“A nice place”

Cuisines: American, Contemporary
Dining options: Breakfast, Reservations
Dining style: Fine Dining
Cross street: Damen & Irving Park
Transit: Brown Line - Irving Park.
Reviewed November 30, 2013

Food was good, although portions a bit small on some of the dishes. The wine list was middling as was the service, but overall the food was quite good. The beet salad in particular was very nice.

1  Thank Suki A

Reviewed October 28, 2013

We went on a Wednesday for the $35 fixed price menu, which turned out to be a good deal as our meals would have cost 15% more if we went on a different night and simply ordered off the menu. What was tantalizing was the fact that we could order from the charcuterie portion of the menu as our appetizer course. I went for the porchetta, a seared slab of Berkshire pork goodness, served with corn fritters and arugula. My wife ordered the Chicken Liver Pate which came with a pea shoot salad and fresh potato bread for spreading (slathering).

We both ordered the walleye as main courses. I am from northwest Iowa, close to the Minnesota border. We grew up on walleye. The walleye at Browntrout was not as flavorful and crispy as my dad's, but it was very, very good and Hey it's walleye.

For dessert, the chocolate souffle for me, which was really a molten lava cake that changed its name to Souffle. Luckily, I love molten chocolate cake. We wife went with the cheese plate. She had the best gorgonzola on her cheese plate that I have ever tasted.

We washed it all down with a bottle of Gewürztraminer and walked out of Browntrout stuffed to the gills.

2  Thank mrandersen0501
Reviewed September 30, 2013

I have wanted to go here for a while but it this neighborhood up Lincoln Ave doesn't crop up on my usual radar screen. The block is now lined with pubs and small restaurants, a quiet improvement of the area. The waitstaff was welcoming and knowledgeable about the menu which featured interesting combinations of locally sourced ingredients. I would have been happy with all of the salads alone. I will go back to try more of the menu's options.

1  Thank Nancy N
Reviewed July 12, 2013

We visited on a quiet night, as I had heard good things about the food at this Lincoln Square restaurant. We were happy to see that the menu included several housemade non-alcoholic drinks as my partner does not drink. He was very pleased with the herbal soda and ordered a couple of them. We started with a mushroom arancini and a tomato salad with fried cheese. The tomatoes were perfectly ripe and very flavorful, the cheese hot & crispy. The arancini were very nicely flavored, with the chef using a light hand on the truffle oil. I had walleye which was very good. My partner had pho which was a little bit disappointing. It came with a nice array of garnishes, but the pho was light on noodles and very light on the meat. It should have been quite a bit heartier, in our opinion. Finally, we finished our meal with strawberry shortbread with lime custard. It was delicious, light and rich at the same time.

1  Thank kbl312
Reviewed June 12, 2013

We went to the Browntrout during the Ribfest. They were serving outside as we'll as inside. We chose to enjoy the lovely inside to eat a very well prepared meal. Our compliments to the chef of the evening, Ronnie. The trout risotto was delicious.

2  Thank stlighthouse