“A Must Do When in Chicago” 5 of 5 bubbles

City Running Tours-Chicago
Book In Advance
Book a Tour
More attraction details
Owner description: Our PERSONALIZED RUNNING TOURS are completely customizable to the day, time, distance and sights you want to see. Your personal running guide will pick you up from where you are staying, run at your pace, provide water and have a camera in case you feel like capturing the moment. At the completion of the run we will return you to where you are staying and you walk away with a souvenir goody bag.
Saint Louis, Missouri
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“A Must Do When in Chicago”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 6, 2013

This review is long overdue. My husband, daughter and some friends drove to Chicago during the MLK Weekend to celebrate my birthday. My friend and I signed up for the 5K run that Sunday. It was super cold (0 degree without the wind chill). I believe our husbands called us crazy for even showing up to do this run. This is my second running tour in Chicago. As always, Marlin is so professional and ensure that we had everything we need even before the day of the actual run.

Marlin took extra time to ensure that my friend and I are still in one piece and have all of our fingers and toes all throughout the run. Unfortunately, I forgot to bring my thermal socks that weekend and had to settle for my regular running socks. No one's fault but mine.

Finally, Marlin never disappoints by making sure that we received all of our photos including the little tidbits of info to go along with them. Posting them on Facebook to share with friends is such a breeze. Thanks again, Marlin for another great running experience. I will definitely return maybe more friends with me this time.

Visited January 2013

Lansing, Mi
21 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 44 helpful votes
“Must do!!!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 30, 2012

I could not wait for my trip to Chicago this time around. After checking on Trip Advisor and becoming an avid runner, I knew this was the tour for me. I have been to Chicago more times than I can count, yet had never taken a "tour" of the town. We always just did our own thing and thought we knew everything about the town.. I knew nothing until this trip.

On 12/26 my husband and I did the Tragic Events Tour with Marlin. We signed up online ( I also signed up for the Chicago River/ Navy Pier trip for 12/28 as well. For $25 a piece, this is a great tour. Before the tour date we got a note from Marlin reminding us where to meet, what to expect, etc. We met at " Cloud Gate" AKA the Bean and started our tour. My husband is NOT an avid runner, he was a little worried about keeping up on the tour. Marlin quickly set his mind at ease. This is not a race, so if you are looking for a PR, you will not find it with this tour.

There is alot of stopping and starting and of course so great photo opportunities. Marlin did a great job of taking photos of us during the tour so you don't have to bring a camera, he's got that covered for you. This tour takes you around town highlighting 4 specific tragic events that happened in Chicago. Only one of the 4 events had I ever heard about. Marlin knew so many facts, his knowledge of each event and story telling was great. We were back to our hotel by 10 AM and had the rest of the day ahead of us.

My husband, the non-runner, found he was easliy able to keep up. He really enjoyed all of the information and the run itself.

After the run, we received information from Marlin highlighting all of the information we saw and including all of the facts he told us about. We also received photos online that he took that we can access for free and upload. Nice perk!!

I had a great time on this tour and highly recommend this to anyone who likes to be active and more around. I plan on doing the Grant Park tour when I return in July. Thanks for a great time Marlin

I did the Chicago River/ Navy Pier tour on 12/28. That was also a great tour, there were only three of us that day. Again, this tour did not disappoint. Learned alot about the Chicago River and Navy Pier area that I had not known about. Again the service with Marlin was increadible. By time I saw him for my second tour I felt like we were old friends. This tour was a little shorter/ quicker than the tragic events. Was back to my hotel by 9 AM with the day ahead of me and my run DONE for the day.

Do these tours...book more than one if you have the time.

1 Thank niasmom
Chicago, Illinois, United States
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 3 helpful votes
“Fascinating, fun, and extremely educational--even to a Chicago native!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 26, 2012

Chicago has been my home for the nineteen years of my life. As a native Chicagoan, I expected to be well-versed in my history of Chicago, but I finished Marlin's Tragic Events 5k ashamed at how little I really knew about my hometown. I was home for winter break from college this December and searched the web for a fun race to do (although I am not in the least bit a seasoned runner). I discovered Marlin's website and thought the running tour looked unique and fun for a decent price. I could not have been happier with my experience. The only runners ended up being a friend and I; Marlin told us he does not have as many customers around the holidays (it was mid-December). Therefore, the group was very intimate, and we were able to ask a lot of questions along the way. To my very pleasant surprise, the tour-run was centered more around the tour aspect than the run. I definitely learned more about Chicago in the two and a half hours I spent with Marlin than I have ever learned before in the 19 years I've lived in the city. The information was all extremely fascinating--even to a Chicago native! Marlin was very funny, extremely knowledgable, and just an all-around great guy! Trying to give us the best bang for our buck, Marlin exceeded the tour's description and discussed architecture and more about Chicago's history in addition to the six major tragic events. I was downtown Chicago nearly every day for four years during high school, and Marlin made me realize how much I had come to mindlessly walk the beautiful, historical rich streets toward my destination. After the tour, I definitely make it a point to look around at the architecture when I venture downtown! Marlin definitely instilled in me a new appreciation for my hometown and, of course, a massive more amount of fascinating history! I thought this run (practically a 6k despite its description as a 5k) was actually underpriced for what I received from it. Part of the proceeds go towards the income of people with disabilities who work to make Chicago Running-Tours even better. I will definitely be going on another running-tour with Marlin!

3 Thank Grace S
Chicago, Illinois, United States
“Tragic Events Tour”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 26, 2012

A friend and I did this tour last week, and while we are native to the Chicagoland area, we learned so many interesting facts that we had no prior knowledge of! Marlin is an extremely knowledge and inspiring man. He was a joy to run with; his kind spirit and use of corny jokes made the run all the more pleasant. The run was perfectly paced, and each location was supplemented with a fascinating story. We saw many beautiful architectural components that I've never picked up on before and learned an array of intriguing facts. The price for what you get is honestly a steal. We were the only people signed up for that day, so we had a personal 2 hour run all for just $25 plus tax. I'd recommend this tour for anyone who wants to learn a little while getting some cardio in. I hope to try one of the other 5Ks soon.

1 Thank Parmida Z
Girard, Kansas
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Running of the City - Chicago!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 18, 2012

FANTASTIC!!! This was an amazing experience! There is no doubt we learned more about Chicago history than any other tour or visit to the city. Our guide, Marlin, was willing to answer questions throughout our 26.2 mile journey!

Marlin accommodated our pace for the running portion which was a huge plus! He even took pictures, uploaded to Flickr, and e-mail many of the facts shared throughout the tour.

Was a great way to celebrate my sister's birthday (Marlin's as well)!!!

Highly recommended!! We will be looking at other city tours!!

1 Thank Lisa B