“Devon ave food tour”

Chicago Food Walks with Rebecca Wheeler
Ranked #14 of 61 Food & Drink in Chicago
More attraction details
Owner description: Rebecca Wheeler offers Chicago visitors and locals an unforgettable experience that’s off the typical tourist path. We go deep into the ethnic neighborhoods that are the heart and soul of the immigrant diversity Chicago is famous for. Each food tour is private for your group of 1-10 guests. Rebecca Wheeler is a cooking instructor and world traveler who serves as a cultural ambassador for Chicago’s diverse ethnic neighborhoods. Each tour features plenty of carefully selected tastings along with authentic insights into the history and cultural significance of the cuisine, backed by her own culinary travels and studies in these countries. The result is a fun, personal and mouth-watering learning experience that will last beyond the tour into your own kitchen and future dining experiences.
Reviewed June 16, 2012

Becca led a great food tour of Devon Ave.-- she really knows a lot about the food of India and Pakistan. If you want to see a great ethnic neighborhood, learn about the food and the culture and eat awesome fresh Indian and Pakistani cuisine sign up for Chicago food tour with Becca. I can't wait to take the Argyle neighborhood tour of Vietnamese food. I loved my tour of Devon Ave!

Reviewed November 6, 2011

Our book club spent the afternoon with Rebecca, and loved it! We are a diverse group, from real 'foodies' to those of us who know where our kitchen is in the house. The tour provided a great experience for all of us. It wasn't only food tasting, but much more. Rebecca spent time with us in local markets and shops, expanding our knowledge on many spices and foods, but also cultural items as well. Of course there was plenty of food tasting along the way as well. This was a great way to spend an afternoon, time well spent in a city with so many wonderful options, we would highly recommend it. Thank you Rebecca!

Reviewed September 3, 2011

My sister and I really enjoyed our food tour on Devon Avenue with Rebecca. Her enthusiasm about cooking is contagious and her specific knowledge of Indian food made the tour fun & interesting. I particularly enjoyed the visits to the Indian markets which was entertaining and informative. I also loved having several opportunities to taste Indian cuisine at numerous stops along our tour. Overall a great experience and Rebecca was a fabulous, friendly and fun guide! Thank you!

Reviewed August 27, 2011

I was passing through Chicago during the week, so I set up a private tour with Rebecca of Devon Street. We worked our way through two grocery stores and a handful of restaurants, looking at many products in detail. I like to cook and have learned a little on my own, but having Rebecca there meant all my questions were answered and she pointed out a lot of things that I wouldn't have noticed on my own. She went out of her way to cover items that are off the beaten path for most of us who didn't grow up eating and cooking Indian and Pakistani food. We discussed the relative health merits of different items, for examples flours that have more protein than wheat, and which spices I should pick up there since I'm not likely to find them at home (unexpected plus - my luggage smells amazing).She has good working relationships with the local store owners and meeting them added to the trip. If I go back to Chicago, I'll see where she's teaching or where else we can go tour while I'm there, and I heartily recommend her to anyone who is interested in cooking or eating Chicago's ethnic cuisine.

Reviewed August 16, 2011

As a local I went on the Argyle food tour with out of town family and was totally impressed. Rebecca opened my eyes to a neighborhood that I had never explored. She showed us what to eat, stopped by for local favorites, where to shop and insider information on food preparation and local culture. It was fun, interesting and educational. Rebecca shared her vast knowledge of the local area and provided answers to numerous food questions. Along the tour we had great bites and I will now return to the area for further exploration and of course some great local food.