“Don't miss this one”

Smith Museum of Stained Glass Windows
Reviewed January 4, 2014

Sometimes I'm drawn to Navy Pier JUST to see this glorious display of beautiful stained glass. And for sure if you're at Navy Pier for a play, movie or exhibit, make sure that you take the time to stroll past these glorious windows.

Reviewed December 21, 2013

I learned so much about the various types of stained glass and eras of decorative glass. Phenomenal collection. The only thing I didn't like was it was hard to take pictures with all of the tourists walking through. It was hard to spend time looking at any of the pieces in the main hallway, as people would either walk in front of you or expect you to move for them. The main hallway is a pedestrian walkway first, a museum second. I would recommend finding out from the locals what days and times would be slowest at the pier before visiting with the intention of a leisurely museum visit. Also: FREE!

Reviewed November 26, 2013

Disclaimer: My wife and I have always appreciated the beauty of stained and leaded glass, and she was a stained glass artist for several years so we probably appreciate the work and talent that goes into it more than other people. We went to the Navy Pier primarily to see this museum. We were surprised at how nice and large this museum is, especially considering there is no admission fee! There are a great number of stained glass windows in a long hall, most of them very beautiful, colorful and beautifully displayed. Many of them were rescued from houses and buildings from the Chicago area and are organized by architectural style. Some of the most extraordinary on display were made by Louis Comfort Tiffany and John LaFarge. My wife and I spent quite a while closely checking out some of those. Our 29-year old son walked through a little more quickly, but even he stopped to admire several of them.

1  Thank JimCarrCO
Reviewed November 2, 2013 via mobile

The stained glass museum is unusual in that it is situated in a very long, meandering hallway. While some of the glass is modern, much of the stained glass dates to the 1890's. Included in the museum are some examples of work by Louis Comfort Tiffany. Take your time and enjoy the work.

Reviewed November 2, 2013

I can’t believe this is free!! We thoroughly enjoyed looking at all these beautiful stained glass pieces – windows saved from various structures around Chicago. Although the “facility” is basically a hallway (very long, I might add), the windows are beautiful, and worth the effort to go and see them. If you are on Navy Pier, I would consider this a must. You can take however long you want, depending on your interest in the pieces exhibited.