Karyn's On Green
Dining options: Lunch, Breakfast, Dinner, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Dining
Neighborhood: West Loop
Reviewed December 29, 2013

My roommate (a vegetarian) and I (a carnivore) recently went to Karyn's on Green for a night out. I thought it would be a good place with a completely vegan menu my roommate could enjoy and I was sure to find something on. Karyn's did not disappoint with delicious food and variety.

I started off with the butternut squash soup, which was not super flavorful but tasty. For my entree I ordered the BBQ seitan. Not only was the seitan very well done, the sides of cornbread stuffing and greens were amazing. I would order the seitan just for those alone. My roommate ordered the roasted portabello, which was tasty and seasoned very well. The side of greens was tasty, but the squash also served on the side was slightly under-cooked.

The wait staff was attentive, although it took a while to get the check after we had finished eating. I also enjoyed the mocktail menu, which had interesting drink options even if one did not want alcohol. Atmosphere was classy and with all entrees $12 it was affordable.

All in all, this was a good experience. There are plenty of other dishes I would not mind trying there, even as a meat lover.

Reviewed December 24, 2013

My son and girlfriend took me here for lunch. As a carnivore, I was delightfully surprised with the "reuben" sandwich.Peppered seitan, caramelized sauerkraut, thousand island dressing seasoned to perfection to given the taste and texture of corned beef. Delicious steak fries on the side made for a great lunch. Definitely could do more vegan meals this well prepared.

Reviewed December 12, 2013

My wife and I were visiting from Florida. We absolutely loved the food! I am a vegan and my wife is not. Both of us enjoyed our meal. The "cheese sampler" was incredible! We tried several different courses and were amazed at the creativity and tastiness of each item. We would highly recommend to anyone who is willing to explore new cuisine and appreciates fine food.

Reviewed November 25, 2013

My husband found this vegan restaurant after surfing on the web. The menu looked great so we were excited to go there. We weren't let down.
The butternut squash soup was so delicious. We also had the black bean soup and the raw broccoli soup. So yummy. The broccoli soup was at room temperature. It was made with a lot of garlic. We loved the kale salads and the sesame dressing. I also had a corn muffin - gluten free which was fantastic. I didn't like the muffin that had raisins in it. I found it too dense and sweet. The almond milk that came with the muffin was incredible. I wasn't a fan of the scrambled tofu dish my husband had but he liked it. We were only able to order gluten free options but the other options also looked amazing! I would go back there in a heartbeat.
The service was great. I'm not a fan of the decor but it was very clean and great sitting by the window.
I overheard a little girl sitting next to us say it was the best lunch she ever had!

Reviewed November 4, 2013

On a recent trip to Chicago, my cousin took my boyfriend and I out to this adorable little restaurant near her apartment. It was called Karyn's On Green. It was surprisingly not too busy for a saturday evening. I could immediately tell that it was a classy establishment. We sat down after a very short five minute wait while they prepared a table for us. We were promptly greeted by a friendly waiter with some "vegan" water. A cute little joke. We perused the menu and I was happily surprised to find out that the entire menu was vegan. I enjoy eating on the healthy side so I was very pleased with this. I ordered the burger which was made of sweet potatoes and black beans. It was delicious. One of the best vegan burgers I have ever had. Overall I was thoroughly impressed with this restaurant! I would definitely recommend it to others!