“High-quality but conservative menu”
Review of Henri - CLOSED

Henri
Cuisines: American
Dining options: Late Night, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Neighborhood: Downtown / The Loop
Cross street: Madison
Description: From the creators of The Gage comes Henri — energetically American, French influenced. Heralded as an "instant classic", Henri offers fine dining without pretention. Under the direction of Executive Chef Chris Gawronski, Henri’s menu is influenced by the refining principles of classical cuisine. Innovative dishes like kampachi crudo join traditional favorites such as foie gras, steak tartare, Dover sole and ribeye au poivre. The tasting menu highlights the bounty of the season, accompanied by perfectly paired wines by sommelier Jason Wagner. The carefully curated wine list is almost exclusively biodynamic, while cocktails are both creative and classic. Reminiscent of a European salon, Henri provides an elegant respite from bustling Michigan Avenue.
Reviewed April 29, 2012

I shared a meal here with my wife, brother, and sister-in-law. The tuna pavé appetizer was excellent, sashimi-quality tuna with a mild horseradish and crême fraîche sauce (but fraîche was misspelled on the menu!). I followed with duck breast, served with an excellent creamy foie gras, but the sauce wasn't quite up to standard. My brother had the chicken Sullivan, which he judged cooked to perfection. The pappardelle was good, and the celeriac soup was delicious. The wine list was overpriced, We enjoyed our Elena Schiava Alto Adige, light and flavorful, but at $55 it was overpriced. The service was excellent.

Reviewed April 17, 2012

While in the city for a convention, stopped in for dessert, drinks and coffee. Also checked out the dinner menu for a return visit. Atmosphere, service, food...all very good here. Creative options make this a great destination for a special occasion. Looking forward to stopping in next time were in the windy city.

Reviewed March 29, 2012

This is an excellent fine dine experience. I really enjoyed the prawns appetizer special and the lobster entree last night specifically, The ambiance of the restaurant is quite sophisticated but not stuffy and our server was fun and extremely efficient. I recommend this restaurant to foodies and couples out with other couples for a nice night out.. They have outdoor seating which is nice in the Summer.

Reviewed March 7, 2012

While the overall food, atmosphere and service is great at Henri, the soups are sublime. We've eaten there twice in two years when we visit Chicago (first time by accident, second time by intention) and the soup of the days are simply on another level compared to other places we've eaten (and we've eaten at what are generally considered top notch restaurants around the world). Not the cheapest restaurant in town, and not many inexpensive wines, but I would suggest it is a restaurant to "try out"--I don't think you will be disappointed. I usually don't expend the time to write reviews unless something really moves me, either positively or negatively. This restaurant is a definite positive.

Reviewed February 20, 2012

A very well appoinedand and comfortable restaurant. The culinary array was delectible and it was very easy to select any one of them. The wine list was mostly imported and impressive, but we did order the only American red wine on the wine list which was from Washington....it was outstanding. Needless-to-say we forgot the name of the wine, but it is the only American red on the wine list. I would add this restaurant to the list of "you have to eat here"!