“Feels Like a Hidden Gem”
Review of Ruxbin Kitchen

Ruxbin Kitchen
Ranked #760 of 9,832 Restaurants in Chicago
Cuisines: American, French
Dining options: Reservations
Dining options: Reservations
Reviewed September 3, 2013

When my friends suggested Ruxbin Kitchen for dinner and said we would have to get there at 5, I agreed but was wondering why in the world we had to get there so early. So worth it! We waiting outside before the place opened and then were among the first people seated (apparently there is normally quite a wait). The place is BYOB, which is good to know beforehand.

For an appetizer, our table of four shared the garlic fries with Chipotle aioli. My husband and I each ordered the only vegetarian item on the menu, the penne in a garden (market vegetables, crispy penne, brined tofu, ratatouille, oyster mushroom) and ended up being so happy that we "had to have" the vegetarian dish. The other people at our table got the scallops and pork loin and were very pleased.

Although odd feedback to include in a review, I need to say that the bathroom is hands down the coolest I have ever visited in a restaurant. My friends told me I would love it but would give me no more details. I feel like I have to do the same and just say that it's awesome.

1  Thank Kate W

Reviewed May 31, 2013

Ate at Ruxbin for a wedding reception. The restaurant is relatively small, but that only adds to the experience. The multiple course menu was delicious and well portioned . For an out of towner from Tennessee the entire meal was great and I would definitely recommend anyone to visit. Be sure to visit the bathroom as well its a single stall with a spy entrance feel to it.

Reviewed May 3, 2013

Facts:
- Came in on a Friday night at 7pm.
- Wait was 45 minutes.
- BYOB (Bring your own booze)
- No reservations

Suggestions:
- While waiting, walk to Chicago Street and shop around. There are some cute vintage stores. We picked up two bottles of wine at lush.
- Just go with yourself and another person. The wait will be shorter and this restaurant mainly has tables for 2.

Pros:
- Popcorn was the equivalent of the bread basket.
- We didn't even wait that long, but the kitchen gave us a free basket of the garlic fries for waiting.
- Had the flat bread with goat cheese as an appetizer and that was AMAZING.
- For the entrees, we had steak. It was cooked medium rare. Tender and juicy.
- Bathroom is a cool experience. Check it out. Not as cool as it has been hyped but its an experience.

Cons:
- Dessert: Pineapple upside cake- Portion was a little small and not memorable to me.

Reviewed March 19, 2013

Went on a Saturday evening with friends and were told we could eat at 9:30. We brought a bottle of wine and everyone ordered something different – everything was incredible but I must say the dessert is what stuck with me. We ordered one of each (there were two on the menu that night) and when they arrived, I thought they looked like a hot mess. Upon tasting them, I changed my mind and didn’t care. Best dessert I’ve had in a long time – innovative and fun. Definitely check out the restroom as other reviewers have mentioned. Had so much fun!

Reviewed March 14, 2013

Not really sure if this place is my thing, but not going to give it a bad review for my own issues...so we'll go with a rating right in the middle.

So, went to Ruxbin on a whim a couple of weeks ago with a friend. It was my very first BYOB experience EVER. This threw me off a bit, just simply because there was no real bar or waiting area to hang in while waiting for a table. This place was packed, too, so the wait was more than a couple of minutes. We were told by the very nice, but busy hostess that we could wait upstairs and she would be right up with a mixer for us. We got to the top and and the only table was filled...as was the bench along the table. We tried to just stand, but were getting all in the way of the kitchen staff. My very outgoing friend finally just asked the people at the table to slide over and make room for us. They did just that, but we were quickly told by a waitress that we should get up because she was about to serve that table their food. Arrrgggghhhh. I was getting slightly irritated...I needed a drink ASAP. We asked this same waitress about the mixers we hadn't received and apparently asked the wrong person because this seemed to fluster her. Finally, we got our mixers and got some peace inducing liquor in me. Our wait went by fast after this and we enjoyed talking with the table of people who had briefly let us sit with them.

A table opens up and I am super excited at this point as I had been sitting by the kitchen watching the food come out. It all looked so good and smelled so good! The hostess came and got us and was very nice and apologetic for our wait. Our waitress was also so nice and accomodating. After perusing the menu, we decided on a few appetizers and I decided on an entree of shrimp and grits. The waitress asked me if I minded the sausage that came in the grits and I assured her I was fine. The appetizers arrived and were SOOOO good so I was super pumped for my shrimp and grits. My entree arrived and I think my eyes almost bugged out of my head. Being from the South, I had a completely different expectation for this dish. The grits were baked/fried into a patty, there were 3 shrimp, 3 mussels, and a giant prawn with eyeballs and legs and antennae staring at me. Errr...this was my fault, I suppose. I don't like my food staring at me. Also, the mussels appeared to be smiling at me...how is that even possible??? Anyway, I ate only the grits patty and the 3 shrimp. They were good, but I was not full. My friend ate my food that still had faces...she said they were very good.

Now, my favorite part of the experience...the bathroom!!! The coolest bathroom I have seen in a restaurant. You enter this little round portal that gives you the impression of a time travel portal or something and it spins you around to the bathroom. So cool! OK, maybe it doesn't take much to impress me...

Overall, the place is very cute, the staff is super friendly (except for the 1 flustered waitress I mentioned earlier) and the food is mostly good (just a little frightening to me). I will recommend this place to others and will probably give it another go.

Been to Ruxbin Kitchen? Share your experiences!