“adorable”

Cuisines: American
Dining options: Breakfast, Late Night
Neighborhood: Near North Side
Reviewed March 18, 2013

Such a cute place. I love it. If I lived in Chicago this is where I'd be every weekend. We had eggs, toast fruit, hash toast and pancakes. Everything was simple and fresh. Very good. Very pleased. The must place to go for hangovers or jetlags!

Reviewed March 7, 2013

WOW! I havent eaten here since it was Michael's & also Mitchell's North. What a HUGE improvement! Excellent service, greeted with a cheerful smile & was seated right away, and it was about 8:30 in the morning on a Monday. The whole vibe of the restaurant is very comforting, yet very modern. Cleanest place I've eaten out in a LONG time. And the food was very delicious! I would recommend to all who visit the Chicago downtown area, go North on Clark St from the city's center & stop when ya get to North St./Clark St. :)

Reviewed March 6, 2013

Wow! I usually dont write reviews but I saw a review that threw me off! Somebody complained about racism in this place and that this restaurant is only for caucasians. Its 2013 not 1940! Some people should snap out of their complex problems. Im hispanic and have been eating at Ellys for the past two years and never had any issues. On the contrary everyone is so nice. Let me add the fact that I was served at Ellys by an African American sweet lady. I also noticed that their employees are a variety of cultures, colors, sexuality and so forth, so I dont understand how someone could say that. My overall experince at Ellys is always good. The food is your typical dinner don't expect anything fancy but expect to see a LOT of food. Oh and try the pancakes delicious!

Reviewed March 5, 2013

If you're African American do not go there. You will feel very disrespected and your food will be tainted. This is a restaurant for Caucasians. Look at the photo above. Modern day racism..I am appalled...I was very sick...

1  Thank truthshallsetyoufr33
Reviewed February 7, 2013

There is nothing more satisfying than breakfast at a neighborhood restaurant. For a few years, the southwest corner of Clark and North Ave. was vacant after a previous restaurant at the site went out of business. Finally, Elly's Pancake House opened and life is good again. Except on weekends, when Elly's is standing-room-only for breakfast. Like Yogi Berra once said: "Nobody goes there anymore because it's so crowded." The orange juice is fresh, the apple crepes are wonderful and I'm big on the Eggs Benedict and corned beef hash. The service is friendly. Try the New England clam chowder on Friday. The menu is good ole home cooking, nothing fancy, just good food and lots of neighborhood conversation.