“Worth the wait”
Review of Girl & The Goat

Girl & The Goat
Reserve with OpenTable
Girl & The Goat is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #7 of 9,812 Restaurants in Chicago
Cuisines: American
Good for: Romantic, Bar scene, Special occasions, Local cuisine
Dining options: Lunch, Late Night, Breakfast, Dinner, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Dining
Neighborhood: West Loop
Cross street: Halsted
Transit: #8 Halsted Bus at Randolph
Description: Girl & the Goat has been serving fun foods, craft beers, and making wine in a rustic and kick-butt environment since summer 2010. The restaurant opens at 4:30 every day, and stays open until 11pm on weeknights and until midnight on Fridays and Saturdays (until those last late night eaters scrape their fork across the plate for the last time, or finish licking their plates until they're shiny and clean). The Goat's menu is divided into three categories: Vegetable, Fish, and of course Meat--while vegetable, fish, or meat are respectively the main stars of their categories, there are crossovers in each area so you'll get a little bit of everything. Bread is baked daily, and there are always new creations on the menu. Girl & the Goat sits in the West Loop smack dab in the Randolph Restaurant Corridor, but the location is still gritty enough to appeal to the chef’s integrity. The Goat has a variety of seating choices, including a comfortable lounge, bar seats, standard table seating, and four seats close enough to the kitchen line that you might be asked to help.Girl & the Goat blended their own wine, and it's tasty. There are beers on tap from Three Floyd’s and a couple others. If you're lucky, you might come across the elusive collaboration beers that Stephanie personally crafted with a couple of beer buddy cohorts. In addition to tap beers, there's also a bunch of bottles to choose from. Girl & the Goat is open 7 days a week, because The Goat is a tireless beast, and besides, who needs rest anyway? Girl & the Goat accepts reservations but always welcomes walk-ins, nomads, adventurers, and those of you who don’t like to plan.
Reviewed December 8, 2013

Went on a Saturday night without a reservation. got in in about an hour. Excellent food, presentation and service. It is a bit unconventional menu, but you will be rewarded for taking some chances. Don't let the closeness of the tables bother you. We ended up have great conversations with the folks next to us and that really added to the experience.

Reviewed December 4, 2013

Like many others in Chicago, I was excited to try The Girl & the Goat. We were seated for our reservation right away. The atmosphere was very lively and fun; lots of groups, as opposed to couples, out for dinner and there was definitely a buzz especially for a random Tuesday night in December. I'm not sure the music was necessary because it was plenty loud with all the conversations going on. We had a very attentive, if slightly over-familiar, waitress. She came by frequently but not too frequently. She explained things on the menu and was very knowledgeable. She did suggest 5 plates for the 2 of us which was too much. We had the sauteed green beens which were very good; a little salty for my taste but excellent. My favorite of the dishes we ordered was the chickpea fritters. Really, really good. I wish the dish had been as generous as the others because I loved it and wanted more. The roasted broccoli was my second favorite. My husband had the diver scallops which he liked but I noticed he did not eat the accompanying brussels sprouts. He also had the sugo. I am a very fussy eater so there was not much on the menu for me. Things like duck tongues and pork bellies are not to my liking. Just keep this in mind if you have picky eaters in your group. We did not have dessert because we were too full (and had leftovers) but they sounded delicious. It's easy to see why this place is a success. It's definitely a place everyone should try. I would say more for group/ larger celebrations than anything romantic.

Reviewed December 4, 2013 via mobile

The food here is always fabulous and consistent. Everything from the roasted pig face to the green beans and cauliflower are delicious!

If you can't get a reservation (which is highly likely considering), just go to the bar and wait for seating there.

The most incredible part aside from the food is the bar. One of the only places in Chicago (& the US) to carry pappy van winkle bourbon!!!!

If you're chasing the white whale in food and drinks, this is the place!

1  Thank Tariq R
Reviewed December 3, 2013

We did a tasting menu of 5 course, the food was very good, but the best was the ambiance, the kitchen view and the service.

Reviewed December 2, 2013

I would have rated it a 4.5 if that were an option. My husband, 13 and 11 year old daughters and I dined here on the Tuesday before Thanksgiving. Reservations at a mid-evening time are not easy to obtain. In mid-November, I must have lucked into a recent cancellation because I managed a 7:00 p.m. reservation while they were booked into January.

The restaurant has a energetic and fun feel. The place was packed. Our waitress was knowledgeable and actually friendly. She definitely knew the menu.

We ordered 4 veg. dishes, 2 seafood, 2 Meat, an order of bread, and 3 desserts. We also ordered 3 alcoholic drinks and 2 delicious specialty fruit juice drinks for my daughters. The total was about $205 with tax. For us, this is an expensive meal, but it was worth the cost--no regrets. The food is cozy, rustic, pretty, and experimental all in one yummy plate. My daughter doesn't like savory squash dishes or cauliflower and yet her two favorites were the Squash Wontons and the roasted cauliflower. The scallops and the tuna were also outstanding; the vegetable accompaniments were just as good as the seafood. I almost never eat bread anymore, but wow, order it! I would make the arduous trip from the burbs just for the bread.

The desserts were our only disappointment. The apple buckle was ok. We are a dark chocolate loving family, but the bittersweet chocolate dish was not to any of our liking. We were all pleasantly surprised by the pb & j. If only I could get a real pb & j sandwich to taste that good!

There is street parking nearby, but it seems to be mostly a 2 hour limit.

1  Thank 60004Kathy

Been to Girl & The Goat? Share your experiences!