“Fabulous Food, Fabulous Experience”
Review of Girl & The Goat

Girl & The Goat
Reserve with OpenTable
Girl & The Goat is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #7 of 9,812 Restaurants in Chicago
Cuisines: American
Good for: Special occasions, Local cuisine, Bar scene, Romantic
Dining options: Breakfast, Late Night, Dinner, Lunch, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Dining
Neighborhood: West Loop
Cross street: Halsted
Transit: #8 Halsted Bus at Randolph
Description: Girl & the Goat has been serving fun foods, craft beers, and making wine in a rustic and kick-butt environment since summer 2010. The restaurant opens at 4:30 every day, and stays open until 11pm on weeknights and until midnight on Fridays and Saturdays (until those last late night eaters scrape their fork across the plate for the last time, or finish licking their plates until they're shiny and clean). The Goat's menu is divided into three categories: Vegetable, Fish, and of course Meat--while vegetable, fish, or meat are respectively the main stars of their categories, there are crossovers in each area so you'll get a little bit of everything. Bread is baked daily, and there are always new creations on the menu. Girl & the Goat sits in the West Loop smack dab in the Randolph Restaurant Corridor, but the location is still gritty enough to appeal to the chef’s integrity. The Goat has a variety of seating choices, including a comfortable lounge, bar seats, standard table seating, and four seats close enough to the kitchen line that you might be asked to help.Girl & the Goat blended their own wine, and it's tasty. There are beers on tap from Three Floyd’s and a couple others. If you're lucky, you might come across the elusive collaboration beers that Stephanie personally crafted with a couple of beer buddy cohorts. In addition to tap beers, there's also a bunch of bottles to choose from. Girl & the Goat is open 7 days a week, because The Goat is a tireless beast, and besides, who needs rest anyway? Girl & the Goat accepts reservations but always welcomes walk-ins, nomads, adventurers, and those of you who don’t like to plan.
Reviewed August 20, 2013

My husband and I are Top Chef fans, so on a recent trip to Chicago, we had to try Girl & The Goat restaurant, co-owned by Stephanie Izard, season 4 winner. She's also the executive chef at Girl & The Goat. We sat outside, elbow to elbow with perfect strangers - and this turned out to be a wonderful experience. Our fellow diners were friendly, fun, and passed on tips regarding the food. And the food? FABULOUS. They serve it family style and refer to it as a tasting menu: you get enough to taste and enjoy, but not so much that you're too full to try something else. They recommend you order 4 or 5 separate dishes (for 2 people). My favorite: the chickpea fritters and the roasted pig face (here's where having friendly diners nearby comes in handy: the "pig face" name really threw me, but I was assured that a cute little pig face/nose would not be served and that I would love the dish - they were right!).

Remember to save room for dessert!

Reviewed August 19, 2013

My husband and I were in Chicago for the weekend and had dinner here on Friday night. We absolutely loved it. We sat at the chef's table,which basically means you're facing the chefs as they're working. We had a great time with Katie and Tara and they gave us some extra food to nibble on. The food was amazing. Be sure to have the roasted cauliflower and the zucchini bread is fantastic. If they have budino on the dessert menu...have it. It is fantastic!!

Reviewed August 19, 2013

First, I need to say that the service was quite chaotic; I went for reservation by 9.30pm, and they told me that until 11pm I could not have a seat (even though they close by 11pm). I arrived to the place by 10.50pm, and they suggested us to take a sit in the bar, and they could serve the food there. Finally, after ordering the food, they move us to a table. So I assume part of this chaotic situation in part because my reservation was too late... so it's fine. About the food, a simple word: AMAZING! My favorite dish was the green beans. The best I've never eaten in my life! In addition we had a bread with goat cheese that was also incredible. And the rest of the plates we tried were also outstanding. Reasonable price overall. Definitely it was worth to wait. And the decoration of the place is really great, and very well done. Be sure to try if you visit Chicago (and to make a reservation in advance!)

Reviewed August 19, 2013

Food and service were great! The music in the place was waaaay to loud. The acoustics of the building amplify everything to the point that it was difficult to carry on a conversation across the table. If not for the noise I would return in an instant, because of the noise I will look else where. There are too many great choices right next door to have to tolerated that type of noise!

Reviewed August 18, 2013

I was in Chicago for work, so i went with a couple colleagues for dinner on a weeknight. We did not have reservations, so we had to wait about 90 minutes to be seated. In the meantime we waited about 10-15 for seats at the bar for two of the three of us, which we apparently timed just right because the couple who sat at the bar before us waited like an hour for their seats. So needless to say you either need to have time to kill or reservations to truly enjoy. We had some drinks and a couple of appetizers while waiting and then got some more plates to share. It is not your run of the mill menu and we had some fun items that incorporated escargot, duck tongue and some goat. It all tasted wonderful though! And the tasting plates were reasonably sized so you could enjoy several plates. It was a really great dinner and worth the hype I would say. On that night I was okay to wait, but that would be the only downside on out trip - the wait. So make sure you have some patience and it will be rewarded :).