“One of the finest restaurants I have ever been to.”
5 of 5 bubbles Review of Girl & The Goat

Girl & The Goat
Reserve with OpenTable
Girl & The Goat is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #11 of 9,493 Restaurants in Chicago
Cuisines: American
Good for: Bar scene, Large groups, Local cuisine, Special occasions
Dining options: Dinner, Late Night, Full Bar, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Valet Parking, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Dining style: Casual Dining
Neighborhood: West Loop
Cross street: Halsted
Transit: #8 Halsted Bus at Randolph
Description: Girl & the Goat has been serving fun foods, craft beers, and making wine in a rustic and kick-butt environment since summer 2010. The restaurant opens at 4:30 every day, and stays open until 11pm on weeknights and until midnight on Fridays and Saturdays (until those last late night eaters scrape their fork across the plate for the last time, or finish licking their plates until they're shiny and clean). The Goat's menu is divided into three categories: Vegetable, Fish, and of course Meat--while vegetable, fish, or meat are respectively the main stars of their categories, there are crossovers in each area so you'll get a little bit of everything. Bread is baked daily, and there are always new creations on the menu. Girl & the Goat sits in the West Loop smack dab in the Randolph Restaurant Corridor, but the location is still gritty enough to appeal to the chef’s integrity. The Goat has a variety of seating choices, including a comfortable lounge, bar seats, standard table seating, and four seats close enough to the kitchen line that you might be asked to help.Girl & the Goat blended their own wine, and it's tasty. There are beers on tap from Three Floyd’s and a couple others. If you're lucky, you might come across the elusive collaboration beers that Stephanie personally crafted with a couple of beer buddy cohorts. In addition to tap beers, there's also a bunch of bottles to choose from. Girl & the Goat is open 7 days a week, because The Goat is a tireless beast, and besides, who needs rest anyway? Girl & the Goat accepts reservations but always welcomes walk-ins, nomads, adventurers, and those of you who don’t like to plan.
Greater London, United Kingdom
“One of the finest restaurants I have ever been to.”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 5, 2013

Recommended to me by a friend in London prior to departure telling me to anticipate an experience you will not forget certainly lived up to my expectations. The restaurant is so popular that it has bookings 3 months ahead but I was told that you can drop in at say, 6:30 pm and may be lucky to sit at the bar or in the courtyard where seats can be available. Well, we sat at the bar as all tables were booked and our barman Nathan soon made us feel welcome giving us a list of cocktails of names I have never seen in the UK. I settled for a 'Charlie Ross' served in a tumbler that had a kick as strong as a Chicago Bull!! The menu, vegetarian, fish, meat needed the help of Nathan to explain some of the dishes. We had a shared starter which was delicious and then I had a crisp braised port shank, grilled spring onions kimchee, buttermilk dressing and naan. Tender, succulent and delicious. Desserts followed, also intriguing and another Charlie Ross to finish the experience. I have visited 53 countries in the world, ate at some of the finest restaurants but 'The Girl and the Goat', with a wine list of over 149 choices is nothing short of spectacular.

Visited June 2013
2 Thank laurence7

• Korean first
Chicago, Illinois
“AMAZING!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 4, 2013

Stephanie Izarrd is a fantastic chef and not only is this one of the best restaurants in Chicago - it is our favorite! The Pig Face is delicious, the bread and butters are yummy, the empanadas are excellent, califlower - I didn't even like cauliflower and now I love it because of this restaurant. One small suggestion - I have been there 7+ times with my husband and friends and I can never find a wine that I like - but don't worry, that won't stop me from coming back and enjoying all of the amazing food each and every time!

• Visited March 2013
Aruba
“Yes, yes, yes!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 30, 2013

Very cool design that is still charming and welcoming (even the bathrooms downstairs are cool). The restaurant is incredibly popular, so reserving months in advance is a must. There is fun noise and high energy in the place and the servers are very helpful and friendly. The menu is unique and fun, and dishes have a surprising and well-balanced combination of ingredients. We did have to look up the definition of some ingredients that were new to us, and we thought we knew food. The dishes are just delicious. I never knew that even cauliflower could have so much great flavor! Chicago, of course, has many incredible restaurants, and Girl & the Goat is one of the top ones, for sure.

Austin, Texas
“Great food, insanely loud, everyone left stressed out”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 30, 2013

I was told we were "so lucky" to get a reservation at all-- nevermind that it was for 11 pm. So we were looking forward to this. Reservationist said we'd get a call two days before and it was possible we'd be able to get in early. Two days before, no call. At this point we're traveling to Chicago. So when we land, I call and say, "I never got a confirmation call. I want to be sure we're on for six people at 11 on Day X." Reservation lady says, "We confirmed with you via telephone yesterday for FIVE people." I have no record of the call and definitely did not talk to anyone. She is a little put out but says she can "probably" accommodate us but it may be later than 11. OK. We get there about 30 minutes early to have a drink. The din is cacophonous. We have to shout to be heard, by each other, by the bartender, by the hostess. OK, it's 10:30 on a Friday, I get that it's a hot spot. But the hard surfaces everywhere mean the sound bounces all over the place. We're finally seated about 10 minutes after 11, at a table at the far end of a long line of tables. So, the server needs to lean over the table and shout and we have to shout back, because she can't walk around to the other side of the table without going around a long line of about six other tables. The complicated guidelines for ordering are explained, and finally we order. The food is great. Every course is lovely and inventive, there is much sharing and enjoying of the dishes, and actually I thought the prices quite reasonable. Next time I'm definitely getting the pig's face. But the atmosphere was stressful. It got in the way of enjoying the food and the company, and obviously the server was stressed out because of the noise and the layout, so she was a bit curt and terse. As the crowd thinned out a bit, the noise level dropped, and things calmed down. By the end she was joking with us and didn't even mind a split check (sorry, server-- NOT MY IDEA.). So here's my advice for the owners: get some curtains or something. Deal with the noise issue. Seriously, my stomach hurt because of the noise, and it was not what I expected to experience from such an esteemed establishment. Call me old fashioned, but I'm not there for a rock show. I'm there to eat, girl!

1 Thank Sara B
Poulsbo, Washington
“Screw the pizza and hot dogs THIS is where to eat in Chicago!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 30, 2013 via mobile

My husband and I are on town because i turned a conference into a long weekend vacation. No reservations were available and we were told that seats were first come at the bar. Luckily, when we arrived a nice couple was cashing out and offered us their seats. We were immediately greeted by 2 servers and given drink and wine lists. As a wine lover I was THRILLED to see not your everyday wines on the list! The cocktail list was also very intriguing and we sampled that as well.

After we got our drinks our server came back and presented the menus to us. She asked about dietary restrictions. I am a pescetarian, my husband is not. She crossed off menu items that may be vague that i couldn't have and let me know the ones that could be altered for me. I told her that i couldn't let my husband come there and not try the pig face and she assured us that its portion was not overwhelming for one.

The only hard part nowwas what to choose from such am awesome, eclectic menu? We started with the "not Campbell's" bread. The mushroombbutter was HEAVENLY! We also had the raw oysters, which were extremely clean. Next were chickpea fritters. I have to say they were awesome and my favorite choice of the night. The veggies with them were also perfect! I've had nothing like then before. Squash flower and crab Rangoon was next and also tasty and unique. The grilled octopus was next. Many different flavors going on. Loved the charred greens and the octopus was cooked perfectly. Lastly was the main event of hubby's pig face. It came out on a beautiful platter. I tried the sauce before all was mixed and it was amazing. He absolutely loved it! I tired a bite with only potato, egg and sauce and know that it was wonderful.

We got the dessert menu, but were not particularly blown away by the choices there like we were for dinner. The dessert cocktails were inspired, but we opted just for coffee, which was a delicious brew.

Girl and the Goat was a restaurant experience like no other. The energy is high and non stop. The music was great and ever changing. I was pleasantly surprised at the play mix. The open kitchen put on a show. This is the place not to miss in Chicago!