“Huge Disappointment!”
Review of Girl & The Goat

Girl & The Goat
Reserve with OpenTable
Girl & The Goat is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #10 of 9,668 Restaurants in Chicago
Cuisines: American
Good for: Romantic, Special occasions, Local cuisine, Bar scene
Dining options: Dinner, Lunch, Late Night, Breakfast, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Dining
Neighborhood: West Loop
Cross street: Halsted
Transit: #8 Halsted Bus at Randolph
Description: Girl & the Goat has been serving fun foods, craft beers, and making wine in a rustic and kick-butt environment since summer 2010. The restaurant opens at 4:30 every day, and stays open until 11pm on weeknights and until midnight on Fridays and Saturdays (until those last late night eaters scrape their fork across the plate for the last time, or finish licking their plates until they're shiny and clean). The Goat's menu is divided into three categories: Vegetable, Fish, and of course Meat--while vegetable, fish, or meat are respectively the main stars of their categories, there are crossovers in each area so you'll get a little bit of everything. Bread is baked daily, and there are always new creations on the menu. Girl & the Goat sits in the West Loop smack dab in the Randolph Restaurant Corridor, but the location is still gritty enough to appeal to the chef’s integrity. The Goat has a variety of seating choices, including a comfortable lounge, bar seats, standard table seating, and four seats close enough to the kitchen line that you might be asked to help.Girl & the Goat blended their own wine, and it's tasty. There are beers on tap from Three Floyd’s and a couple others. If you're lucky, you might come across the elusive collaboration beers that Stephanie personally crafted with a couple of beer buddy cohorts. In addition to tap beers, there's also a bunch of bottles to choose from. Girl & the Goat is open 7 days a week, because The Goat is a tireless beast, and besides, who needs rest anyway? Girl & the Goat accepts reservations but always welcomes walk-ins, nomads, adventurers, and those of you who don’t like to plan.
Chicago, Illinois
“Huge Disappointment!”
Reviewed June 5, 2012

We looked forward to eating at this very trendy, hot spot of a restaurant with the celebrity chef, and all the hoopla of it's reputation, etc. We have been trying to get a reservation for awhile but at these "trendy" places, you know how that goes. We tried for a Sunday afternoon at 5pm and had no luck. Can you believe that? Wow this place is popular! But wait, a last minute cancellation brought us in at 5:45 pm. We were finally going to see what all the hype was all about. Our party of 6 was seated on time with no waiting. The place was hopping and continued throughout our meal. The staff was very friendly, professional, and efficient. At no time did we feel rushed to hurry up, finish, and leave, so the table could be turned. We liked that. So what was so bad to get a poor rating? Here's what:
The portions are relatively small and our server suggested we order 2-3 items per person, which would be shared and would come out of the kitchen: whenever!! The chef's cannot plate the food courses or get them out of the kitchen in any semblence of order; our broccolli dish was served right before the dessert menu arrived and the cauliflower dish never arrived.
We had so many courses (about 15) that by the time we left, our palates were in overload mode. We felt that there was no lingering memory of any significant dish. All the dishes were prepared properly, presented well, and identified by the server's helpers. At the end, we could fondly remember but only a few. Talk about a mismash of delectable delights!
We had a couple of $100 bottles of wine. You would think that such "fine wine" would be served in a wine glass. What we got were some oversized tumblers of glass that could be used as milkshake containers or flower pots. I like my wine in a wine glass, how about you?
The noise level was conversation unfriendly, especially with a table of six. The eclectic selection of background music was allright but the volume was too loud for conversing without shouting across the table and I have excellent hearing.
Overall, my expectations were high and this place failed, supremely, failed to deliver. If I wanted family dining I could go to an oriental retaurant where at least the portions are sized for sharing which is what we were told to do here to get a real taste of all the "incredible" dishes to come out of the kitchen. Just don't ask me to name any.
Thankfully we live in a city of OUTSTANDING restaurants. I won't be making this mistake again by coming back here. I'll enjoy a meal that folllows a rational course structure and drink my wine from a wine glass.
I won't go there again and suggest you don't either.

• Visited June 2012
3 Thank Gary R

• Korean first
Calgary, Canada
“Great food and fun environment”
Reviewed June 4, 2012

This is a really neat place and I wish there was a similar place where I live. I really loved the feel and atmosphere of this place. It's busy, loud and fun. Great place to people watch while tempting your taste buds with unique and well prepared dishes. They have an open kitchen so you can watch the chefs do their thing. Dress is casual so you can go in your jeans. G & G offers small plates which are delivered in pairings of 2 plates at a time. Leave it up to your wait staff to select which plates will be brought out together. Their menu has such dishes as frogs legs, beef tongue and ceviche. Desserts are delicious! Go when you have time to linger over your dinner. They have some great wines and beer and the waiter will also gladly make recommendations. I am so glad we were able to experience G & G. It's hard to get in and they do not take reservations; but worth the wait.

• Visited May 2012
1 Thank 4Piffs
Dover, Delaware
“Most amazing dinner I have ever eaten...”
Reviewed June 2, 2012

hands down! I would eat here over and over again. Our waitress was so pleasant and helpful and the meal was unbelievable. From beginning to end, everything we ordered was so flavorful and different and delicious.

Visited November 2011
2 Thank alesia1616
Montego Bay, Jamaica
“Absolutely wonderful restaurant!”
Reviewed May 29, 2012

I went during nato summit weekend, so I was able to score a reservation!

What an incredibly fun, creative and tasty menu! Loved everything including goat empanadas, grilled broccoli (was shocked at the amount of flavour) and the goat cheesecake.

I was impressed with the knowledge of the waitress we had. It seems like the restaurant has a high turnover in clients - which shows how great everyone knows this place is.

The restaurant decor is great and the vibe is fun and friendly.

Anyone visiting Chicago HAS to sample Stephanie Izard's creations. Was a fan on Top Chef, bigger fan now!

Visited May 2012
2 Thank natsilicious
Chicago, Illinois
“Go early and you might get in”
Reviewed May 28, 2012

Just an outstanding restaurant. The green beans were - as the waiter stated - "Life Changing" Check for the 5 PM seating and you might get in.. Wait for a reservation is usually 6 months but worth the wait.

Visited October 2011