“nineties vibe”

Cuisines: French
Dining options: Late Night, Breakfast, Reservations
Neighborhood: Near North Side
Reviewed October 15, 2013

Went there for sunday brunch.
The decor has a bit of a 90's feeling, with a lot of colors and quirky things on the wall. Well, I am a nineties' kid, so perfect! The place looks smaller from the outside than it actually is- I was surprised. The menu is extensive and it was hard hard hard to pick:
I had waffles with blueberry, and my boyfriend had HUMONGUOUS pancakes. The pancakes were lovely, so were the waffles.
The orange juice was freshly squeezed and delicious, the coffee alright. Our waitress was attentive but did the bare minimum, I could however see other waiters being very engaged and helpful with their tables- we might just had bad luck, or she a bad day. Pricewise, I thought it was decent: we got a lot of food after all, and definitely were full for the rest of the day, and that's the purpose of brunch.
So, a nice spot for a sunday brunch.

Reviewed October 15, 2013

Okay, I will start with the good. The menu and the food! Good options to choose from and everything sounded great. My girlfriend and I went during Brunch and were seated with 5 minutes. It was pretty crowded, similar to an Ihop. After looking over the menu and after we realized we could not order everything, we settled on the Butcher's Bennie for her (with strawberry-orange juice) and the Cook's Calling for me (with mango-orange juice). Both items were delicious! A good meat lover's omelette for me (bacon, sausage, ham) with hash browns and toast. Eggs Benedict (with some spicy ham) and hash browns for her. Our server was friendly and attentive.

Now here is the bad. Upon receiving my drink, I noticed something dark floating in it. At first we thought, maybe a pit or something, so I took my napkin to dig it out. It turns out to be a dead bug!!! Gross!! Now the drink was probably poured out from some open container, maybe a premade drink mix, so I'm not sure if something flew around and died or it took a kamazi-death drop into the drink on its own, either way, that's gross! I showed our server, who apologized a lot of times and went to get a new drink. We were able to see that the bartender made the drink from scratch. I'm not blaming the restaurant for this, but it was still gross.

Good food, good portions, 1 incident (just inspect everything you get)

Reviewed October 14, 2013

Good eggsperience.

Checked it out during brunch time on my last full day in Chicago.

Bf and I were seated fairly quickly although the hostess just dropped us off at the booth and left the menus on the table. Okaay there. Normally, we are seated and then given the menus.

Once seated, our eyes darted until we found what we wanted to order. For me, it was the strawberry-orange juice and the Butcher’s Bennie. For him, it was the Chef’s Calling omelet and mango-orange juice. My bf noticed that there was something in his drink and with closer examination, I realized it was a bug!!! We quickly got our server’s attention and he profusely apologized and got us another drink. The drink must’ve been one of those pre-made ones that was poured into an open bottle because we saw one as we were sitting in a booth close to the bar.

Other than that, our food came out piping hot and bug-free. Deliciously good and well worth the trip. The portions are huge by the way!

Reviewed October 14, 2013

We came here on a Saturday morning and had to wait for 20 minutes. The place gets very busy on the weekends. The portions are huge! Some dishes are a hit, others are a miss. The first time we went, I ordered corned beef hash with potatoes, and the potatoes were WAY too salty and the corned beef very dry. The second time, I ordered Sausage and Eggs which comes with hash browns, it was very good. The sausage links were perfectly seasoned and it the quality was pretty good compared to your standard thin, dried out sausage links you get elsewhere. The pancakes are light and fluffy and little "cakey", so if you are used to IHOP's buttermilk pancakes, you will definitely notice a difference. Overall, the food is good, and the service is quick.

Reviewed October 10, 2013 via mobile

My husband had an omelet with hashbrowns which was good, and I had the chocolate banana creeps which were less than great. Service was great and the location was convenient to our hotel. The prices were high (although you DO get a lot of food). I preferred Yolk.