“Great place to stay with kids”

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Chicago
The Flats at Loyola Station
Reviewed April 15, 2012

We took two grandchildren, ages 6 and 8, to see Chicago, and this worked very well for us. It's a bit far from the city, but having the "el" right across the street, bus stop a few yards away, CVS next door, and kitchen and laundry facilities in the apartment, all at a reasonable price, made it a great choice. Upscale accommodations (except the standard sofa bed, which the kids didn't mind). We all loved the big flat-screen TV. Communication with the student coordinators is not optimum beforehand, but once you're there, there is 24 hour assistance by phone - very helpful.

• Stayed: April 2012
1  Thank serenityplease
There are newer reviews for The Flats at Loyola Station

Reviewed April 14, 2012

My husband and I stayed in apartment 101 for two nights, and although the rooms were beautiful and the amenities impressive, it was quite impossible to sleep at night because of the noise level. I heard all of the comings and goings in the corridor (the main entrance to the building was next to our entrance), the metro driving by, passing ambulances, people shouting on the street outside the bedroom window, etc. Perhaps the noise is not a problem on the upper levels of the building, but in apartment 101 it is a big issue.

Booking and arrival went smoothly, but I found the system of only communicating through email and entering the building with codes a bit impersonal. Parking was free and conveniently located outside the building, and the metro was only a few steps away. The rooms were spotlessly clean. However, a strong and unpleasant smell pervaded the entire building. I am not sure whether the smell came from a cleaning product or a type of "air freshener," but it was so powerful that it was difficult to enjoy spending time in the apartment.

Based on my overall experience, I would unfortunately be unlikely to return despite the many good points of the Flats at Loyola Station.

• Stayed: March 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed April 8, 2012

We stayed in Apt 101, which was on the ground floor.
Pro:
The interior design of the apartment was modern and beautiful. It was really clean and it had all the amenities that we would need for our short stay. For people who plan to stay for longer, the apartment is equipped with cooking utensils/pots/pans, washer and dryer.
The check-in process was easy and hassle-free.
Con:
Apt 101 was located right next to the building's main entrance; we could hear (even in our bedroom) people entering/leaving the building.
Living room was connected to an outdoor terrace, which was right next to the street; unfortunately, the curtains that covered the sliding glass doors of the living room were not big enough and we could see people on the street. The place did not feel private because of that.
Our assigned parking space was taken up by someone else after we came back from dinner. When I called management for help, she said that there must be some other guests who took the wrong parking space and advised us to park at another apartment's space. If someone else complained, she would then call us to change parking space again. I was not happy about the fact that I might be woken up in the middle of the night to play "musical parking space" just because another irresponsible person took ours.

We will probably stay there again for our future trips, but would request a 2nd or 3rd floor apartment.

Stayed: March 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed March 29, 2012

Great unit, great parking and location, easy to book, FANTASTIC price, and laundry in the unit. When you factor in the free, covered parking, you cannot get a better deal in the Chicago area. Perfect for our Loyola visit. Thanks!

• Stayed: March 2012, traveled with family
2  Thank Suanny60
Reviewed March 3, 2012

It would be knit-picking to find anything about the apartments themselves to complain about . . . Okay, I would have like a box of tissues in BOTH bathrooms instead of just one.

BOOKING and COMMUNICATION PRIOR TO OUR VISIT
This is the ONLY reason for my rating "Very Good" instead of excellent/ Until you arrive, you can only communicate with The Flats via a generic e-mail from "The Staff". l often had to wait several hours for a response. Because of the specific circumstances of our travel and last minute questions I had before we left home, I found that to be extremely frustrating.

SECURITY AND PARKING
I was initially apprehensive, from a safety standpoint, about my two teen-age daughters and me (the Mom) going to a place that I was unfamiliar with, and having no employee in the building 24/7 like there would be at a hotel. That went away as soon as we got in the building. There is a code to enter the building and we felt very safe during out stay.

The reserved parking is literally outside the door, and is covered so the snow that fell overnight never inconvenienced us one bit. Parking is not secured and is shared with the CVS store next door. However, the information folder in the apartment was very up front about that. It reminded us that we were in the city, so valuables should not be left in the car. Fair enough . . . we would have made that decision regardless of where we were staying.

ASSISTANCE/STAFF
Once we arrived there was a phone number available for 24 hour a day assistance. We called it around 7 p.m. the day we arrived, because we were having some difficulty with the TV set not getting a signal. True, there is no one right there in the building to help, but there is always a student on call. Within 10 minutes she was at our apartment. She pushed the right buttons to get our TV signal back, and then was kind enough to spend plenty of time answering questions about Loyola University for my daughter and me, and told us to call her if we thought of more questions while she was "on call". We didn't really have need for the student on call the next day, but we did run in to her while she was in the building, and she was very pleasant.

ACCESS TO INTERNET and to LOCAL TRANSPORTATION:
My teenage daughters appreciated the free, wireless internet access. We were touring Loyola and Northwestern. We walked everywhere and got an excellent feel for the Loyola area. The "L" redline Loyola stop was very, very close by (but never caused a noise problem). We had the option of taking the "L" to Northwestern, but we opted for the 10-15 minute drive along the shoreline, which was beautiful even in February. We also could have taken the "L" right in to downtown Chicago.

QUALITY, CLEANLINESS AND CONVENIENCE
The apartments are beautiful-- nicely appointed and very fresh and clean. We really appreciated having pots, pans and dishes, flatware, coffee and a coffee pot right there so we didn't have to go out for every meal. We also appreciated and took advantage of the personal, written recommendation for restaurants in the area (although it's time to update . . . Bananas Foster has closed).

The apartment had a dishwasher, washer and dryer, iron and ironing board, hair dryers in both bathrooms . . . everything we might have needed for a longer stay. We stayed two nights and wanted a third, but they were booked. Not sure if there is any housekeeping available or whether guests are expected to clean their own sheets, towels, etc. if they stay for a longer period of time. If you want your room cleaned daily, and fresh sheets and towels every day like in a hotel, you'd have to check in advance to see if that is an option.

VALUE
We were there in February, when the prices are lowest. Apparently the prices rise considerably after March, but I imagine that's true for all hotels as well. Value was outstanding, especially since it included guaranteed, free parking, which was almost unheard of at any other places I checked out. We booked a one bedroom/one bath w/sofa bed unit. Prior to arriving, we received an e-mail that were would have a two-bedroom/two bath because of a plumbing issue in our original rental. Probably an anomaly, but we surely enjoyed the luxury of the additional room!

SUMMARY
All in all, I can't say enough wonderful things about our stay at The Flats at Loyola Station. d I highly recomend it, regardless of your reason for the visit. I would gladly return there again for one night, one month or one year (apparently, all are available).

Room Tip: Room service is not available.
  • Stayed: February 2012, traveled with family
2  Thank Heartstringsmom
Reviewed March 2, 2012

We had family visiting from out of state and did not have enough room at our house for everyone so we booked several nights at The Flats. It worked out perfectly as we live nearby and wanted out family close as well. I was worried about noise, but the places are well insulated and very quiet. Modern and nicely appointed as well. CVS is very close as well as several fast food restaurants.

• Stayed: December 2011, traveled with family
1  Thank H H
Reviewed January 23, 2012

The room was great. Clean, comfortable, modern and full of amenities. Full kitchen with laundry and very close to restaurants and drugstore. Easy access to the L (red line) and Loyola campus. My only issue is that there is no one working at the Flats, no staff or check-in assistance. You are given your check-in info and must manage lock codes to enter the bldg and your room. This is by no means difficult, but my access code had changed so when I arrived I had to call for assistance. I was lucky and someone was actually working in the bldg. She was very prompt and courteous and got us settled in. No big deal just be prepared! I will definitely stay again. Thanks!

• Stayed: January 2012, traveled with family
2  Thank Greg K
Also consider these accommodations in or near Chicago
Rogers Park
Lakeview
Best Western Plus Hawthorne Terrace Hotel
Lincoln Park
Hotel Lincoln, a Joie de Vivre Hotel

Been to The Flats at Loyola Station? Share your experiences!