“Meh...overpriced and overrated”
3 of 5 bubbles Review of Gilt Bar

Gilt Bar
Reserve with OpenTable
Gilt Bar is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #125 of 9,499 Restaurants in Chicago
Cuisines: American, Bar
Good for: Bar scene, Romantic, Special occasions, Large groups
Dining options: Drinks, Dinner, Late Night, Accepts American Express, Accepts Discover, Accepts Mastercard, Accepts Visa, Full Bar, Outdoor Seating, Parking Available, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Valet Parking, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Dining style: Casual Dining
Neighborhood: Near North Side
Cross street: Franklin
Transit: Merchandise Mart (Brown Line)
Description: An inviting River North bar and restaurant featuring classic craft cocktails and contemporary American cuisine designed for sharing. Guests can enjoy a curated menu of seasonally inspired small plates, pastas, seafood and grilled entrees, including the signature Tenderloin Steak Tartare, Truffle Pasta and Grilled Farm Chicken.
Chicago, Illinois
“Meh...overpriced and overrated”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 22, 2013

My boyfriend and I didn't make a reservation so waited a little over an hour because we wanted to check out the library downstairs. After our wait we were taken through a maze and into a dark, intimate setting to a bar? We thought we had put in a request for a table and asked with the numerous ones that were open if we could have that instead. They insisted that they were reserved and that the two bar stools were the only seating area open right now, but they would keep us in mind if a table did open up.
My boyfriend had picked it out because I love to read. However, there were only a couple rows of books so I'm not sure that it would be considered a library and while it was nice not to be crammed in with everyone the space wasn't used very well as trinkets and wine bottles covered up space that could be used for seating.
The food was delicious though pricey. Overall, my boyfriend did a good job picking out a romantic spot but I've decided an "exclusive space" may not be my scene. By the way we never did get a table as they stayed open the entire time we were there. And I never got completely satisfied with this place.

• Visited April 2013

Washington DC, District of Columbia
“Great bar and wonderful time in the library”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 21, 2013

We had a great evening sitting at the bar watching the bartenders mixing up amazing cocktails. The wait to get down to the library was well worth it. Much more intimate and wonderful wait staff. Menu is limited but everything we tried was great.

Visited April 2013
Indianapolis, Indiana
“Excellent choice”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 14, 2013

Food and drinks were really good, an excellent experience in all respects. Octopus and chorizo entree sounds odd but was very good. We took recommendations across the board from our server and were satisfied with every dish. I highly recommend Gilt Bar

• Visited April 2013
Calgary, Canada
“Sexy times.”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 3, 2013

My husband and I were in Chicago for my 30th birthday and this was our second time visiting the city, so we made sure to visit Gilt Bar again. For the second time, the bar did not disappoint. This time they sat us downstairs in the library and WOW - what an awesome experience. It's all bookshelves and velvet banquettes and moody lighting - an awesome time to be had.

We feasted on dark and stormy beverages, salads, shrimp and grits and truffle pastas - DELICIOUS food as usual. The service is outstanding and I was amazed that the food could stand up to how incredible the drinks were - but they did. The library is a cozy little area of the bar that affords quiet conversation with incredible music - we were there for hours and there were great tunes the whole time.

Gilt Bar will be on our list to visit every time we visit Chicago, and I'll be sure to request the library each time we're in town - a must visit!

• Visited March 2013
Chicago, Illinois
“A Must Try”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 27, 2013 via mobile

The Gilt Bar has an excellent atmosphere with food fit for foodies. Gilt is very warm and the noise level is not too loud. The beer selection is great, I had Three Floyd's on tap. The food is top notch as well. They have several interesting appetizers followed by salad, seafood, pasta and entrees. The octopus was a bit lost in the sauce and preparation. The chicken was excellent, but a bit salty. The bone marrow appetizer was interesting and the presentation was excellent. The chocolate brownie/cake desert is a must. Served warm with ice cream, it has a caramelized toffee flavor. The carrot cake was good as well, but in my book the chocolate was the winner.