“Great location and accomdation for guys' first trip to chicago”

JW Marriott Chicago
Ranked #40 of 192 Hotels in Chicago
GreenLeadersBronze level
Reviewed July 2, 2014

this was our first trip to chicago. the city was amazing. the hotel JW as always was spectacular. clean, fairly priced. courteous staff. lobby was nice to hang out in. I was quite shocked at the W hotel across the street. We were originally gonna stay there for their great reputation, and lively lounges and atmosphere. however, the W across the street seems small, the lobby wasnt situated well, not as the other ones ive been to around the world. The JW was a great last minute pick for us in that respect. the rooms were clean. well decorated. no issues with WIFI, bed, sheets, staff, service etc. things went pretty smoothly. although we didnt spend too much time in the rooms other than just sleeping and predrinking. chicago has so many bar, clubs, restaurants to drink and eat and enjoy. would definitely come back again. cab rides to the clubs at night were only 6-8 dollars from JW. cheap fare.

the spa seemed good, but didnt use their services.

the pool was the only thing i would say was not up to par. for a big city like chicago, i'd expected a rooftop pool or something. but then again wind is prob a big issue. maybe something not in the basement, and with windows if it had to be indoors.

• Stayed: June 2014, traveled with friends
Don L, Executive Assistant at JW Marriott Chicago, responded to this reviewResponded July 3, 2014

The W Hotel’s loss was truly our gain, thank you so much for the positive and thorough review. We pride ourselves on our accommodations, and have set the standard regarding cleanliness and amenities amongst the luxury tier hotels in Chicago. Our most valuable asset however is our staff, they are genuine and warm and reflect Midwestern hospitality in a way unique to our locale.
Thank you also for sharing your experience with getting around the city and reference to our remarkably vibrant nightlife. Las Vegas or Miami are overpriced, hot, and muggy versions of what a good time is really about, and Chicagoans definitely know how to party (not to disparage these other cities, but one doesn’t expect a city this size with its industrial and business oriented base to stay open as late as it does).
Regarding an outdoor or rooftop pool, maybe someday in the future we can bump some tenants out of the offices on the top floor, but in the interim, we’ll keep the mojitos flowing if you don’t mind using our Spa downstairs.

Reviewed July 2, 2014

Located right next to the Willis Tower, JW Marriott Chicago hotel is extremely accessible by metro and by other means of transportation and is pretty close to most of the attractions inside the Loop. The rooms are equipped with avant-garde appliances (really enjoyed the TV navigation system and automatic bathroom lighting) and are surprisingly big, clean, and the interior decoration is super gorgeous! The room from room is a little disappointing though - since I did not pay the extra $20 for a "city-view" room so I got a room with a view of the inner courtyard which is essentially a giant white dome. The Executive Lounge opens for most of the week, and Sunday morning breakfast at the lounge is simply wonderful, with plentiful options to choose from. The Italian restaurant on-site is a must-try, it serves delicious and authentic Italian cuisine, and the food totally made my stay!

Room Tip: Try to get a city view room. The view from a regular room is rather dull (and somewhat depressing).
  • Stayed: November 2013, traveled solo

Thank you for the positive review, we sincerely appreciate informative and candid commentary from our guests in that many potential guests base their travel plans on your recommendations. As with many other urban hotels, views can be a premium, but the designers of our hotel being cognizant of these limitations chose to direct our guest’s attention inward with the most modern and technological advanced features currently available. Just the same, if you’re in such a vibrant city such as Chicago, hopefully the opportunity to explore our surroundings takes precedent and location, service, amenities, and value come together to create a memorable stay. Again, thank you for your positive review, we hope the opportunity for you to return to Chicago and the JW Marriott avails itself again soon.

Reviewed July 1, 2014

Though located away from the hustle and bustle of Magnificent Mile, the JW Chicago is still conveniently accessible by the L. The lobby was beautiful and spacious, as were the rooms. The bar in the lobby is a convenient spot for those winding down a busy day or meeting up others for the night. The bathroom was perhaps the largest I have ever seen in a standard room at any hotel. There was enough room for two vanity areas, a tub, a separate shower area, and perhaps a rollaway bed if you wish. Amenities were great, including the Aromatherapy toiletries. Staff was attentive, friendly, and great resources for dining/nightlife options. This is the standard that all JWs should live by. Will definately return for my next visit to Chicago!

• Stayed: February 2014, traveled with family

Thank you for the fantastic review, and next to our service, our oversized bathrooms receive more positive commentary than any other aspect of our hotel (although we have yet to field a request for a rollaway bed to be placed in one). Fortunately Chicago has so much more to offer than the chain stores and restaurants along the Mag Mile, and our unique location has given us the advantage for those visitors interested in seeing the real Chicago. We are the closest luxury tier hotel to the Theater District, Museums, Grant Park, and Restaurant Row. Chicago is world renowned for its architecture, and we are literally steps away from both historic and modern structures in any direction (not to mention our building is also listed on the National Register of Historic Places). We appreciate the review and recommendation, but more importantly hope you will be our guest again very soon.

Reviewed June 29, 2014

I really want to like it. It looks nice when you walk into the hotel and when you enter the room, but there really needs to be more. The "nice" appearance is cold and lifeless in the lobby. The room is comfortable, but my room's A/C is largely ineffective. I am glad that I am only hear for one day of business. Another irritating thing is that the internet is $15/day. Always shocks me to drop $250 a night on a room in the US only to have to shell out another $15 for internet. I rarely see this in Europe or Asia. Why are we still doing this here? Another issue that is bothersome is that, as far as I can tell, there is only one bank of elevators for the guests. I must have passed three service elevator banks. I guess it is far more important for the staff to move around, but not that important for convenient access for the guests.

• Stayed: June 2014, traveled on business

Thank you for taking the time to review our hotel, regrettably your experience appears to be the exception to the rule from most of our visitors. Our lobby was intentionally designed to bring back the grandeur and grace of a bygone era reflective of the historical nature of our building and surroundings. Be it the time of day or weather conditions that left you with a different impression, I’m sure if you spent some time relaxing by the fireplace or perhaps enjoying some repast from our Lobby Lounge, your viewpoint might be entirely different. As we were incorporated into an existing building, there are indeed separate elevator banks but some serve the offices above the hotel, and others would not deliver guests back to a public area in the lobby, hence they are restricted for your security and convenience. As for the air conditioning and internet, on future stays please request to speak with the Manager on Duty so these issues can be addressed and resolved while you are still in our care.

Reviewed June 29, 2014

I just reviewed the Conrad which I stayed in last week - and realized I never reviewed the JW Marriott - which is where I stayed last time I was in Chicago for work.

The JW Marriott is in a class by itself. It's just perfect. The room was spacious and the bathroom was bigger than my living room!

The bar downstairs was a great place to meet up with people for a drink before heading into dinner. We ate in the hotel - and the food was great as was the service.

I only stayed one night - that was the only negative about my stay - wish it had been longer!! I hope they book us there next time we come in for work!

• Stayed: November 2013, traveled on business

Goodness! Impossible to elaborate on your review, all we can do is sincerely thank you for such a positive commentary and recommendation. As a Top Contributor, your experience and insight carries more weight than any self-promotional pitch we could give to potential guests.
One thing to add though, while our guests may compliment our facilities and service, we are the fortunate ones to have visitors such as yourself grace our hotel. I’m confident your journeys are enjoyable due in large part to your approach to those of us in the service industry, and hope your kindness and consideration is returned to you tenfold wherever you should travel.

Reviewed June 28, 2014

I loved this peaceful gem away from the hustle and bustle of Michigan Avenue. I am a lousy sleeper and although I sacrificed a view, this was the most quiet and comfort I have experienced in a long time in a hotel room. NOt sure if it was soundproofed or if I had quiet neighbors, but for once I did not hear TV and conversation on either side of me. Wonderful to be able to say that. The room is very well appointed as are the Aromatherapy toiletries. Service is outstanding. I think they need to expand the club lounge as it is very overcrowded and people are eating standing every which way since there are not enough seats. Wonderful quiet air conditioning. Such a pleasure compared to the omnipresent loud window units popping up everywhere even in new hotels. Service is outstanding as you would expect. Will look forward to my next stay.

• Stayed: June 2014, traveled on business

Thank you, coincidentally the term “urban oasis” has surfaced quite often when we refer to our hotel or ask our guests how they might describe their visit. Surprisingly many of our guests now specifically request interior rooms, although all of our rooms are sound-proofed, there are advantages to facing away from the street. At the end of the day though, it is our associates who elevate the stay to a luxury level experience and we are delighted to see you had a memorable stay. We’re only a few hours away, and we too are looking forward to your next visit.

Reviewed June 28, 2014

Stayed here for 5 nights as part of a conference. This hotel is in the middle of the financial district - next to the Chicago Fed and the Chicago Board of Trade. It is also 2 blocks away from Willis Tower, and in that sense, very centrally located.

The hotel sits in a historic bank building. The room itself was comfortable, and mine had two double beds. The bathroom was large and spacious, with a separate shower in addition to the bath tub, as well as an enclosed toilet. The Aromatherapy Associates toiletries were very welcomed. I also had a scale to weigh myself as I do on a daily basis.

I was glad to see that the hotel had provided for an ironing board and iron in my room, which is essential to me when I travel for business. I did not dine inside the hotel except for the food served for our conference.

A few annoyances:
- the curtains don't close completely, so as a result the sheers can provide privacy, but doesn't help cut out the noise or light
- the building is next to the loop and also next to a station, so you can hear the noises from the loop as long as it is running
- why are we still being charged for Wifi/internet/local calls? It's 2014, not 1994
- I wish the hotel offered an option for guests to choose not to have sheets/towels changed. We need to do more to help our environment. The hotels can also lower their costs

Having said that, this was a very pleasant stay. There is a taxi rank right across the hotel entrance (next to the W) and there are taxis all hours of the day, which is convenient.

• Stayed: June 2014, traveled on business

谢谢! We very much appreciate reading comments from our world travelers, and receiving such a good review from a Top Contributor is especially valued. Your review and commentary regarding our facilities and location is priceless. For other travelers to see in your words such an informative and complimentary review cannot be matched. While we cannot correct past stays, we regret that the “annoyances” weren’t brought to the attention of management while you were still in our care. I am confident we would have been able to address and correct those things within our control, but for future visits you will have our full attention and eagerness to see every aspect of your visit is flawless. We do hope your travels bring you to Chicago again soon, and your next stay will be beyond any of your expectations.