“Great Place to stay”

JW Marriott Chicago
Ranked #46 of 191 Hotels in Chicago
GreenLeadersBronze level
Reviewed January 7, 2014

I spent three nights here between Christmas and New Year’s. The hotel room was nice and clean. check-in and check-out were simple and quick.

In my previous visits to Chicago I have always stayed at The W (either location in downtown Chicago). The JW rooms are a bit larger with similar amenities. I will likely stay at the JW over The W hotel because the rooms were a bit cheaper and more spacious.

The concierge was amazingly helpful. He made a great Sushi and breakfast recommendation.

The restaurant in the hotel was okay and room service was the same as you will get at any other Marriott hotel.

Our room was missing hand towels but the hotel ran them up within ten minutes.

I also visited the SPA at the hotel. I highly recommend the Clarity Chamber.

• Stayed: December 2013, traveled as a couple
Don L, Executive Assistant at JW Marriott Chicago, responded to this reviewResponded January 17, 2014

Thank you for the positive review, and while we are appreciative of our neighbors across the street, it’s our good fortune when one of their guests makes us their preferred hotel while staying in Chicago.
As we have become the premier luxury hotel in Loop, we hope that in addition to the physical attributes of our hotel, our staff will have the opportunity to build a long lasting and mutually beneficial relationship with you whenever you are in our care. We also want every aspect of your stay to be perfect, in the future please let us know if something like the food or service is “okay”, we need it to be exceptional and will do everything in our power to make that happen.
We’re happy to now have you as one of our elite travelers, and look forward to seeing you again soon.

Write a ReviewReviews (1,531)

Reviewed January 7, 2014

NYE at the JW was a blast! I did not stay in a room, this review is based solely on an event. My husband and I were both very impressed with how well the whole night was executed. Extremely organized staff, well secured, gorgeous ballrooms, delicious food and drinks, and amazing hospitality. Our VIP host and server made our night extra special. I would definitely recommend to anyone looking to host an event. Will be returning for next NYE!!!

• Stayed: January 2014

Happy New Year, we’re delighted your start to 2014 was on such a high note.
With due credit to the organizers at Chicago New Year’s Party, the New Year’s Eve Soiree will hopefully become an annual tradition for the good people of Chicago and the JW Marriott Chicago.
We are glad to hear you had a good time and that our Culinary and Banquet associates were able to deliver a memorable evening. For next year’s event perhaps we can persuade you to stay overnight with us as well, making the entire night worry free and out of the arctic chill.
Again, thank you for the generous review, and we wish you health, happiness, and prosperity all through the New Year.

Reviewed January 6, 2014

My husband and I stayed here for NYE and attended the NYE ballroom soiree as VIP guests. The hotel was beautiful and the hotel staff were very friendly and outgoing. We stay on in an exterior room on the 6th floor. The room was very spacious (considering it's in the loop) and the bathroom.....let's just say I was in love at first sight!!! First of all, the bathroom was huge! Secondly, It had gorgeous countertops, huge shower, large tub, a lighted makeup mirror and a GIGANTIC hanging wall mirror with lighting all the way around the frame. Ladies, I know you're with me when I say this sort of lighting is perfect for makeup application! I'm not usually a fan of wallpaper, but it was so nicely decorated, it had me considering wallpapering my bathroom at home.
The bedding and overall decor was beautiful and the bed was comfortable.

My only tiny complaint is that the hallways were freezing! Kick up the heat a notch out there! ;-)

Room Tip: Ask for an exterior facing room. I heard that there are interior rooms with no windows!
  • Stayed: January 2014, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Aimeyah
Don L, Executive Assistant at JW Marriott Chicago, responded to this reviewResponded January 16, 2014

Thank you! Hopefully this indicates a good start to 2014 for both you and the JW Chicago.
An extensive amount of research went into the room designs of our hotel (and as a side note, our interior rooms also have windows), with the incorporation of modern and luxurious accommodations in one of Chicago’s architectural landmarks. While the bathrooms of most hotels are functional at best, no doubt our interior designers read your review and could not help but feel some sense of accomplishment that they too were able to provide a memorable experience for one of our guests.
In light of the attention to detail regarding this hotel’s bathrooms, it’s a given the guest rooms and public areas of the hotel warranted even greater consideration. The opportunity for us to share the entire hotel with you and your husband over the holidays was indeed our pleasure. We hope now that you have discovered the new brand standard for luxury in the Loop, that you will be our guest again soon and well into the future.

Reviewed January 6, 2014

We had a small group of family members for a delightful holiday stay at the JW. The front desk staff was excellent. They found a suite for one of our rooms to allow us to congregate comfortably in the parlor.

The rooms are among the best in downtown Chicago with all the special features one expects in a five star experience. The bathroom in the suite was larger than some rooms I've been squeezed into at other properties.

The lobby bar was busy with fans watching the sports games and the holidays décor was elegantly presented and welcoming. The concierge lounge was simply amazing and worth the extra expense.

Was pleased with the convenience of the hotel's location and the helpful attitude of the hotel staff. This is a true gem that reflects the elegance one expects in an upscale Chicago hotel.

Room Tip: Just ask the front desk for a nicer room - and you just might get an upgrade!
  • Stayed: December 2013, traveled with family

Thank you for the outstanding review. While the majority of our guests come from all four corners of the world, it is our delight to have friends and neighbors from the Chicago area experience our hotel (or at least allow us to accommodate their out of town guests).
Union Station is but two blocks away, and the CTA can deliver guests quite literally to our doorstep, we provide the perfect venue for the local traveler to come into the City for dinner, the theater, a ball game, or even the increasingly popular “staycation”.
We sincerely appreciate your positive review; that we hopefully enhanced the holidays with your family members; and for sharing your experience with fellow travelers through social media. We hope that someday soon you’ll be able to take advantage of a personal stay downtown if for no other reason just to relax and enjoy all that our fantastic City has to offer.

Reviewed January 5, 2014

First off I wanted to say that when I stayed here I ended up getting incredibly sick the night that I arrived so let's just say that I spent a LOT of time in my room.

This was my second time staying at a JW Marriott (Los Angeles being the other) and was excited because I know their reputation. When you arrive the lobby is absolutely stunning! There is a beautiful staircase and a relaxing lounge area. While check in went fast, they weren't exactly as friendly as I would expect for such a high end hotel. But, it's not the end of the world and the front desk people were not rude or anything.

The first thing I noticed when I walked into my room, and the first thing I check when ever I walk into a hotel room, is the view. Well, lack there of? Well, for all I know there could have been a stunning view, but there were no windows (I'm assuming it was an interior sort of situation)! This is my opinion was the strangest thing I have ever encountered in a hotel room, and I have stayed in my fair share of hotels. If there was any warning at booking I definitely wouldn't have booked the room. I understand that it was one of the cheaper rooms in the hotel but I was just really weirded out about the whole no window thing. This could be no big deal at all to some people. Who knows.

Other than that, the room was spacious and gorgeous! The bathroom was basically my dream bathroom. Double vanity, marble flooring, HUGE shower, glorious whirlpool bathtub. The bathroom was basically the size of my studio apartment in New York. It was a dream. The king size bed was ridiculously comfortable and while I would never wish being sick in a hotel on my worst enemy, if I have to be I much rather it be in a hotel of luxury than a Holiday Inn.

The only reason I gave it 4 stars and not 5 was because of the lack of windows and there not being warning when I booked through the JW Marriott website. I would stay at this hotel again in a heartbeat, as long as it had windows.

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled solo

Your review title definitely caught our attention, and although the review was opened with a little trepidation, appreciative of your gracious commentary.
We regret that you weren’t feeling well during your stay, Chicago has so much to offer and to not be able to fully enjoy it was unfortunate.
As the hotel was incorporated into an existing historical structure, on the Marriott website room pricing is two tiered with rooms facing out noted as “city view” and interior rooms with limited views at a lower price point (but still with windows though). The designers of the hotel however approached each room to draw the guest’s attention inward with the most current amenities and luxurious accommodations available. Regardless, your stay was not perfect nor as you had anticipated, and I apologize. Should the opportunity to stay with us again avail itself, please ask for the Manager on Duty for immediate resolution regarding any aspect of the stay you may find unsatisfactory.

Reviewed January 4, 2014

We stayed here for one night in an executive floor room. I was very impressed by how nice the rooms in this hotel are. I feel that it compares to any 5 star hotel in Chicago including the Trump, Ritz, Four Seasons, Waldorf Astoria, etc. The furniture and color patterns were very tasteful. The room was a very comfortable size. I was impressed by the size of the bathroom with a beautiful deep soaking tub. I was not impressed with the views from the room. No big deal. The general areas of the hotel are attractive also. The pool was small. I was disappointed that there was no free access to sauna/steam room. You have to pay $ a 20.00 per person to the spa to be able to use these. The executive lounge was nice and we had a great breakfast there. Very impressive. Evening snacks also looked great, but was disappointed that there was not free wine and beer available. Wifi was awful and I would not pay for it.

• Stayed: January 2014, traveled as a couple

Thank you for the high marks on your review, and our sincere apologies for the couple of missteps during your stay. While our stiffest competition may be from the hotels you mentioned, our associates with their own unique deliverance of Midwestern hospitality is what gives us the advantage. And although our urban location may limit the view, the design of the hotel was to direct your attention inward. Hopefully the décor and amenities you highlighted will influence a repeat stay again soon.
Even with the positive review, we still want every aspect of your stay to be perfect, on future visits please ask for the manager on duty for immediate resolution and allow us to ensure you have a most enjoyable and memorable experience.

Reviewed January 1, 2014

We spent three nights at JW Marriott over the holidays. The location is convenient, especially if interested in walking near Millennium Park, State Street shopping or the museum campus. Unfortunately, the hotel is dwarfed by taller buildings so we had no view and our room tended to be dark. Nonetheless, the room was very quiet and we enjoyed good sleep each night. We found the 12 floor concierge staff most friendly and attentive and breakfast was tasty. Holiday packages including parking and breakfast were reasonably priced.

• Stayed: December 2013, traveled as a couple

After all is said and done, perhaps the ultimate compliment a hotelier can receive is “I had a good night’s sleep”. Thank you for the kind review, and sharing your experience with other travelers through TripAdvisor. Our unique location and especially our staff have set us apart from our competitors in an urban market. We are indeed dwarfed by some of our neighbors, but with Chicago being the birthplace of the skyscraper, perhaps that might also work to our advantage. Thanks again, and we hope we will have you as one of our elite guests well into the future.