“Felt very welcome...and the male staff is hot!”

JW Marriott Chicago
Ranked #40 of 192 Hotels in Chicago
GreenLeadersBronze level
Reviewed March 28, 2013

I moved on from the JW in Wash DC this week to the JW in Chicago. LIttle factoid - the bartender told me this was a former bank, and changed over to a hotel in 2010. So if you are looking for the structural beauty, they had to work with what they had, but did a nice job of creating luxury and that "big" feel of all JWs. I liked the room decor of this JW. The staff here again was nothing but smiles and pleasantness. And, good lucking from the bellman, to the bartender, to the server. Girls, think of this place for ladies weekend.

Since it was spring break, also a lot of families here too, and they accomodated them nicely and quietly. The fitness treadmills over look a nice looking pool. Mom can be on treadmill while kids in pool. The bartender made a great gin citrus herb fused drink, which I highly recommend. The concierge had a ready list and a fabulous restaurant recommendation (Gauge). Caroline at the desk was very helpful with my reservation which was a bit mixed up. The room lighting makes sense, the switches are easy to find and turn on the lights that seem logical. Sounds like a small detail but when you travel alot, you just want to press the easy button, and not try to figure everything out at every hotel. Overall, I was choose this hotel again. And if you have read my other reviews, yes it passes the door smudge test!

Reviewed March 27, 2013

I am not a big fan of the Marriott chain since in my opinion most all of the properties could use a major makeover/updating. I often feel Marriott is very dated but, not so with this property. The first impression from the lobby was good, it is modern, clean and some WOW factor with gleaming tile, mirrors and fresh flowers that scream luxury hotel. Our room was clean, well appointed with a deep soaker tub. The bed was very comfortable and linens were EXCELLENT. We had cocktails and appetizers in the lobby bar. Both were very good. The staff was knowledgable, pleasant and helpful. The concierge made a reservation on our behalf, the restaurant treated us like V.I.Ps and comped our appetizers! The location is slightly off the Magnificent Mile but, certainly is within (5-6 blocks) walking distance to that and more. So, now worries about getting around, taxi or otherwise. We were very happy overall with our stay. I would stay again. The only negative I have is the bath linens were subpar, very flimsy, almost bare thread. I wished for a more luxurious texture.

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled with friends
Reviewed March 26, 2013

So pleased with this choice for my Chicago stay! Close to my business dealings (I walked to my clients) and the hotel is beautiful! Staff was wonderful. Everyone I encountered was so polite and helpful. The Florentine was absolutely fantastic for breakfast (the only meal I had there) and reasonably priced for Chicago! Super quiet. . only downside is the site. My view was awful.. Fortunately the desk staff upgraded me to a room with "a view" but that view was the windows of the rooms across the way. My original room had NO view. Make sure if you stay and enjoy this fantastic property that you get above whatever floor it is that has no view. That would have been awful. Room somewhat on the small side, but bathroom on the LARGE side. . .I can live with that!

Room Tip: Ask for a room above the floor with no view
Reviewed March 24, 2013

Rude unpleasant checkin experience: refused to let us change to a different room even though we arrived mid afternoon and were assigned to a closet sized room facing a airshaft. For $300+ per night there are really a lot better options in downtown Chicago. Internet service was horrible, constantly lossing connections -- and you have to pay $15 per day for the priviledge --- I was trying to work from hotel room while my wife was attending a conference; ended up having to do almost all of my work for 3 days from the hotel lobby where the internet connection was not much better (but at least free). The facility was clean and upscale. The service we received was definitely NOT upscale. We will not return.

Room Tip: Ask for a outward facing room, on a high floor.
1  Thank nickgood
Reviewed March 20, 2013

For business or pleasure this hotel is the right choice. First of all the staff is amazing!! They seem to bend over backwards to make your stay pleasant. The rooms are super clean,the bathrooms are to die for. Two separate sinks, the toilet is separate, deep sunken tub you could almost swim in,and a separate shower. There were three of us (all women) and we could all fit in the bathroom to get ready.That should give you an example of how big it was! We walked to Giordanos Pizza around the corner. We had so much left, we ended up bringing some back to the hotel.The room service folks actually brought us a microwave to our room to use for the rest of our stay!! I can't say enough about the service, which to me is very important. Oh the fresh water with the fresh strawberries floating in it, located in the lobby was a nice touch. I felt like royalty.The rooms are also quiet, stayed on the 10th floor.

Room Tip: The higher floors are quieter
  • Stayed: March 2013, traveled with family
Reviewed March 18, 2013

This hotel is beautiful. I loved my room. The beds are really confortable. The rooom I stayed had a long hallway which was great for my 1yr old to run :) The hotel is right next to the train station so it is a quick ride to Michigan Ave. It is also next to the Sears Towers. Lots of restaurants around. Because it is in the financial district, it is very quiet on the weekends.

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled with family
Reviewed March 14, 2013

JW's are always a class act. The Chicago location is no different. They did a great job re-finishing a historic building. However, avoid staying on the side of the hotel with the elevated train outside your window. You will hear it...all night.

Room Tip: Avoid the side next to the elevated train.
3  Thank Mic9556