“Cannot wait to go back”

GreenLeadersBronze level
Austin, Texas
“Cannot wait to go back”
Reviewed February 17, 2013 via mobile

I was so excited to stay at this hotel last week and it did not disappoint. From the moment I stepped out of the cab, I was treated to the very best service. They had my key ready before I got to the desk, having been told of my arrival by the bellman. The guests rooms are lovely, but the bathrooms are amazing. You can swim laps in he bathtub. Lots of counter space, which makes me happy based on all the stuff I need in a bathroom! Ate at the bar and in the Italian restaurant and both were wonderful. This is a fantastic hotel and I cannot wait to return.

Stayed February 2013, traveled on business
1 Thank Alwaystraveling78

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (304)
  • Arabic first
  • Greek first
Ann Arbor, MI
Reviewed February 17, 2013

Modern, upscale Marriott. In my opinion, the website gave the impression this was an older hotel. Not the case. Of course, the building has been around for a long time but the Marriott was built only 2 years ago. Exceeded my expectations on many levels. Very nice staff, great ammenities and a huge room. The lobby is stellar with a nice bar. We couldn't have been happier. We've stayed at many different hotels downtown Chicago, this is by far the nicest. I don't normally mention the bathroom, but this one was remarkable. Huge well lit bathroom with two sinks, large, deep bathtub and a seperate shower. The room was larger than expected as well. Nice surprise. The television service was interactive with a keyboard (lobby had touch screen interactive info TV's) , this added to the modern feel. The hotel has a Spa. There are a lot of options in the workout facility. If I had to mention a downside... If a city view (overrated) is what you're looking for, this might not be the best hotel for that. Memorable stay for us.

Room Tip: We were on the 10th floor. It was quiet. We didn't use the Spa.
1 Thank table45
Bellevue
Reviewed February 17, 2013

Can't speak about regular weekday value, but if you need a place in downtown Chicago to stay at, close to transit, with exceptional service, the JW Marriott Chicago just might be your best choice. I needed to stay downtown for one night, and got a $143 rate (plus the horrible Chicago taxes). From the moment you walk in, the service is outstanding. I was a little put off by the doorman asking me my last name, only to learn that they have a really great internal communications system, so that by the time I reached the front desk, I had already been recognized and registered. I took my key and within 10 seconds was on my way to my hotel room. Nice touch!!

That led to the only weakness of the hotel -- if you happen to have your room located at the complete opposite side, where you'll walk for probably 200 yards to get there. So, I managed to get my exercise. The room was very comfortable, well appointed, contemporary. They have a very sophisticated system connected to the HDTV, which I didn't even begin to explore -- but for the techies out there, it's got to be a lot of bells and whistles.

I had a fabulous workout in their complimentary fitness room, which is absolutely HUGE and stocked with the latest cardio and weight lifting equipment, plus a studio for classes Monday through Friday. The connected indoor swimming pool was quite large and popular especially on the weekends with families. There is a nice looking Spa but pricey. I didn't partake.

I love the built-in TV in the bathroom mirror where you can watch/listen whilst you take shower or bath (HUGE bath tub - very deep). The bathrobes on the Concierge Level are to die for -- huge, warm, fleecy and wonderful. Everything else in the room was first rate, and I especially appreciated the turn down service at night.

Check out on Sunday morning (close to Noon) is crowded in terms of getting a bell person to assist. It took 15 minutes, but at least they warned me in advance -- and they were right on target as to how long it would take, given the back up. No bother.

The doorman efficiently got me a taxi to the airport and I smiled as I departed knowing that I will try to return to the JW Marriott Chicago as soon as I can possibly do so!

Room Tip: Ask for a room near the elevator....unless you want a workout just getting to your room. 12th floor...
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled on business
2 Thank mshbnyehud
Medford, Massachusetts
Reviewed February 13, 2013

I was scheduled to be here for 3 nights on business, but then because of Nemo, stayed an extra 3 nights. I was automatically upgraded to a room on the executive level, and there were no issues with keeping my room each time my flight got cancelled (twice). The first room I was assigned didn't have a bathtub so I immediately called and asked to be reassigned a room with a bathtub. You'll want to do this if you find yourself in the same situation. Their bathtubs are UNBELIEVABLE. They're so deep I start to float before the tub is even full! I literally took a bath every day I was there.

I love the food and service at the concierge lounge. Gilberto is a darling, and someone always makes me a mocha on their automated espresso machine even though I'm perfectly fine doing it myself. The hors d'oeuvres and desserts that they set out at night are so good that I can go without dinner, and I really appreciate the snacks they set out during the afternoons.

I had the Restaurant Week prix fixe dinner at Florentine, and the chef was able to accommodate my friend's request for a vegetarian entree. No reservations were needed, and the ambiance was dim lighting but relatively quiet.

The fitness center was nice and never crowded. I wandered into the Valeo Spa and got a tour. If I had more money, I would've loved to have tried the Clarity Room. I believe as a guest of the hotel you can use the steam and sauna for $15/hour.

I prefer the location of the Marriott Magnificent Mile, but the JW is next door to the Willis Tower and pretty close to the Art Institute. Otherwise, it's a pretty dead area at night and weekends.

The only complaint I have about the hotel is the toilet paper. It really spoils the effect of a luxury hotel when the toilet paper is single-ply. The toilet paper I use at home is better. I expected more, JW.

Room Tip: Ask for a room with a bathtub
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled on business
Niles, Michigan
Reviewed February 11, 2013

I normally do not write reviews but this hotel is a gem! The entire staff went out of their way to assist in anyway they could. Jose the bellman was outsanding! Knew our names from just one encounter. The staff always makes a hotel for me and this one takes the cake!
$10.00 taxi ride to the center of Michigan Ave shopping. 6 blocks from Bank of America theatre
I can't wait to return!

1 Thank Ilovetotravel49120
Atlanta, GA
Reviewed February 10, 2013 via mobile

I stayed in the JW twice in the past month for business. On the first trip, I had a room on the Club Level. Although small, the proximity to the Lounge was excellent and the service was exceptional. The second trip was also most satisfactory. The rooms are clean and well-designed, and the service is great. My new business hotel of choice in Chicago.

Stayed January 2013, traveled on business
Ann Arbor, Michigan
Reviewed February 10, 2013

My husband and I planned an impromptu stay in the city. My husband is a member of the Marriott program so we naturally look for Marriott properties. We had a terrible experience during our October stay at the Marriott on Magnificent Mile when in Chicago for the Marathon. I wrote a review and still do this day am incredibly disappointed with the management of that property. We didn't think to look at the JW at first.In fact, we kind of skimmed over it and looked at different properties altogether. I'm so glad we decided on the JW. From the moment we pulled up to the curb to the moment we pulled away, we were treated with impeccable service. First let me say this property is GORGEOUS! The lounge is so nice, complete with a cozy fireplace and the lounge area spills into the lobby making for a great place to meet up with fellow travelers for a cocktail. When we walked into the lobby, we were greeted by the concierge who welcomed us by name and handed us our room keys. We didn't even have to check-in. It was already done for us. The room was unbelievable. Beautifully decorated and huge. What a surprise to walk into the lavish bathroom. As you open up french doors, you step into a dream bathroom with double granite vanities, a two person soaking tub and a huge seamless glass shower. We didn't hear a single sound in our room the whole night. I can't say enough good things about this property. It is a few blocks off the beaten path but we are used to walking when we visit the city. You should add this to your list for your next visit, you will NOT be disapointed.

Room Tip: You can't go wrong with this property.