“Love this property!”

JW Marriott Chicago
Ranked #44 of 192 Hotels in Chicago
GreenLeadersBronze level
Reviewed February 10, 2013

This is one of my favorite Marriots. I love the decor. The rooms are very comfortable and clean. Front desk Alex Kleppe and Beth Worman were very helpful. Lots of nearby shopping on State St or short cab ride or walk to Michigan Ave.

Stayed: February 2013, traveled on business
Write a ReviewReviews (1,521)

Reviewed February 8, 2013

I was in a beautiful suite. Could be the nicest Marriott Hotel I have been. The service is particulary exceptional. Very well located near to traían stations and nice restaurants. I was in a kick off company meeting and the production and support for the meeting was incredíble.

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled on business
Reviewed February 6, 2013 via mobile

Stayed for a week during January.

The hotel was centrally located and convenient to a number of restaurants. My room on the 11th floor was impressive. It had a long entry way, double sinks and separate areas for the toilet and shower. As for the shower, it was massive I could of held a party in there for 50 close friends. The bed was supremely comfortable.

This is one of the best JW Marriott properties I have ever stated in and the most luxurious.

Bravo JW Marriott Chicago!!!

• Stayed: January 2013
1  Thank S A
Reviewed January 26, 2013

I stayed here for two nights to attend a firm business meeting and it was a really great stay. This hotel is the nicest Marriott I have ever stayed in. Both the common areas as well as the rooms feel new and beautifully furnished. I was particularly impressed with the excellent service. When I walked up to the reception desk, the associate actually knew my last name without my telling her. I asked her how she knew that and she said that the doorman had communicated that to her using their Secret Service style devices. In fact, on my way out of the hotel, I had forgotten to check out. The doorman simply used his device to let the front desk know that I was checking out and we were done. I travel for business frequently and I found this hotel to be terrific for working. The rooms are nicely lit and there are ample outlets. The gym is also worth mentioning because it is one of the most well equipped hotel gyms that I have seen. It even has an exercise studio, large inddor pool, and spa. I managed to squeeze in a massage at the spa which was excellent albeit a bit overpriced at $150 for an hour. The only detraction was the very bright unpleasant lighting in the locker room. The spa space is functional but not exactly inspiring. Overall this was an excellent hotel that I would describe as a more modern Ritz Carlton.

Stayed: January 2013, traveled on business
1  Thank minhnvu2014
Reviewed January 25, 2013

The JW in Chicago is my first choice for business travel to Chicago. After at least a dozen stays, the hotel staff and accomodations continue to please. During my last stay, there was loud construction noise coming from the space above the hotel, after 10pm. Despite being outside the Marriot’s purview, the staff was able to stop the construction and insisted on sending me home with a bottle of wine, which was above and beyond my expectations. I will continue to stay and recommend this very reasonably priced, high-end property.

Room Tip: If you can get upgraded to the 12th floor, it's worth it for the breakfast alone!
  • Stayed: January 2013, traveled on business
1  Thank David G
Reviewed January 24, 2013 via mobile

We came to Chicago to celebrate a wedding and that's where everyone was staying. The wedding party price was actually more than the AAA price. I wrote ahead to request a special room with a view since our son was joining us and it had been 3 months since he left for college. When we checked in we did not get a room with a view but instead a room looking at a building through an interior courtyard about 30 feet wide. No sun came through the window and we hardly had space to walk around when the rollaway arrived. We asked for an extra chair so we could have two chairs and the hotel brought up a banquet chair.

The restaurants were on strange operating hours and the bars closed at midnight on Saturday evening so when we arrived back from wedding reception we had to go to another hotel to get a nightcap.

The bathroom was great and so were the hallways but we would rather have had the extra room in our room.

Sorry Marriott, we have had better rooms at your Courtyard brand.

• Stayed: September 2012
1  Thank abby m
Reviewed January 23, 2013

I stayed here over St. Patrick's Day weekend in 2012. My friends and I arrived on Friday AM for a spa day in the basement spa (can't recall the name!), and all of our treatments were excellent. The front desk staff were able to check us in early to our room as well, which was an added bonus. The best part of this hotel was the location, as it is literally located on an Orange Line stop, making getting to/from the hotel a breeze (note: it's an elevated stop, so you have to carry your luggage up/down the stairs--nothing too terrible, but I didn't see an option for wheelchair access, etc...I wasn't looking for it though, so I could've just missed it). Excellent hotel bar with lots of seating and TVs (March Madness was going on, so we hung out there before dinner). I didn't eat in the hotel though. There's a Dunkin' Donuts located about 2 blocks away, and the former Sears Tower is about 3-4 blocks away. The only con? There's not a lot of restaurants located nearby that are open on Sundays, as this is primarily the financial area, so just be aware of that. Otherwise, it was nice and quiet on the weekends. I will DEFINITELY return!

• Stayed: March 2012, traveled with friends