“Excellent Stay”

JW Marriott Chicago
Ranked #41 of 192 Hotels in Chicago
GreenLeadersBronze level
Reviewed November 11, 2012

Was able to spend two nights there last week. Checked-in to a king room. The room is a little on the small side; bathroom was huge though. Was placed on the interior (overlooking the courtyard; no street view). No issues whatsoever. Free internet access at the lobby. They charge you $14.95 per 24-hour period for in-room internet.

I have to say this: Great location, and very convenient. Mc'Donalds just across the street with Starbucks close by, Dunkin Donuts not too far either. Public transport within 5-min walk (CTA). Most important of all, it's close to where I need to be.

Will stay there again in a heartbeat.

Stayed: November 2012, traveled on business

Reviewed November 11, 2012 via mobile

On arrival to hotel after a uk flight the hotel had no reference to our booking through British airways.

I had all the booking details and payments but the hotel wanted to charge me until I could prove I'd booked which I believe I had.

After 1 hr on the phone BA spoke to the hotel and they apologised to BA ( who I guess place alot of business to the Marriott)

Anyway that aside, brilliant hotel and location, would stay there again, but would hope something is in place to avoid an hr delay checking in.

• Stayed: February 2012
Reviewed November 6, 2012

Quick overnight business trip, but was able to appreciate the high level of service that the entire staff provided. Felt that every staff member I encountered was ready to make my stay better. The king room was a typical size, but the bathroom was very spacious with both a large shower as well as a deep soaking tub. It appears that the hotel has been recently renovated. Nice, fairly active lobby bar. And for a large city hotel, virtually no wait for elevators like you often find in older buildings! My only con is that, being an older building, I had a VERY long walk down a hallway to reach my room (the longest I can ever remember in a hotel), and it was an interior room with a view of only the interior courtyard and mechanical. Overall, it was what one would expect from a JW property.

Stayed: November 2012, traveled on business
Reviewed November 5, 2012

Stayed for 2 nights at the JW Marriott in November 2012. The hotel is in walking distance from the main tourist attractions.

Likes: great bed, spacious room, free wifi in the lobby, great bathroom
Dislikes: wifi not free of charge in the rooms, the price for internet in the meetings room is much higher then for the rooms, pricy breakfast

• Stayed: November 2012, traveled on business
Reviewed November 5, 2012

I have stayed at the JW Marriott in Chicago two years in a row for a conference and loved it both times. The location is not far from shopping and sightseeing on foot or by cab. The staff was always attentive but didn't hover. I love the bedding, deep bath tub, adequate room to move around the room, and all of the amenities. The food and beverage for the conference was outstanding.

The lobby bar had excellent servers, selection and really, really good food. I opted to take my computer down there one night instead of staying holed up in my room and ordering room service. The workout facility in the lower lever was quiet at night, and well used in the early morning but had plenty of quality equipment for the demand. Fresh towels and cold water were constantly refilled.

Any outstanding hotel in a large city will have a high price, however the JW Marriott earns their fee. I hope my conference is in the same hotel next year.

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled on business
Reviewed November 5, 2012

Went here for my nieces and daughters American Girl trip..awesome location -4 yr old 6 yr old and 10 yr old walked easily in 40 degree weather..short distance! Nicest staff I have ever met...not one rude person. We were on 33 rd floor and no issues with sounds or anything! I hope to stay here again!

Room Tip: Ask for high rise rooms!
  • Stayed: November 2012, traveled with family
Reviewed November 5, 2012

Marriott is one of the brands I'm pretty loyal to so I try to stick to a Marriott brand if possible... this one worked as it is right next to the Willis Tower and that is where business was taking me on this paticular trip. (I had to carry stuff back and forth, so it was nice to be one block away.) The hotel is beautiful. The lobby is great - and my room was very clean, large, and comfortable. I would stay again if back in Chicago and the location worked. Another perk is that it is right on the train line, so very easy to walk less than one block to get on/off at the Quincy Station. Direct line (Orange) to Midway Airport.
My only disappointment was that generally at check in I get upgraded to the concierge floor, or get "free wifi" being a higher level Marriott Rewards member, and on this trip/check in, there was nothing noted about me being a high level rewards member. And my trip was only one night - so it was not worth me mentioning it myself. Oh well!

• Stayed: November 2012, traveled on business