“In the loop of luxury”

GreenLeadersBronze level
Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
“In the loop of luxury”
Reviewed October 11, 2012

The Chicago JW Marriott is a comfortable, well-appointed hotel with a location that may be unbeatable IF (a) you've flown to the city on Southwest or (b) intend to visit the Art Institute and the adjacent Millennium Park. The CTA Orange Line connects Midway Airport (Southwest's hub) to the city center and the Quincy stop on that line is literally steps away from the JW. A 15-minute stroll down West Adams Street in the other direction brings you to the front steps of the Art Institute, next door to which are the artistic attractions of Millennium Park. In good weather, the walk north along Michigan Avenue (aka The Magnificent Mile after it crosses the Chicago River) is a pleasant diversion. Hotel staff are friendly and accommodating. An erroneous minibar charge was removed immediately from my bill at checkout and a charge for an un-made long-distance call, discovered only after I got home, was also promptly reversed after I advised the billing department.
The reason for the minibar charge involves my only criticism: the minibar fridge is so full of items that I had to shift things around to squeeze in a pint-sized bottle of orange juice which I'd purchased at a nearby Walgreen's (there's also a nearby Starbucks for those desiring a smaller, cheaper and [probably] quicker breakfast than the hotel dining room). The shifting made it appear that I'd scarfed down one of minibar's $12 can of nuts. Horrors!
I believe the hotel has a pool, but it was out of action during our two-day stay at the end of September. My lap-swimming spouse made do with morning visits to a nearby health club at Union Station. Unless the hotel pool is a plunge pool putting on airs, it would be another reason, for a swimmer, to stay at the Chicago JW Marrriott.

Room Tip: Nothing except our 7th floor room overlooked the Quincy "L" station and we heard nothing f...
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled with friends

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (304)
  • Arabic first
  • Greek first
  • Korean first
Reviewed October 7, 2012 via mobile

Located on Adams Street (financial district), th JW is wonderful. Friendly helpful staff. Rooms well appointed, comfortable, with everything a business traveler needs. The hotel is within walking distant but you must like to walk as it's not right on the mag mile.

• Stayed October 2012
Saint Louis, Missouri
Reviewed October 5, 2012

Typical JW Marriott with clean, comfortable rooms and nice lobby with bar. We took the train from St. Louis for the Cards Cub series in July. It's an easy walk from Union Station to the Marriott even with luggage. The L is a few blocks away too for when you go to Wrigley. The only real complaint, and it is not the fault of the hotel, is that it is further south of all the restaurants and bars and shopping along Michigan Avenue. However, you are close to Millenium Park. I would stay here again if going to Cards Cub seris and taking train. Otherwise, I'd try and stay at one of the Marriotts north of here along Michigan Ave.

Room Tip: We had an interior room and it was fine. Since we are not in our room that much...we didn't nee...
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled with friends
Washington, DC
Reviewed October 2, 2012

My room was on the back of the building and I lost count of how many turns I needed to make to get to it. My room, on the interior, must have overlooked a air shaft; my windows were frosted so I couldn't see out the window. I prefer natural daylight, so that was a disappointment. Also, the room was small. There was a chair at the desk, but there was no room for a reading chair. The bathroom was large and had a very high soaking tub. It was wonderful - I was there for one night and had a record breaking three baths (sorry, Mr. Manager, I know guests like me wreck havoc on your water bill projections) and housekeeping was kind enough to give me extra bath wash.
The concierge (Sunday morning, 9/30) was a very knowledgeable, professional and cordial woman. She was able to immediately answer my frequent questions.
The food. I ordered room service lunch and it was NOT good at all. I specified the way I wanted my hamburger to be cooked (medium rare) and there was not a trace of pink in the meat. Unfortunately, I had requested a late checkout and it was close to the time to leave; otherwise, I would have complained.
The bed. I think Marriott hit a home run with the bed - not just here in Chicago, but throughout the brand. It was heavenly. Also, what a treat I had with the wake up call!! It was a real person, not a recording.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled with friends
San Antonio, Texas
Reviewed September 29, 2012

This hotel was quiet with excellent service and comfortable rooms. Even the catered food for our business meetings was considerably above typical hotel standards. I found the staff to be very friendly. JW Marriott is good choice for your next stay in downtown Chicago.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled on business
Ottawa, Canada
Reviewed September 27, 2012

This hotel is amazing. It's approximately a 30 min cab ride from O'Hare ($40 ride). Even though this hotel is located in the financial district, it's still nicely located. Approx a 30 min walk from the Magnificent Mile. The hotel is a little pricey but well worth it. The executive lounge is open from 6am to 10pm weekdays which is awesome. The hotel staff are amazing, especially Jose the doorman, Maria and Demetrius in the executive lounge. Our infant got sick during our trip and the staff kept asking us about how he was doing and even went as far as getting us info on the closest medical centre and even offered to get a doctor to attend the hotel. The hotel is very clean and comfortable. Walls are thick so you can't hear from room to room. The rooms are a little on the smaller side, but very modern. I would definitely come back to this hotel and recommend it to others.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled with family
Minneapolis, Minnesota
Reviewed September 24, 2012

Our family of four (with 2 young kids) stayed here for 4 nights in August, 2012. It was my business trip (for the first 2 days), but I decided to bring the family alone since we had not visited Chicago for about five years. The hotel was fantastic. I was given a suite which was spacious. The room was adjacent to the "L", and I was concerned about the noise, especially at night. It turned out it was not an issue. Below were my observations:

Pros:
- Nice, clean, and spacious room
- Great bathroom: spacious shower area, separate toilet area, and a huge bathtub
- Good TV with many channels
- Large in-room safe
- Staff was very friendly and helpful
- Check-in and check-out were smooth. I had a little issue during check-in as the system did not have all the correct information for my reservation. The front desk staff was very helpful and made all the corrections.
- Location was great, close to everything. Only a short walk to Michigan and State Avenues. Bus/L lines to many major tourist attractions were also within short walking distance.

Cons:
- Really not much to say
- Lobby was huge but could use more furniture/have more sitting areas
- Pool area was closed when I was there (that was another story)

Overall, our family enjoyed our stay and the trip. I would definitely stay at JW Marriott Chicago again.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled on business
1 Thank imken504