“Great service, nice location”

JW Marriott Chicago
Ranked #42 of 192 Hotels in Chicago
GreenLeadersBronze level
Reviewed April 28, 2012

Service was great--very friendly staff at the front desk and in the hotel hallways. Fitness center has great equipment but is very busy at times--not enough equipment for the number of people there in the AM. Room was beautifully decorated and very comfortable and clean. The hotel is in easy walking distance of shopping and sights. Food was also good. Would definitely be happy staying here again.

1  Thank ChiGeorge

Reviewed April 28, 2012

When I go to Chicago for business I always try to get into this property first. The rooms, the service, the staff, the workout space, and the concierge lounge are all top notch. Ive eaten in the lounge and had room service -- all has been excellent.

I do want to give a special shout out to the ladies who work in the concierge lounge in the AM--they are awesome! They are always friendly and helpful and want to make sure you have a good experience while there. The experience is markedly different from what I've experienced at other Marriott properties!

Room Tip: rooms on the 12th floor have a TV in the bathroom mirror!
Reviewed April 25, 2012

I spent October 2011 through February 2012 commuting back and forth to Chicago and the JW was my work week home! The hotel staff was amazing to me each and every time I arrived and I thoroughly enjoyed staying there! The rooms are amazing and I love that there is a separate bath and shower! The beds are extremely comfortable and the housekeeping staff was always very accommodating to my requests! I cannot say enough good things about this hotel and would recommend it to anyone! If I ever have business in Chicago again I will definitely stay here again!

Room Tip: Ask for an exterior room...better view!
  • Stayed: February 2012, traveled on business
Reviewed April 23, 2012

My wife and I celebrated our 19th wedding anniversary at this JW Marriott. The hotel is a new, modern and clean environment. The lobby is classy. The staff seemed genuine, professional, polite and very helpful. Our corner suite was luxurious with 2 large flat screen televisions, a soaking tub, and a very comfortable bed! The exercise facility on the lower level was very nice, overlooking the brand new swimming pool (which was not opened yet during our stay). The adjoining spa looked wonderful (although we did not use it). This JWM hotel deserves the five star rating of excellence that the other well known hotel names boast on the near north side. JWM is located in the downtown loop district, which is closer and within walking distance of the museums, theaters and fine dining. In fact, I liked the South LaSalle Street location even better than North Michigan Avenue because the business district was quiet and not busy like the shopping district on the weekend. JWM provided a wonderful setting for rest and relaxation in classy accommodations. This hotel is a gem.

Room Tip: Corner rooms are spacious, luxurious and worth the money!
  • Stayed: March 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank MemoryMaker2011
Reviewed April 23, 2012

Loved it. Beautiful hotel, excellent service, cozy lounge, great breakfast. A bit pricey for breakfast, but worth it for an excellent, special occasion breakfast.

would for sure stay again.

• Stayed: April 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed April 22, 2012

Stayed here for two nights at the end of December for a wedding. Great hotel.

Location: More in the financial district/loop area, rather than Michigan Ave/Lakeshore Dr/Magnificent Mile/River North area like most of the better-known Chicago hotels. Still, it's Chicago, and there are plenty of restaurants, Starbucks, etc within walking distance. Willis Tower is about 2 blocks away.

Was able to check in a few hours early, get to room, change/shower/relax a bit before the festivities began. Given a room on the Concierge Level, but the lounge was closed due to my being there over a holiday weekend. Room was clean, and somewhat traditional looking, nicely decorated but in a tasteful, understated way. Luxury, but not over the top. High speed internet worked better than many of the hotels I've visited recently. Room had a nice HD flat-screen TV, as well as a TV embedded in the bathroom mirror.

Really enjoyed the lobby hotel bar. Had a late lunch here after checking in, and also had some drinks here both nights of my stay, including a very late night-cap the second night of my visit. Great service, full bar, etc.

Didn't get a chance to check out the fitness area but based on the condition of everything else in the hotel, I'm sure it's more than adequate. I'll definitely look to stay here again the next time I need a hotel in Chicago.

• Stayed: December 2011, traveled with family
Reviewed April 21, 2012

I am not generally a fan of high-end hotels and I was all ready to hate the JW. I generally feel that value for money just isn't there and prefer to stay in Courtyard-level hotels. The JW Chicago proved me wrong.

This hotel just executes well in all of the details that I personally value.

The room - nice high ceilings give the feeling of space, tastefully decorated but not over the top in any way. Comfortable bed, lovely bathroom, great shower. The air conditioning (one of my pet peeves in a hotel) covers the spectrum of needs from silent to good solid white noise when the fan is set to high. Plugs everywhere I needed them. Nice flatscreen TV with high definition content.

Internet - A common failing of the larger hotels is internet, not so with the JW Chicago. Internet was solid and fast, allowing me to join in a meeting back at the office via video conference.

Lobby - Staff available just to help, fast and friendly check-in, and helpful concierge.

Lobby bar - nice selection of local beers on tap, lots of activity, good service including a friendly lounge attendant who was just there to make sure everything was going well for customers.

Meetings - I was here for a small conference, and even there they executed above and beyond. Staff were always checking in to see if we needed anything, requests were handled quickly, even the security head came to say hello and let me know what to do if there was an emergency.

Marble lobbies and wood-panelled elevators aren't usually my thing. But the JW was so much more, and is the model for what a downtown business hotel should be. A new bar has been set for me, I feel sorry for the next hotel that I stay at because they will never match up.