“Excellent hotel in the financial district”

JW Marriott Chicago
Ranked #40 of 192 Hotels in Chicago
GreenLeadersBronze level
Reviewed April 18, 2012

Most of the well-known hotels in Chicago are found on/near the Magnificent Mile (i.e. North Michigan Ave, just south of Lakeshore Drive) or on/near The Loop (downtown). The JW is on the The Loop, but about a mile (or so) west of the lakeshore and not far from I-94. Theatres and other cultural attractions in the downtown area are also reasonably close to the JW.

The rooms, beds and bathrooms are very comfortable. Typical JW Marriott style and quality. There's nothing particularly special about the lobby, but the lobby bar is fantastic. Just what you'd expect in Chicago.

I really liked the fitness center and the Concierge Lounge. The fitness center has Life Fitness state of the art equipment. It has everything you would expect of a hotel of this quality and room rate. I didn't wait for anything.

The Concierge Lounge was "off the hook". The evening selection of cheeses and other snacks might have been the best I have ever experienced at a hotel concierge lounge. Breakfast in the morning had a superb array of charcuterie, fresh and dried fruit, a few hot items, pastries and breads, and very good coffee.

It's everything you would expect of a high-end, JW and more.

• Stayed: December 2011, traveled on business

Reviewed April 10, 2012

A few annoying things:
1. An annoying "tick-tock" clock that is very loud on the desk - hide it under the bathroom towels to silence.
2. A very loud "computer server" of some kind attached to the TV - unplug to silence.
3. Very loud mini-fridge - a very neat "off" button on the front - push it to silence - never seen this before and love it - easier than unplugging.
4. Very annoying white flashing light on the smoke detector - needed black tape to cover up, but I didn't have any (and forgot my eye patches.
5. Lastly, the room doors sound like fire escape doors, so you hear your neighbors slamming the doors al night.

I'm probably nit-picky - it's a lovely hotel downtown - if I designed it all 5 things above would be fixed.

• Stayed: April 2012
Reviewed March 28, 2012

My mom & I took a shopping trip to Chicago for a weekend break. The room was FABULOUS! Very clean, lots of space, the staff were so friendly and helpful, and breakfast room service was excellent. I really miss that huge tub in the bathroom!

• Stayed: February 2012, traveled with family
Reviewed March 27, 2012

I just love this place - so I am rating it again since my last visit. This trip, I was upgraded to an Executive Luxury Suite - and I must say..WOW! The room was beautiful, very large, and extremely comfortable! The bathroom was very impressive - a huge oval tub you could almost swim laps in, and a separate shower you could have a party in!

Staff at the hotel is awesome, and although it's a brand new property - they kept alot of the charm of the old building. You will not go wrong here for business!!

• Stayed: March 2012, traveled on business
1  Thank StevenVA
Reviewed March 24, 2012

In general an above average spot for business travelers; reasonably convenient and comfortable. When traveling for business I am usually only interested having a good sized room that is reasonably quiet and clean in which everything works. During my most recent stay most of those criteria were satisfied, although a lack of hot water for the duration of my stay (three nights) was somewhat off-putting. The reason, I understood, was there was a problem with the system that was being worked on, but I find it hard to believe it would be worked on for three days. Running the tap (or shower) for three to five minutes produce a tepid (at best) flow - not ideal when you are trying to get motivated for along day of meetings followed by some form of evening out/dinner. Did not use the wi-fi, but as noted by another reviewer, a colleague of mine indicated that it was "too expensive."

All in all, however, a good place to stay on business, certainly better than the ultra hip W across the street.

Room Tip: Try to stay away from a room with a connecting door between the adjacent room. I was able to clearl...
  • Stayed: March 2012, traveled on business
1  Thank LMNY
Reviewed March 23, 2012

My boyfriend is in the military and was out of state for a few weeks, and Chicago was our best destination to meet up for an evening. So we booked this location for the night about 4 days in advance.

I looked on Hotels.com first for pricing and details, and called the hotel to confirm some things. Hotels.com has Free Self Parking listed as one of the amenities. When I called to fact check before booking, the front desk representative was a bit dismissive, explained the websites 3rd party affiliation, and confirmed that my only option through the actual hotel was the $55 valet option. When I called the W across the street, they said the same thing, but also let me know that there were self park lots nearby that were considerably less in cost. Thanks, W.

We ended up booking through the actual hotel, because the government rate was outstanding. Back home, I live in a small 2 bedroom with a stand up shower, and I was simply elated over the marble bathroom with a soaking tub awaiting my arrival. My boyfriend arrived before me, and messaged me during my 400 mile one-way journey to tell me that our room (which was detailed to have this glorious soaking tub) did NOT have a tub at all, just a shower. My back and shoulders were not pleased at this news. He called the front desk, and they were not able to accommodate a room reassignment. Sigh.

Location wise, it's great. SkyDeck is right around the corner, as is a Giordano's, and the Mile is a slight walk, and you can always spring for a return cab for less than $10 if you've acquired too many bags.

All in all, beautiful location and comfortable rooms, but they struck out on accommodating requests that were by no means over the top. Cheers!

• Stayed: March 2012, traveled as a couple
3  Thank Cat G
Reviewed March 23, 2012

Celebrated wife's birthday with stay at hotel. Upgrade of the room and surprise cheese platter showed what service can be like.

• Stayed: March 2012, traveled as a couple