“Very Nice hotel just a little far away from everything”

JW Marriott Chicago
Ranked #40 of 191 Hotels in Chicago
GreenLeadersBronze level
Reviewed January 23, 2012

On a day shopping trip to Chicago we stayed here for one night in room 829. The room was very nice...very modern furniture and comfortable bed, huge flat screen with HD and nice wet bar and small fridge. The bathroom is huge and has marble floors with a glass door, Grohe shower head and jetted tub. The water closet is separated by a sliding in wall door. The lobby is huge and very nice, the door men and valet parking are very professional and friendly. They always greet you when entering or leaving the hotel. However the valet parking is $ 55.00 ouch...but very efficent and friendly. They have a bar in the lobby that is very nice and huge. I had a double expresso which was ok but it was'nt hot enough for me at $2.00 a shot. It was Lilly expresso straight from Italy so I don't know what the problem was. The service was excellent, as was everyone we delt with at this hotel. There was security there at the hotel but very discreet. One thing I noticed is that Saturday night was party night at the hotel and even though we were on the eighth floor and facing the inside court yard, we could still hear the thumping of the music from the party that night. Also, the sound proofing between rooms was excellent... I could'nt hear a peep between rooms. However, I could hear every conversation in the hallway right outside my room door. I heard every person coming back that night and what they were saying. They may have been a little loud but I thought this lack of soundproofing on the room door was odd. I have stayed at the Pennsiular and Trump in Chicago and the JW is as clean as both. But their locations are much better and are overall (duh!) a upgrade above this hotel. But since Our stay was on points ....It was very nice. I would stay here again on points but not paying because its location to Michigan Ave and shopping is not as centrally located as the other two hotels.
P.S. Wi-Fi was free for me.

Room Tip: Club Floor Stay there if you can!
  • Stayed: January 2012, traveled as a couple
2  Thank Terrell H
There are newer reviews for JW Marriott Chicago

Reviewed January 21, 2012

Top notch service, beautiful rooms, great bar with a nice cocktail selection and a very tasty menu. Always enjoy our stay here- the staff will go out of their way to help. Wish all hotels were as lovely as this.

1  Thank Aimeeyso
Reviewed January 18, 2012

Excellent comfort. Rooms are small. Located in financial district so quite a walk to Michigan avenue. Service eas very good at the hotel. Amazing dAy spa!

1  Thank kykiminhongkong
Reviewed January 15, 2012

We stayed here for a wedding and after 3 days of trying and retrying, they couldn't figure out and adjust the right promo price for the room, the room was tiny with no view, and the wifi is very weak and in most places doesn't work. I like to use the FaceTime feature to stay in touch with kids back home and was told even after paying for the stronger guest wifi signal, it would not work for wifi. If you're staying in Chicago, definitely go for the Sheraton or Westin instead!

2  Thank Cmack717
Reviewed January 14, 2012

Stayed over Christmas, staff was fantastic,food perfect and the room was over the top. Very clean, well appointed and laid out well. Will return...

• Stayed: December 2011, traveled as a couple
Reviewed January 9, 2012

I stayed at this hotel for one night while traveling on business in Chicago. I was really impressed.

The hotel has a great location in Chicago's loop -- lots of restaurant options nearby, close to public transportation, etc.

Despite a late arrival (11p), as soon as my cab pulled up to the door, a doorman was unloading bags from the cab and escorting me inside. An associate at the front desk instantly helped me. Check-in was fast and flawless.

The hotel is gorgeous -- it's decor is classically elegant, but it feels modern, as it maintains clean lines and neutral colors. The lobby is spacious. The hallways are elegant, with artwork of Chicago landmarks (actual artwork, not just framed posters or photograph), wood paneling, etc. Best of all, my room was perfection. It was spacious. It had an incredible comfortable bed with high-end linens. It was equipped with great technology for the business traveler -- USB charging ports, plugs everywhere (on the desk, next to the beds), VGA cables to attach a laptop to the television, etc. The desk had a very comfortable chair and great lighting. There was a grand entrance with a large closet equipped with plenty of hangers and nice robes. And the bathroom!: a shower, a separate water closet, a deep-soaking tub, two sinks, and a television in the mirror. The decor, like the lobby, felt modern but still luxurious -- everything, from the carpet to the furniture to the curtains, was high-end.

I was very impressed with the quality of the facilities and the service, and I look forward to returning.

• Stayed: January 2012, traveled on business
3  Thank brmusicman
Reviewed January 7, 2012

I stayed here while on a conference, and I was quite impressed! The room was beautiful and modern, the bathroom was quite large and beautiful as well. Plenty of closet space, and very comfortable beds. The staff was also impressive, as they were quick to assist with anything needed. I could not find my information to print my boarding pass, so I needed to get into my e-mail. The lady at the front desk gave me her keyboard, turned her monitor around, and let me get into my e-mail from there, rather than making me go pay for internet service. The staff members go out of their way to assist the guests, which is wonderful to experience. Highly recommended.

• Stayed: November 2011, traveled on business