“Perfect Business Traveler Hotel”

JW Marriott Chicago
Ranked #46 of 191 Hotels in Chicago
GreenLeadersBronze level
Reviewed December 1, 2011

Almost everything here is perfectly tuned to meet the needs of the business traveler. Fast wifi, great fitness center, wonderful executive lounge and excellent staff. Always my first choice when coming to Chicago.

• Stayed: December 2011, traveled on business
Write a ReviewReviews (1,541)

Reviewed December 1, 2011

The hotel has no pool. Our experience with the staff including the hotel managers (Maureen), restaurant manager Stephanie, and other front desk staff was very unpleasant. The managers are very inexperienced and have little knowledge of customer service. Even though the hotel itself was nice, but we're extremely disappointed with the service that we received during our stay. For instance, someone in the kitchen messed up our breakfast order and they blamed it on other hotel guest writing on our door-knob menu without our knowledge. What a bunch of ridiculous excuses! In addition, the breakfast orders were made wrong and Stephanie the restaurant manager didn't have the intelligence to even understand the issue besides overlooking the mistakes and finding excuses for her staff. Maureen the hotel manager never stepped up either. Also, the front desk are unfriendly and they would not answer phone calls for over 2 mins. Mind you I called very infrequently, This has to be absolutely my WORST hotel experience ever and the WORST JW Marriott ever. The staff is just horrible !!!

3  Thank Anonymous2007
Reviewed November 28, 2011

Stayed at the hotel in early November. The hotel was easy to find and we took advantage of the valet parking. I believe it was around $50 from 10am that Sat. to 4pm the following Sunday. The hotel lobby was very clean and tidy. Staff was polite and very helpful. Our room was clean as well and the furnishings seemed to be high quality throughout the room. Our window included a view of other room windows, but that didn't matter to us because we didn't come to Chicago to stare out of our window - we came to shop!

We decided to walk to Michigan Ave. from the hotel and it was a serious hike - about 2 miles. Once we were done shopping, our legs were much too tired to walk the distance back to the hotel, so we hailed a cab. Needless to say, we ended up taking a cab everywhere we went from that point on.

I believe the hotel is located in the financial district, so during the weekend, hardly anything was open around us. That was really the only bummer. The rest of the time spent at the hotel was great and I would definitely stay there again, but budget for the cab fares next time.

Reviewed November 27, 2011

Stayed here for a night to relax in the city. The hotel is in the loop so expect a ten minute walk if you plan on hitting Michigan Avenue. The hotel is beautiful and the lobby is one of the best I have ever seen. Beautiful marble, chandeliers and staircases were very impressive. I found the staff to be friendly but disinterested and they would not honor my request for a room with a king bed, instead I received one with two fulls, not a deal breaker but a little disheartening. The room was beautiful, white trim, modern new decor but very elegant and classy. Exactly the luxury you would expect from a JW. Linens were superb and the bed was very comfortable. We had a decent view West and could see the El (but don't come here if all your looking for is views of the city, there are none). The bathroom was perfect. Separate toilet area, a huge soaking tube, large separate glass shower, double vanity, and lighted mirrors. Perfect hotel if you want to ditch the Michigan Avenue crowds but still require some luxury, its nicely tucked away and quiet but I was nearly tempted to crash one of the weddings going on in the grand ballroom. Lived up to JW name for sure but staff could have been better.

1  Thank 2tampuh2
Reviewed November 26, 2011

This hotel is the same price as the Marriot Lincolnshire - see my review. The difference is it is 60 miles and a world of difference away. I checked in and the person at the desk said that I could upgrade for $40 to the executive floor. I did and what a difference. I got there and they began with a welcome, used my last name immediately. I had an issue with the internet and they not only spent 10 minutes with the service people but comped the internet for 2 days. The food is great on the floor as is the view. The rooms on the top floor are roomy and spacious. The furniture is a great mix of modern and traditional and it works. The bed is fantastic after such a miserable one in Lincolnshire it was just a delight. The location is perfect for the museums or bus to Miracle Mile. It is 2 blocks from the northern train line and 2 blocks to the O'Hare train both much better ideas than a car or taxi. The concierge was perfect in making a dinner reservation, how to get to the Museum of Tech and Science and the fact there was a special night at the Planetarium and walking directions there. I travel 120-150,000 miles a year. Good hotels with great service are few and far between. This one is excellent. The reason it does not get 5 stars is it is important that you know the Executive floor closes at 11Am on Friday and does not open till Sunday Evening. This is just a bad idea in that the floor was full all weekend and the ability to just relax with a muffin or a snack and some tea is worth it and closing it on the weekend is sort of down scale for such a nice hotel. This location is 1 year old in a 100 year old banking building and just done very nicely. The W hotel is across the street and the rooms are smaller and the lobby not nearly as useful or tasteful as the JW. At $200 a night it was a very good place to stay.

Room Tip: Figure out how to stay on the Concierage floor. Also the inside rooms are a little darker but they...
  • Stayed: November 2011, traveled on business
Reviewed November 21, 2011

We stayed at the JW Marriott this past weekend. The rooms are absolutely fantastic as was the Staff running the Hotel and the Banquet Staff in their Grand Ballroom. Very clean and well laid out rooms.

We also attended a Wedding Reception in their Grand Ballroom and the Banquet Food, (which can often be considered ordinary at some facilities), was excellent. The service staff was buzzing around the room with patience and speed. Of course some of the guests, (that often got in their way), not once did I see a frown or agitation of any kind. The guests were having a wonderful time yet the plates, dishes and glasses kept coming and going without interuption. The Banquet Manager orchestrated the dinner perfectly in my opinion.

The only negatives with this Hotel was the arrival and how absolutely busy West Adams street was. This is a narrow city street with another Hotel directly across the street and with Guests arriving at the same time to both Hotels, some traffic control would be welcomed to those first time visitors.

We also had breakfast at the Florentine. Again the service and the food was excellent.

It is not an inexpensive stay but in my opinion travelers often get less than we pay for. In this case, the JW Marriott gave the guests more than what we paid for.

Room Tip: Expect to pay "Big City" parking prices...
Reviewed November 20, 2011

We have stayed at many of the downtown/Mag Mile hotels in Chicago. I would have to say that the JW is definately in my top 3!
We took the train in to the city for the Holiday Festival of Lights ( make it a point to do this at least once! ) and I was pleasantly surprised how close the JW is to Union Station, Just a five minute walk.
It is a beautful new hotel ( it was formally a bank in the financial district ) with an exceptional staff who bent over backwards to make sure we were well taken care of. The room was very comfortable, nicely decorated and clean. I am a bit of a bathroom snob. If I don't like the bathroom, I am not going to like the hotel. Well...that was not going to happen here, it was awesome. There was a huge shower, separate extra deep soaking tub, generous marble sink with a make-up area and a TV in the mirror. There were many little extra's in the room that made us feel really pampered. We loved it!

The biggest surprised had to be Sunday morning. Figuring it would take the typical 45 minutes to a hour for room service we placed our order. We were told it would take 30 minutes...great! 10 minutes later there is a knock at the door from a very cheerful staff member with our breakfast! Not only was it super quick, it was hot and very good. It was a bit pricey but room service at any good hotel in Chicago is.

In short it was a great stay. We will certainly be going back and will recommend this hotel to everyone.

Room Tip: Ask for the 12 floor, the executive level.