“A step out of the big city”
Review of Chicago Chinatown

Ranked #88 of 671 things to do in Chicago
More attraction details
Fee: No
Recommended length of visit: 2-3 hours
Owner description: Chicago's large Chinese neighborhood is full of popular restaurants.
Reviewed June 7, 2014

Chinatown was an interesting experience for my family. We ate lunch at ming hin, which was very strange, then we walked around a little bit. Basically all of the stores on the main streets are tourist shops, and looks like an episode of Hoarders when you walk in. Things are packed in to the ceiling, and you always feel like you are going to break something. The other strange thing about these stores is that they all seem to turn their lights off in the afternoon so it is very dark when you walk in, especially at the back of the store. There are lots of reasonably priced items as well, though many of the shop keepers don't speak much english. We also went to this herb shoo with lots of cool herbs and animals, such as powdered fish and plants. There were also many types of candy there, which we bought some of. Finally there is a small square where all 12 zodiac animals are in a circle, and you can walk around and read the description. A cool place to spend the day, but be wary of where you eat!

4  Thank Grace M

Reviewed June 2, 2014

Go to Chinatown and walk the streets. Pop into the shops that sell cooking equipment and souvenirs. Go into one of the downstairs grocery stores and see a freshly dressed duck hanging from a hook. This really is an interesting place; many Chinese Chicagoans live here. Try one of the dim sum restaurants, or for good Chinese food, try Evergreen.

2  Thank dkm57
Reviewed May 29, 2014

I was in Chinatown for business and made it a point to go to Chinatown for dinner. I was surprized to find that Chicago's Chinatown is in an outdoor mall which appears to be built specifically for the stores and restaurants that populate it. There were lots of food choices, I ended up at MingHin Cuisine for some of the best crispy Peking Style Duck that I have ever had.

The area was clean, I ended up taking UBERx from the Airport Holiday Inn and it cost me about $35 each way so my meal was just under $100 but it was worth it. If you want to take the metro (much cheaper) take a shuttle from the hotel to the airport and get on the metro in the airport terminal instead of trying to navigate to one of the neighborhood stations.

All in all an interesting trip, more restaurants to explore, not really the neighborhood that I expected but the quality of the stores and restaurants made up for that.

2  Thank Jeffrey114
Reviewed May 28, 2014

We paid only $5 to park. You can walk around and visit the shops - which will only take an hour or so. But if you like real Chinese food - you'll find the restaurants here. We went back 3 times over 8 days just to go to different restaurants and we loved them all.

1  Thank Bill A
Reviewed May 28, 2014

While fairly small, Chicago's Chinatown is a nice place to experience a different culture. The zodiac statues are pretty cool, and the architecture of the buildings is gorgeous. I recommend being careful on certain streets once you leave the Chinatown market and sticking nearby the red line station. Be sure to stop in Woks 'n' Things. The owner is extremely friendly and happy to help with any questions. The prices are reasonable. We spent a couple of hours walking around Chinatown, and that was enough time.

1  Thank Babs B