“Can easily find what you need.”
Review of Chicago Chinatown

Ranked #90 of 667 things to do in Chicago
More attraction details
Fee: No
Recommended length of visit: 2-3 hours
Owner description: Chicago's large Chinese neighborhood is full of popular restaurants.
Reviewed May 22, 2014

Whenever we drive by the Chinatown, we usually just stay for lunch and pick up some Hong Kong style pastry. There's not much to see, but you can find most of the Asian things you need. Compared to the ones in NY and SF, Chicago Chinatown is small. The town does have some decent restaurants for traditional noodles and congees, though. The price is reasonable, some are lower than $5. Most of these restaurants still do bubble tea. If you need herbs, there are plenty of shops for that, too.

Reviewed May 15, 2014 via mobile

It is a unique experience and people are very friendly I enjoyed the statue of the zodiac as well. I recommend anyone wanting to view the point of another culture to come and enjoy the same as we did.

3  Thank LaCosaMasBella
Reviewed May 12, 2014

From some of the reviews on here, I was expecting Chinatown to be underwhelming. I have never been to another Chinatown, so maybe I'm too easily impressed. But I felt rushed spending only an hour and a half there.
We loved Aji Ichiban, the candy and snack store. We grabbed a couple of buns from one of the bakeries for a snack. It was fun to look through the gift shops. My partner brought some anime thing that he was really excited to find.
We took the water taxi in from downtown and the train back. I can't wait to visit again.

1  Thank MillieHelper
Reviewed May 8, 2014

A wonderful day trip included the Chinese American Museum of Chicago. Don't bother to pay extra for the docent, read and watch the videos and you'll see a very clean well put together site. Do see St. Therese Catholic church on Alexander Street, where Al Capone's mom purchased a large crucifix and it is on display there. The church is bright and beautiful and the people working in the rectory obliged our group to open the church and let us have a look. Definitely eat at Evergreen Rest. on Wentworth! We received 5 entrees which were delicious and everyone raved about as well as appetizers tea and cookies. They treated us well and sent us on our way with cookies and candy for the bus. The shopping district was interesting and fun to walk through, probably an hour to 90 minutes is sufficient as there is much repetition. Overall we had a beautiful day!!

5  Thank buttonskc
Reviewed May 8, 2014

We took the water taxi from Michigan Avenue down to the Chinatown stop. You can walk a few blocks from there to the heart of Chinatown. The taxi was $10 per person for an all day pass on the weekend, I believe it's only $7 during the week. If you've been to NYC or San Francisco, you won't be too impressed, however it's a diversion from the central Chicago hustle and bustle.