“Not sure what disappointed people expect!”
Review of Chicago Chinatown

Ranked #91 of 657 things to do in Chicago
More attraction details
Fee: No
Recommended length of visit: 2-3 hours
Owner description: Chicago's large Chinese neighborhood is full of popular restaurants.
Reviewed February 11, 2013

I read others reviews and I am not sure what they expect. I have never been to other Chinatowns but I am sure they are all different. Some people seem to expect them to be the same- like a chain or something. I do not see Chinatown as a "tourist attraction." It is a community where people live and go about their daily life- people complain about it being smelly and dirty- it's a part of Chicago- not a themepark! I enjoy learning about other cultures, their food, their history, their art, architecture, and general way of life. I myself love the shops with all the Hello Kitty stuff and my daughter loves the Chiu Quon bakery we visited. We had a great meal at Won Kow.

4  Thank stephers26
There are newer reviews for Chicago Chinatown

Reviewed February 4, 2013

Was a little disappointed as I was expecting something more, especially since several friends had raved about Chinatown. We love hanging out in Chinatown in NY, San Fransico, Philly, LA, London etc.
This was very westernized and the food quality so below par of what you get in other C-towns. Dim Sum was a terrible disappointment, although we went to what was highest rated and what people rave about. Even had an anaphylactic shock at table as it turns out they americanize the dumplings by adding peanuts into them. Understandable that they use the cheapest ingredients but really have never had this in any c-town or in china. We so miss good dim sum and good refloxology but it is better to not go than get mediocre. life is too short for cheap imitations.

3  Thank dkrejser
Reviewed January 27, 2013

This is a surprising small chinatown for a city of Chicago's size. It felt like most of the people in the shops and restaurants were tourists or Asians visiting from the burbs to get some decent Chinese food. The shopping was disappointing and overpriced for a chinatown. Go to NYC.

1  Thank dp_2000NewYork
Reviewed January 27, 2013

Interesting place to visit. A little smelly, but nice to see the cultural statues and buildings. Need to learn to read Chinese

1  Thank Angelia C
Reviewed January 27, 2013

We went here by watertaxi great way to see the city and got a great lunch and a super tapioca smoothie for the road. Took the subway back. Great way to kill a couple of hours.

2  Thank Buijsmann