The Purple Pig
Cuisines: European, Contemporary
Good for: Bar scene, Local cuisine, Special occasions
Dining options: Breakfast, Late Night, Dinner, Lunch, Delivery, Reservations
Neighborhood: Magnificent Mile
Description: Experience the exquisite cuisine of James Beard, Rising Star Chef 2014 - Jimmy Bannos Jr. As a fourth generation restaurateur, he was mentored by his father, Jimmy Bannos (Chef/Owner of Heaven on Seven) and catapulted his expertise through training by nationally renowned chefs. Since opening in 2009, under the leadership of Jimmy Bannos Jr., The Purple Pig has received numerous accolades, including being named one of 2010’s “10 Best New Restaurants in America” by Bon Appétit magazine; and a Bib Gourmand recipient from the Michelin Guide Chicago in 2011, 2012, 2013 and 2014; among other honors. Dubbed the "Prince of Pork" by Dana Cowin (Food and Wine Editor and Chief); Jimmy Jr. brings his love for Mediterranean food to the Windy City in fun, inventive ways - at this rustic sharable plate restaurant, conveniently located on the Magnificent Mile. Located at 500 North Michigan Avenue, the restaurant offers cheese, swine and wine, among other standout dishes, showcasing the flavors of Italy, Greece and Spain.
Reviewed June 25, 2013

It was OK, but for all the hype it has gotten by all the "in crowd" and foodies I don't see what is so faboo about this place, really. The food was good, but definitely not top 5 in the city. There are so many better places with less hype involved, and a lot less crowded. This is a perfect example of how some good reviews will make you godlike in the restaurant industry, deserved or not. And, the cockiness that comes with that seems to go to their heads. Our waitress was indifferent and in a hurry. She was looking across the cafe and all over as she asked what we wanted to drink, like she thought I was clueless. I think we saw her 2 more times the whole dinner. She wasn't nice and seemed to just be playing the numbers game of harvesting expected tips. Of course the wait was a bit, which we expected, but it did end up less than quoted, which was nice. The patio was a nice place to wait, and the patio heaters were great since we were there in late winter. I may go back in 5 years, after the hype calms down, if they are still there and not forgotten for the next new hip place. Of course they'll be millionaires may times over by then too I'm sure.

Write a ReviewReviews (4,972)

Reviewed June 24, 2013

I heard all about this spot from many a person in the F&B business, had to go.
No reservations allowed, which is cool ,so I put our name in at 7:15 and was told it would be 1.5 hr wait.
Ok, since the bar is packed with folks eating, as the place is the size of an airport Mc'Donalds, I went across the street to Michael Jordan's Steak House to have a Stone IPA and watch the Stanley Cup as " The Pig" has no TV.

After I was told the 1.5 hr wait, I was called to my table after 30 minutes. Ok , no worries, they are on top of it? Not

I have heard they had a great wine by the glass selection but never heard anything from my wait, except , and I quote," what do you want to drink" . I could not make this up if I tried.

Our table had the the eggplant/cheese balls, pork, tuna tartar, a few other dishes and one dish that was ordered but never came. I will give you a guess who messed that up? By the way, careful with the shellfish, spent an hour in the bathroom 2 hours later.

In summary if you want a place that plays good music has good food and horrible service, come one, come all. The place is full of foodies that swan over every dish but every dish is not that great. The kitchen does an excellent job with seasonings and prep, but the wait staff and ambiance lets that side down. They deserve better..

Get with it guys, good street food with hardwood varnished tables and a deck like you have on the back of a lake house.If you eat out on the deck at night, bring a flashlight.

Reviewed June 24, 2013

This was certainly a new experience. Loud, busy, unique food, excellent service, everyone seemed to be enjoying the experience. My only reservation was that the air conditioning was so fierce, I needed to put my jacket on!! I ate the skate and loved it, but the many smaller dishers being served all around us looked really good too. Would love to return.

Reviewed June 24, 2013

If this restaurant wasn't a top pick on TA for Chicago - I probably wouldn't have gone...but I would have missed out on one of the best food experiences ever. First my wife and I stopped by on a Friday night at 10pm - the wait was 90 minutes. Needless to say we went back on Sunday at around 6pm. There was a short wait, so we just went to the bar. The restaurant is small, most of the tables are community tables where different people sit at. There are some small tables on the inside and outside.
We struck up a conversation with our barkeep, Jamie, who was excellent. She recommended several items on the menu. I would say they server Tapas, or small plates, so you can try many items, and each item isn't that expensive.
They have a very unusual menu, but again, I'm no foodie. You do have to be a little open-minded to try some of their dishes (pig ear, pig tail, pork neck bone), but they also have items anyone would eat (Salad, cheese, panini). They have an extensive wine menu (I think 50 bottles under $50) as well as beers and a full bar.
We had a Cucumber and Feta smear (spread with bread), a cheese plate, Milk Braised Pork Shoulder with Mashed Potatoes and Octopus with Green Beans, Fingerling Potatoes & Salsa Verde.
The other great feature about being seated at the bar is that you can watch the chef's work their magic. It's a great place for people watching and it does get a little noisy, but not so loud that you can't have a conversation.
Of all the meals we had in Chicago, this was by far the best. If you're headed near Chicago, it's worth the trip to this restaurant !

Reviewed June 24, 2013

Friendly staff welcomed us and it was very busy but after giving our name we did no have to wait long. It was a hot day so outdoors was ask for and they accommodated. The menu is tapas style and mostly fish and pork. But be aware the portions are larger than normal Tapas so after our starter dishes I was full up. We did try the bone marrow dish because lots of people seemed to be tucking into it but we did not like and did not eat ... When we got the bill they had not charged us which we did not expect .. So extra points! Go with an open mind, try things - some are unusual, you've got to like busy but a good experience overall.