“The Service is Better Than The Ritz-Carlton”

Kimpton Hotel Palomar Chicago
Ranked #13 of 190 Hotels in Chicago
GreenLeadersSilver level
Charleston
“The Service is Better Than The Ritz-Carlton”
Reviewed March 7, 2011

Everything you read here is true. Kimpton rocks. I'm in the Kimpton loyalty program, and I highly recommend it, especially for women. All the little touches--the choice of pillows, newspapers, the extra treats in the room--are so nice. I loved the coffee bar in the morning and the water bottles to take with you when you head out the door for "free" and the service that prints your boarding pass out for you. The rooms are nice and the location is great and the restaurant is fantastic. It's just what you expect from Kimpton--a great property, a boutique hotel in a central location with it's own personality. I've stayed at 2 of the other Kimptons in Chicago and this is the fav. The difference really is the customer service. They gave me great tips on a spa to book and where to eat. I was a nursing mother, and a bit nervous about managing that with travel, but they made it easy. I had to ask for some special accommodations in the room, like an extra fridge, and they were so nice about it. They will take care of you every time, book with Kimpton. It's less expensive than the Ritz, but even better service.

• Stayed September 2010, traveled with friends
1 Thank mdhgCharleston

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (630)
Liberty, Missouri
Reviewed March 7, 2011

I just spent the weekend at the Hotel Palomar, and I couldn't have been happier with everything about this hotel. We didn't have a car, so we rode the El from Midway to downtown by using the excellent directions provided on the hotel's website. When we came up to street level, the hotel was right there! You can't ask for anything better when you're carrying your luggage.
Even though we arrived at about noon, they had a room ready and let us go ahead and check in. I think that's a really nice touch. We found the room to be immaculate. The only reason for my slightly lower rating on the room was its size. It was fine for just the two of us, but you may want to upgrade if you have more than two people in your room.
We asked for directions many times, and we were always given great service and accurate information. The hotel's central location made it easy for us to walk to the Navy Pier, Hancock Tower, shops on Michigan Avenue and State Street. And with the El stop being right outside and the weather being rather cold, we took it a few times just to get out of the elements. No problems at all!
The complementary wine in the evenings was really good. It did get quite crowded. One night we had our wine in the lobby, and the next night we just took it to our room. But, it was nice to have and a great way to relax after a long day and before dinner.
The beds in the hotel were some of the most comfortable I've ever experienced at a hotel. And the pillows were perfect! It was so quiet in the room, never heard anything at all. We were on the 7th floor.
A wonderful weekend and a great place to stay. Next time I visit, I will definitely be staying here.

• Stayed March 2011, traveled with friends
Neenah, Wisconsin
Reviewed March 6, 2011

My fiance treated me to a Chicago get-away for my birthday. He chose this hotel due to good reviews and our love of boutique hotels. The hotel was everything I could have wanted and them some. Front desk staff is very helpful - we mentioned that one of us was vegan and were told a vegan staff member would be on shortly and if we wanted, she could recommend restaurants, etc. It was a nice gesture. Wine hour in the lobby was very nice. Decor very well appointed in the rooms, lobby, and all parts of the hotel. Everything is fantastically clean. Hotel is in a SUPER location walking distance to most anything you could want. Very excited to stay here again and try other Kimpton hotels in Chicago. Overall exceptional stay! We also got a great deal signing up to be Kimpton In-Touch Members (free on Kimpton website). You won't be disappointed here!!!

Boston, Massachusetts
Reviewed March 4, 2011

This is my kind of hotel -- comfortable and relaxed, yet chic and professional. Great room. Great gym and pool. Great breakfast. Great location. Enjoyed the complimentary wine tasting, too!

Virginia
Reviewed March 3, 2011

Our experience with the Polomar began with making reservations right through to the day the doorman said "good-bye". I called about a small suite and the person making the reservation not only found me a fabulous room price but it included parking! A deal since parking is expensive in Chicago. We had a one-bedroom suite. Everything from check-in through our 3 day stay was superb. Loved the staff--all helpful and so friendly. The evening wine in the living room (with flatbread pizza hor d'ourves) was a special treat. This is a pet friendly hotel and we saw several dogs (wish we had brought ours) and we never heard any of them. It was cool to have a few of them in the living room at the wine recpetion. The Palomair is an ideal locaton. My only hope is that as they get more popular, they don't raise their rates so high that they become too expensive to stay there. One note. We ate in the hotel restaurant and frankly, it was just ok. There are plenty of great restaurants in the area. Oh, and we had mentoined it being our 32nd wedding anniversary and a special strawberry treat awaited us in our room on arrival. It was GREAT!

• Stayed February 2011, traveled as a couple
GMPalChi, General Manager at Kimpton Hotel Palomar Chicago, responded to this review, March 4, 2011
Dear TessieUSA:

Thank you so much for such a neat review. We always appreciate our guests taking the time to tell us how we did. Happy 32nd anniversary - we hope we can share many more with you. Take care.

Nabil Moubayed
GM - Palomar Chicago
Chicago, Illinois
Reviewed February 28, 2011

I live in the Chicago suburbs, so I only stay in downtown hotels for staycations and getaways. And I have now found my favorite place to stay! Came down for one night with wife and 2 kids (8 & 12), and was attracted by the positive reviews, reasonable rates, and fact they have a pool for the kids. Was hoping for good, but we got great, and will definitely be back.

I indicated on my reservation my wife's birthday, and they gave us a nice corner room - not huge, but nice sized, with cool decor and very comfortable beds, cool view of city skyline. On check-in, they gave my kids each a goodie-bag and coupons for free room-service milk and cookies. PLUS, a coupon to "raid the minibar". While the kids relaxed post-swim in the room, we went downstairs for the complementary wine reception with tasty snacks - crowded, but chic. After dinner at a nearby restaurant (tons of good ones in close walking distance), we dropped the kids in the room with their milk 'n cookies and went down to the hotel bar for a drink. Absolutely packed, and not a cheap cocktail, a great end energetic vibe for us suburbanites on a night downtown.

Staff was friendly and helpful at every encounter, and was just a really nice experience. Only slight complaint is late night sirens are not very muffled - rooms are right above the street. Not much you can do about that though. We will be back soon - I highly recommend it!

• Stayed February 2011, traveled with family
Dear CharlieWilmette:

We are so honored to find out that you have chosen us as you new favorite Chicago hotel. That is so great and makes us feel special. Thank you. Our staff love to make every visit unique and we are thrilled that you and the kids had fun at the hotel. We look forward to welcoming you back soon.

Best regards,

Nabil Moubayed
GM - Palomar Chicago
Chicago, Illinois
Reviewed February 28, 2011

This is what a hotel should be! We stayed two nights for our anniversary and had the best hotel stay ever. I choose the City Deluxe room and requested the "stand by" upgrade. When we checked in, the front desk clerk told me that my requested upgrade was sold out but to make up for it, they would upgrade us "higher" and put us in the Artist suite. It was so nice! Huge living room, two bathrooms and a extremely comfortable bed. I requested a bottle of champagne to be in the room when we arrived and sure enough, it was there, on ice and with glasses. I've made this request at other hotels and for some reason, they never do it. Palomar did it perfectly! We dined at Sable, the adjacent restaurant, and had a great meal. The staff at Sable are some of the best restaurant employees I have ever encountered. I cannot remember the last time I stayed at a hotel and could not find one thing wrong. The Palomar is an exceptional hotel! We'll be back soon!