“Great place to stay in Chicago!”

Kimpton Hotel Palomar Chicago
Ranked #10 of 190 Hotels in Chicago
GreenLeadersSilver level
chicago
“Great place to stay in Chicago!”
Reviewed January 9, 2011

i booked one night here and loved it so much i ended up staying three. the bed was the most comfortable ever, the service was great, the staff was super friendly, and the room service breakfast was delicious. my only complaint - and it's my own fault - was that i slept in one of the days and should've put the the "dreaming" tag on my door, housekeeping seemed very intent on cleaning my room and came back every 20 min. overall, i loved this hotel and will definitely lookup kimpton hotels in other cities. there are so many cute perks of this place- especially the wine reception in the lobby, although many of the people there didn't seem to be staying at the hotel. i loved that i was able to bring my dog too, i'd definitely recommend this hotel.

• Stayed January 2011, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (635)
Chicago, IL
Reviewed January 9, 2011

There is not one thing that I did not like about this hotel. It was in walking distance to many excellent restaurants, the river and the tour that we had prearranged. The staff was friendly. The rooms were nicely decorated, quiet, and very clean. There was a lovely lounge area with a fireplace and comfortable furniture. We missed the wine reception by a few minutes but it looked very inviting. The beds and pillows in the rooms were soft and comfortable. This hotel is very pet friendly. They even had a welcome bag for our dog and offered a dog bed! (no charge for pets, by the way). the Chai tea they offered in the morning was a nice option besides the usual coffee and other teas. I will definitely return.

• Stayed January 2011, traveled with family
Detroit area
Reviewed January 8, 2011

We had an amazing stay at the Hotel Palomar in Atlanta, so were very excited to try the hotel in Chicago. We are happy to say we had just as wonderful of a stay. The hotel is beautiful, staff in friendly (with the exception of the doormen- not really sure why they stood there because they never helped us unless we looked completely helpless).

We stayed in a spa room which was completely amazing. Floor to ceiling windows overlooking the city, sitting area with flat screen TV, VERY comfortable bed, jacuzzi tub... I could go on and on! The attention to detail was great!

We visit Chicago on a regular basis and have stayed in a good majority of the hotels. Hotel Palomar is definitely at the top of our list. Now having stayed in 2, it is nice to see a hotel chain that is consistently excellent.

PS- the hotel bar "Sable" is amazing. The drinks are very interesting and the bartenders know the answer to any question you might have!

• Stayed January 2011, traveled as a couple
1 Thank DetroitareaKate
New York City
Reviewed January 7, 2011

I had the pleasure of staying here while on business in Chicago! The hotel is very beautiful with the exception of the on-going construction outside of the hotel. Upon arriving, the front desk noticed that my birthday was going to take place while I was there. They surprised me by having a lovely bottle of wine and hand-written birthday card delivered to my room(very thoughtful). The room was beautifully decorated and I fell in love with the bathroom:). I love that they thought of the smallest details from providing Q-tips to robes and even an umbrella should you need it during your stay. The staff was always gracious and when I had a minor problem with my thermostat, it was immediately rectified. The ONLY recommendation that I have is that housekeeping should be consistent with providing the "Welcome letter". Unfortunately, I didn’t receive mine until my final evening there and it would've been very helpful! If you can find parking elsewhere, please do so. The fee is 46 per night and I had quite a wait to get my car b/c the lot is around the corner from the hotel but the wait wasn't too bad b/c the valets and doormen had great personalities. I also ended up with a strange $8.00 charge on my card and I can only assume it's for the honor bar which I thought was gratis to In Touch members. Overall, I HIGHLY recommend this property. The service was excellent, the accommodations are comfortable with a modern and chic touch and the food was delicious. I will be back!!:)

• Stayed December 2010, traveled on business
Madison, Wisconsin
Reviewed January 3, 2011

My husband and I stayed at the Palomar with a 2 month old, 4 year old and 7 year old. Upon our arrival, they had complimentary hot chocolate and apple cider in the lounge area right off of the front desk check in. They also had cookies and milk sent up to our room for the kids. The hotel staff was excellent and were so accomodating. We asked for a crib/pack and play sent up to the room and it arrived within 15 minutes of us checking in. They also asked if the two older children would like robes to match my husband and mine sent up. Now that's service! The rooms were decent sized (for a Chicago hotel), the beds were nice, and the pillows were comfortable. I couldn't have asked for a better stay! I would give this hotel at least 4 or 5 stars...

• Stayed January 2011, traveled with family
GMPalChi, General Manager at Kimpton Hotel Palomar Chicago, responded to this review, January 5, 2011
Dear maclean77:

Thank you so much for your recent review and I am so glad you had the best hotel stay ever with your kids. I must confess to being disappointed that we were not awarded five stars. I would love to know what we could have done better to garner that fifth star. It is hard to decipher from your glowing review.

We hope you will chose us again for your next visit to Chicago and until then, let's hope winter will be over soon.

Warm regards,

Nabil Moubayed
General manager
Palomar Chicago
312-985-0761
Portland, Oregon
Reviewed January 2, 2011

This is a very attractive new hotel. The staff is friendly, but not really service oriented.

I was expecting a fax. I asked the front desk personnel about six times if it came in. Each time I was told no. I even asked if the fax machine was working and had paper and was assured it was working just fine. Finally, I called the hotel’s fax number and their fax machine never picked up. I had to have the fax sent to a FedEx office at my expense.

We checked in on a Thursday night at 8:30 PM. There was no bell person nor were we offered assistance with our bags. I asked if the hotel had humidifiers and was told yes they do. I had to call down for one the next day. When I asked if they have humidifiers, the answer should have been yes and we’ll have one sent up.

On Christmas Day the hotel restaurant was closed. The hotel provided coffee and pastries in the lobby, which was a nice touch. The problem was they kept running out of coffee and the pumps on the coffee containers weren’t working right. The food service was being provided by the front doorman who was trying, but this was not his job.

We ran out of toilet paper twice during our stay and had to call for more because housekeeping never replaced the extra roll in the bathroom.

They kept forgetting to replace the plastic bag that goes in the ice bucket.

They provide body wash in the shower rather than bar soap, but they are small tubes good for about two showers and housekeeping never seemed to replace them. The Q tips in the vanity container in the bathroom were never replaced.

One day we left our room at 12:00 Noon. I called the front desk and said that we would be gone for two hours and could we have our room made up before we returned. I was assured that could be accomplished. We returned at 2:00 PM and the room was NOT made up until after 4:00 PM.

This hotel has some major housekeeping issues that could be easily rectified if the housekeepers were given a checklist to sign off on to make sure everything was done in a room.

None of these items by themselves are major, but they all add up over a week’s stay and they become a major service issue.

• Stayed December 2010, traveled as a couple
Dear RaySantaFe:

Thank you so much for your review of our Hotel and I am so sorry that we fell short in some areas. It certainly is not how we would like to be remembered. I hope you will give us another chance to prove we can do better. I would be happy to personally take care of your arrangements. Please contact me when you are ready to do so.

Warm regards,

Nabil Moubayed
GM - Palomar Chicago
312-985-0761
Stirling, United Kingdom
Reviewed January 1, 2011

I could write endlessly about how wonderful this hotel is...but, in essence: outstanding customer service and welcoming, helpful staff who are willing to do anything for you (most notably, Darren the doorman and Mark the concierge!); large, clean, quiet, modern and comfortable rooms; a beautiful lounge that was decorated for Christmas with a gorgeous tree and Christmas scent, as well as a warming, welcoming fire; free seasonal refreshments for all guests, provided three times per day in the cosy lounge, which were very popular and great for mingling or simply reading a book with a warm apple cider or glass of wine; and, the best part for us, was the fact that the hotel went out to buy two Christmas trees for our bedroom simply because I had emailed to say that I loved Christmas and hoped the hotel would be nicely decorated for our first trip to Chicago! So touching, the staff go above and beyond in every way, and we miss it already!

• Stayed December 2010, traveled with family