“Well done”

GreenLeadersSilver level
Dallas, Texas
“Well done”
Reviewed August 22, 2010

Every detail of the hotel is well done. The decor is very clean and balanced. Suited perfectly for a relaxing get away or a business trip. Sable, the restaurant, was amazing.

• Stayed August 2010, traveled with friends

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (617)
Des Moines, Iowa
Reviewed August 22, 2010

There is a lot to like about this property and it is a hotel that gives 5 star touch and feel for a 4 star price. Comments: One of our traveling party had a housekeeping mix-up but the staff was appropriately apologetic. There is a small but serviceable swimming pool and a great sun deck adjacent to the pool which is in turn adjacent to a well equipped health club. The pictures both on tripadvisor and on the official website fairly depict the rooms and common areas. A standard king guest room is not a large as similar rooms at some larger 4 star properties in the area, but is bigger than some standard rooms at other so-called 4 star properties in the river north area. Funky and fun music plays constantly in the common areas and elevators. The rooms are quiet and the beds are comfortable with excellent linens.

Newport Beach, California
Reviewed August 21, 2010

Only stayed for a night, before moving onto the W when my friends arrived the next day, but what an experience at the Palomar. Customer service was top-notch. When I arrived in the taxi the bellhop took my bags and when he opened the door to the cab, said "Welcome Mr. ...." I was stunned for a second and asked how he knew my last name, "It's on your airline tags" he said. I was just floored. Something so small but so detailed set up what was to be a great stay. The receptionist was lovely and without saying anything, she advised I was upgraded to a suite. I paid the normal rate and did nothing, that I know of, to warrant this! The room was lovely and expansive. Spent most of the afternoon at the pool, which was very nice as well.

I would highly recommend this hotel to anyone staying in Chicago. In comparison to the W I felt this was heaps better and much less $$$.

Stayed August 2010, traveled solo
Madison, Wisconsin
Reviewed August 20, 2010

We stayed here for 2 nights at the end of July for a short vacation. We actually saw it listed in one of the travel magazines we get. We got a fairly decent rate and coughed up the $46 per night for valet parking. It was convenient.

Our stay was extremely nice. Easy check in. The staff was all courteous and very helpful. I joined the Kimpton In-touch program before reserving and, with that, got $10 worth of mini-bar items free and a free morning paper. We got a paper the first day, but not the 2nd day. I called to the desk and we got one...they actually had to go buy one someplace!?!? The room was really clean. There are some reviews that mention the bathroom door. It is different...it slides...and does not close all the way. But if you are related-- a little inch or two should not matter.

We did not stop for the free wine in the evening or use the bar/restaurant attached. We did use the pool. They say it is heated...but I am not sure about that.

The location was perfect for walking. The free trolley that goes to Navy Pier stops right across the street.

If the price was right, we definitely would go back.

• Stayed July 2010, traveled as a couple
usa
Reviewed August 20, 2010

My husband and I stayed at the Hotel Palomar for a long weekend in August. I signed up for the Kimpton rewards program just before booking, and also found out about their 'secret password' program. So upon check-in I said the password and we got upgraded to a luxury suite. Perfect! The room was nicely designed and spacious, with a fabulous bathroom, great workstation and heavenly bed. Since I'd signed up for the Kimpton rewards program, I got free WiFi (!) and also got my preferred feather pillows and NYT delivered in the morning. All of these little things amounted to what was a fantastic stay!

The staff all around was friendly and helpful. The hotel has a 'living room' off the lobby, which is exquisitely designed, where they serve morning coffee and evening wine. We didn't get to sample the wine unfortunately, but both morning took advantage of the coffee. It is really a nice touch. They even had iced coffee, as well as Mighty Leaf Tea (read: great tea). In between the coffee and wine, they served homemade lemonade and iced tea - fabulous!

I also have to give the hotel's restaurant, Sable, massive kudos. We ate there our second night. By the end we wished we had eaten there the first. The cocktails are absolutely out of this world, and the food was amazing. Service was also fantastic, and the prices are completely reasonable. My only gripe is that the dining area was as cold as a refrigerator, so we sat in the (equally nice) bar area instead.

I'll end with this: I've stayed in several Chicago hotels at similar price points. No other hotel comes remotely close to the Hotel Palomar. For the same price I've stayed at hotels without any of the personal touches or extra amenities, where I've felt like part of the tourist herd. We did not feel this way at Palomar. It's absolutely fantastic and we'd stay again in a heartbeat.

1 Thank dmoutsop
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
Reviewed August 19, 2010

I read so many wonderful reviews about Customer Service, so I was quite shocked at how poorly I was treated by the front desk employees. I arrived with my husband and two children during the highly noisy wine hour. There were four workers behind the front desk. Two were engaged in their own conversatiion and two were assiting guest. I waited in line for what I thought was an unacceptable time to check-in, so I went over to the two women who were chatting behind the desk and asked if they could check me into the hotel. I was certain that they would say that they could not because they had ignored us the entire time we were standing in front of them. After checking-in, I called down for information regarding city tours and was advised to come to the lobby to speak directly to the concierge. After another wait at this busy front desk, the concierge indicated that he could arrange to purchase trolley tour tickets at a discount for me. I decided to wait until the next morning to make the purchase because I wanted to be certain my family was up for the adventure. When I arrived at the desk the next morning, the front desk attendant told me I could walk over to a booth a few blocks away to make the purchase. When I mentioned that the concierge the night before said that I could purchase them at the hotel, she told me I would have to wait for him to arrive at 10:30 a.m. (over 1.5 hours from the time I made the inquiry). When I returned to the desk after 10:30, the concierge was able to coordinate the purchase in the hotel. He also asked if I had received a map of Chicago upon my arrival and I informed him that I had not. He gave me a great map that would have been a tremendous help the first evening as we ventured out to find a restaurant recommended by the other concierge (we got a little lost based on his verbal directions).

The bathroom door did not completely close, so this was an unpleasant surprise. Not sure if this was by design, but I can't imagine that someone would design a bathroom adjacent to the front door that does not close completely.

• Stayed August 2010, traveled with family
Indianapolis
Reviewed August 19, 2010

The location of this hotel is fantastic. We did all that we could in 2 nights in chicago. Everything went smooth,,,,, except,,,, we could not get the room temperature stable. The configuration of the room was such that the air conditioning would blow directly on the bed. Specifically right in my face. It would blow in my face, get real cold and them stop allowing it to get very warm again. This went on all night, my wife and I did not get a good nights sleep. Then we had to drive home with no sleep. I hope that most of the other rooms in this hotel are not configured in this way.

• Stayed August 2010, traveled as a couple
GMPalChi, General Manager at Kimpton Hotel Palomar Chicago, responded to this review, August 20, 2010
Dear Indianaboy:

Thank you for your comments from you recent stay with us. We are so sorry that you had issues with your HVAC blowing in your face. I am sure our staff would have been more than happy to help you move to a different room with a better HVAC configuration if they had been informed. I am truly sorry that did not happen as we clearly want you to have a good night's sleep when you are staying with us.

I do hope you were able to enjoy some of the other fun and unique features of our Kimpton Hotel, such as the complimentary coffee and tea, evening wine hour and afternoon tea and lemonade service.

We do hope you will give us another try when you are in Chicago and thank you again for your feedback.

Best regards,