“Nice Location, Great Service, High Class almost Snobby Hotel” 5 of 5 bubbles

Kimpton Hotel Palomar Chicago
Ranked #9 of 187 Hotels in Chicago
GreenLeadersSilver level
Minneapolis
“Nice Location, Great Service, High Class almost Snobby Hotel”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 16, 2010

I have stayed in over a dozen hotels in Chicago. The Palomar was by far one of the best. Most of the staff was great. We had an upgraded spa room with huge floor to ceiling windows. The bar is a must stop, great scotch, beer, and absinthe selection. When there talk to John behind the bar. He was helpful, attentive, knowledgeable, and over all exceptional. Some of the other older staff seem a bit snobby. Acting as though their job was beneath them. The pool is small but has an awesome view. The concierge was on top of her game. With her help we got THE best table at Smith & Wollensky and a wonderful sushi restaurant. All in all the Palomar is a wonderful addition to Chicago.

• Stayed July 2010, traveled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
GMPalChi, General Manager at Kimpton Hotel Palomar Chicago, responded to this review, August 19, 2010
Dear foureyedg:

Thank you so much for recent review of our Hotel Palomar. We are so glad that you had a great time at the Hotel as well as Sable Kitchen and Bar right next to us. We always appreciate our customer's feedback both good and bad.

We hope to see you back in Chicago soon at the Palomar.

Warm regards,

GM - Palomar Chicago

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (610)
Chicago, Illinois
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 14, 2010

My boyfriend and I stayed at Hotel Palomar in July while in town searching for places to live. After reading the rave reviews on TripAdvisor, I decided to book after finding a great deal on Orbitz. I have to say, well done reviewers! The hotel was all we expected. The staff was incredibly friendly and very knowledgable about the area. The location is perfect - steps from Michigan Ave and sitting on top of the Red Line stop, which was perfect for us. The rooms are great - funky design, really comfortable. Great night sleep on the bed too. I could not have asked for more! I would definitely recommend staying here. Just make sure you have the location handy if you are taking a taxi/share ride from the airport - it's still pretty new and not everyone knows where it is.

• Stayed July 2010, traveled as a couple
Dear kwtlax:

Thank you for writing a review on the Palomar Chicago. We are so excited that you are moving to the City. We hope that you will stay with us again.

Take care,

Asheville, North Carolina
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 14, 2010

My partner and I stayed in a King Spa Premier Room as a special one-night treat after getting LEGALLY married in Iowa that morning.

I selected this hotel because of the Kimpton reputation, and exceptional corporate policies. I love being able to recycle at the hotel, just as I do at home. I also really love that they had a Pride package rate this summer (which we were never able to work with our summer schedule).

Making the reservation was time-consuming because the website said rooms were available, but I kept getting error messages when trying to book the room. Then I called the number on their website and they told me they were "fully committed" for the night we were trying to book. So then I got on a discount travel website and booked the hotel room for that night in two seconds. Too bad I wasted all that time on the Hotel Website! Frustrating!!!

Now, on to the hotel itself. The swimming pool is very small and was full of kids when we were there. The pool also does not get deeper than 3-feet-7-inches, so it's very shallow. I do like the roof top deck a lot. Nice view, comfy chairs.

Valet parking was VERY expensive ($46), but our car's contents were safe so I'd say it was worth the money. We were moving across the country so our car was FILLED with stuff and everything was kept safe and the valets were super speedy and our car arrived in no time after we checked out. Friendly valets. When we arrived, Bleu was very fun to talk to. Super nice guy. When we saw him later, a bell hop had obviously told him that we were celebrating our LEGAL IOWA marriage, and he told us "Congratulations!" So sweet of him to remember us and congratulate us!

My very favorite part of our hotel room was our bathtub! We stayed in a King Spa Premier room and the Fuji soaking tub is wonderful! I have stayed in a LOT of VERY nice hotels with very nice bathtubs, but this was my very favorite bath tub!

The room was immaculately clean, and beautifully designed. So aesthetically pleasing!

Even though we were on the "14th" floor, you could still hear quite a lot of street noise, including sirens. However, it quieted down by the time we went to bed. Plus, the bed was so comfortable that we slept very soundly. The bedding is luxuriously soft and comfortable, and I really appreciate that the sheets and bedding did not smell of bleach or strong detergent.

All in all, we had a wonderful experience here. We actually tried to extend our stay, but they were all booked up! Too bad. I cannot WAIT to go back!!!

And don't forget to tip the staff! If you're staying in such a nice hotel, you can surely afford to tip well. Don't forget to tip your maid, valet, and bellhop GENEROUSLY. Especially the cleaning staff--cleaning rooms is such hard work, they deserve BIG tips!

• Stayed August 2010, traveled as a couple
Sandusky, Ohio
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 14, 2010

We checked into Hotel Palomar Friday the 13th, and the reception personel were very friendlly and helpful. Had a few issues with check in. Our first room only accomodated two people and we had three so they held our luggage while a different room was being cleaned for us. After checking into our second room the airconditioning did not work. They kept sending workers up to fix it, however after the first hour, I asked my husband to please get us yet another room. Staff was wonderful in finding us a room and gave us complimentary drink tickets for our trouble. Only trouble is, we are not drinkers. Overall the stay is nice, lets see how our second night is! Oh and the baggage guys were the most helpful of everyone!

• Stayed August 2010, traveled with family
Dear mallmaj:

Greetings from the Palomar Chicago and thank you for taking the time to write a review. I apologize that a few things did not go right when you first arrived. I hope we were able to rectify everything to your liking. We look forward to welcoming you back to the Palomar in the near future.

4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 14, 2010

Stayed at the Hotel Palomar, July 5th, for one night with wife and children ages 10 & 12. Chose the Palomar to try something different and it was and it was all good. We were greeted by a friendly helpful doorman and then entered a very modern looking lobby. The front desk glows and there is a fireplace in the lobby were at various times there was complimetary lemonade, water coffee, and wine. The room was really nice and we all had animal print bathrobes. When Cullen, the bellman, told us pets were permitted at the hotel, my girls mentioned they had no pet. A few hours later a goldfish appeared in our room and my girls named it Cullen. We swam at night in the pool and had it to ourselves. A blue light lit the ceiling of the indoor pool and you can walk out onto a large deck furnished with lounge chairs. There is free WiFi, a refrigerator, and everything in the room was very nice. Upon leaving the bellman filled my large cooler with ice. The Navy Pier was short and free trolley ride away. Michigan Ave. was within walking distance. This was our first stay at a Kimpton Hotel and we really enjoyed it.

• Stayed July 2010, traveled with family
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
Markham, Canada
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 13, 2010

I read the reviews from Trip Advisor and decided to book a stay. We were very pleased with our experience. The staff was friendly and very helpful when asked about the sites and sounds of Chicago. The door man Darren aka D, went out of his way to be helpful, far beyond are expectations, a true ambassador for Chicago.
Not used to the city noises, we found the traffic, emergency services sirens disturbing to our sleep, but other than that. Excellent!!! Thank you to the entire staff!

• Stayed August 2010, traveled with family
Dear deb181720:

Thank you so much for writing a review about your experience with us - we are always very grateful to our guests for taking the time to do that. We are also very pleased that we were able to make your trip special.

We hope to see you visit us again in the near future.

Best regards,

Toronto
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 12, 2010

I also booked our stay based on the previous reviews and I am so glad I did! All of the positive reviews are correct. This is an amazing hotel! No sense repeating some of the details other people have written about, i.e. wine reception, coffee/tea and other beverages, location, ALL GREAT!

When making our reservation, I was not able to book our last night as there was no availability. I emailed the hotel to ask if we could be put on a wait list. Nabil, the manager, quickly responded and promised to check into the availability for us. Although a music festival was happening during the upcoming weekend, he arranged for us to stay at his hotel for our entire stay! Perfect, as who wants to pack up and move to another hotel for one night. Nabil was awesome in making our trip perfect and so memorable. There were some personal reasons for us needing to getaway, and one night Nabil had champagne delivered to our room! How thoughtful is that? At other hotels you are a number and they don't care what might be going on in your life.

We arrived early last Sunday and were immediately greeted by “D” (Darren). What a wonderful guy! He is so friendly and aims to please. Every morning when we left the hotel D would ask where we were headed, gave directions and suggestions on where we could eat that day. Not only “D”, but Mateo, Mark, Cullen and all the staff are WONDERFUL!!! So helpful, friendly and they all make you feel so welcome. You can tell each of them love their jobs.

We arrived at 10:00 a.m. so understandably our room wasn't going to be ready for awhile. They stored our luggage and we had brunch at the Sable. Our meals were delicious and they gave us so much food, we could not eat it all. Prices were reasonable too.

Nabil told us that Transformers 3 was filming just down the street so we headed down to Wacker Drive and it was so cool to watch the action!

When our room was ready Cullen brought up our luggage and showed us around the room. We asked if we could get a mini fridge and, without exaggeration, within 5 minutes we had a mini fridge in our room - at no charge. Cullen again came to our rescue during our last night. While dining at a nearby restaurant red wine was spilled onto my husband. We headed back to the hotel to change and Cullen met us at the door. We told him our story. We went up to our room to change and less than 5 min. later, there was a knock at our door and Cullen had arranged for club soda to be delivered to our room. I am so sorry I forgot the gentleman's name who brought up the club soda, but he felt so bad when he heard what happened that he even offered to bring a bottle of wine to our room - not kidding! We needed more club soda and more was delivered immediately.

The rooftop patio was very nice and the pool looked nice also, although we never went in it. Never went to the hotel bar at night, but if other reviews loved it then believe it! Some people complained about the elevators, but we stayed there for 5 nights and never had any issues with a long wait or crowded elevator.

Our king room with the Figi tub was awesome! The tub was so relaxing after a day of walking and not irritating like other Jacuzzi tubs. The shower was huge. Some other reviewers complained about the sliding bathroom door not completely closing, but it wasn't a problem with us being a couple. We understand the hotel is in the process of repairing this issue. The turn down service was a very nice touch. We were on the 15th floor and heard some sirens during the day, but they did not keep us up at night. Very quiet hotel, didn't hear any other room doors closing, etc. The housekeeping service was excellent. The hairdryer and iron were great quality and it was a nice touch that the hotel supplied cotton balls and qtips. Also, there was a list of other items you could get for free or for purchase, at a minimal cost, if you forgot something. We also liked the tiger and zebra robes! A prior review complained about the number of tv channels, but there were lots for us. All the major networks, speciality channels (ie Discovery) plus plenty of high definition channels. To be honest, you don't go to Chicago to watch tv, but after a full day out touring there is enough on tv to just chill if you want to.

This is the best hotel we have stayed in. Would highly recommend it to anyone, and hope to return next year! Bravo to Nabil and all his staff!!! Thank you for making our stay so enjoyable. They truly make customer service their number 1 priority.

• Stayed August 2010, traveled as a couple
1 Thank okfyne
Dear VacationJuly2008 :

Thank you so much for taking the time to write such a wonderful detailed reveiw of your stay with us. It was also a real pleasure meeting you and helping make your trip so memorable.

We really look forward to welcoming you and maybe your friends next year.

All my best,