“Awesome Stay”

GreenLeadersSilver level
Toronto
“Awesome Stay”
Reviewed August 12, 2010

I also booked our stay based on the previous reviews and I am so glad I did! All of the positive reviews are correct. This is an amazing hotel! No sense repeating some of the details other people have written about, i.e. wine reception, coffee/tea and other beverages, location, ALL GREAT!

When making our reservation, I was not able to book our last night as there was no availability. I emailed the hotel to ask if we could be put on a wait list. Nabil, the manager, quickly responded and promised to check into the availability for us. Although a music festival was happening during the upcoming weekend, he arranged for us to stay at his hotel for our entire stay! Perfect, as who wants to pack up and move to another hotel for one night. Nabil was awesome in making our trip perfect and so memorable. There were some personal reasons for us needing to getaway, and one night Nabil had champagne delivered to our room! How thoughtful is that? At other hotels you are a number and they don't care what might be going on in your life.

We arrived early last Sunday and were immediately greeted by “D” (Darren). What a wonderful guy! He is so friendly and aims to please. Every morning when we left the hotel D would ask where we were headed, gave directions and suggestions on where we could eat that day. Not only “D”, but Mateo, Mark, Cullen and all the staff are WONDERFUL!!! So helpful, friendly and they all make you feel so welcome. You can tell each of them love their jobs.

We arrived at 10:00 a.m. so understandably our room wasn't going to be ready for awhile. They stored our luggage and we had brunch at the Sable. Our meals were delicious and they gave us so much food, we could not eat it all. Prices were reasonable too.

Nabil told us that Transformers 3 was filming just down the street so we headed down to Wacker Drive and it was so cool to watch the action!

When our room was ready Cullen brought up our luggage and showed us around the room. We asked if we could get a mini fridge and, without exaggeration, within 5 minutes we had a mini fridge in our room - at no charge. Cullen again came to our rescue during our last night. While dining at a nearby restaurant red wine was spilled onto my husband. We headed back to the hotel to change and Cullen met us at the door. We told him our story. We went up to our room to change and less than 5 min. later, there was a knock at our door and Cullen had arranged for club soda to be delivered to our room. I am so sorry I forgot the gentleman's name who brought up the club soda, but he felt so bad when he heard what happened that he even offered to bring a bottle of wine to our room - not kidding! We needed more club soda and more was delivered immediately.

The rooftop patio was very nice and the pool looked nice also, although we never went in it. Never went to the hotel bar at night, but if other reviews loved it then believe it! Some people complained about the elevators, but we stayed there for 5 nights and never had any issues with a long wait or crowded elevator.

Our king room with the Figi tub was awesome! The tub was so relaxing after a day of walking and not irritating like other Jacuzzi tubs. The shower was huge. Some other reviewers complained about the sliding bathroom door not completely closing, but it wasn't a problem with us being a couple. We understand the hotel is in the process of repairing this issue. The turn down service was a very nice touch. We were on the 15th floor and heard some sirens during the day, but they did not keep us up at night. Very quiet hotel, didn't hear any other room doors closing, etc. The housekeeping service was excellent. The hairdryer and iron were great quality and it was a nice touch that the hotel supplied cotton balls and qtips. Also, there was a list of other items you could get for free or for purchase, at a minimal cost, if you forgot something. We also liked the tiger and zebra robes! A prior review complained about the number of tv channels, but there were lots for us. All the major networks, speciality channels (ie Discovery) plus plenty of high definition channels. To be honest, you don't go to Chicago to watch tv, but after a full day out touring there is enough on tv to just chill if you want to.

This is the best hotel we have stayed in. Would highly recommend it to anyone, and hope to return next year! Bravo to Nabil and all his staff!!! Thank you for making our stay so enjoyable. They truly make customer service their number 1 priority.

1 Thank okfyne
GMPalChi, General Manager at Kimpton Hotel Palomar Chicago, responded to this review, August 19, 2010
Dear VacationJuly2008 :

Thank you so much for taking the time to write such a wonderful detailed reveiw of your stay with us. It was also a real pleasure meeting you and helping make your trip so memorable.

We really look forward to welcoming you and maybe your friends next year.

All my best,

Nabil Moubayed
GM - Palomar Chicago

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (635)
Tampa, Florida
Reviewed August 12, 2010

My wife an I stayed 3 nights. Great location except the occasional fire engine (firehouse a few blocks away) but I think regardless of were you are in the city you are going to here them quite frequently and I mean frequently, but not that big of a deal. Second, yes the bathroom door is a little, interesting lets say. An obvious failure at an attempt to be a little too out of the box. Great concept in style just poorly executed. But a supposed fix in the works, or at least I hope there is, b/c other than that this hotel is top-notch class, fun, and very convenient to anything in Chicago you could want. Besides there is a beautful bathroom in the lobby if this door thing really bothers you. This hotel is truly worth a try and so is the fabulous restaurant/bar downstairs (Sable). Great apps. and a very fun yet educational drink stop. Plenty of popular bars great restaurants and even infamous restaurants within a pleasant walk Portillos, Gino's East Pizza, Rock and roll Mc Donalds (24hrs) Joes Seafood and Steaks (visited all of them and all worth going to at least once during your stay) there are also many more that looked like very good candidates. Rush St and Michigan Ave within 3 minute walk. The "L" stops out front of the lobby. Cant ask for a better location and service and price.

Taormina
Reviewed August 11, 2010

I was at this albergocon the miafamiglia for 6 days. It 'a boutique hotel, very nice furnishings. In the air there is always a smell of clean, well inside the elevator. the rooms are comfortable, to see all that damage in strada.Ho found the ironing board and iron and 'a servizzi free, I' found it very comfortable, even the internet system is' free. The rooms are very clean and good restaurant.

• Stayed August 2010, traveled with family
Indianapolis
Reviewed August 9, 2010

Really enjoyed the hotel. Very stylish. Nice rooms. Great bed. Location is right in the heart of everythign. Easy access to anything Magnificent Mile related or Rush/Division. I would bring my significant other here to visit chicago or just visit with friends.

• Stayed August 2010, traveled with friends
Canada
Reviewed August 8, 2010

Had a great time at the Palomar. The hotel has some nice perks … daily free wine party in the lobby (living room) from 5-6, they served Yellow Tail and Sangria the days we were there, also free snacks on weekdays, but just the wine on weekends, no snacks then. Seating fills up pretty fast after 5, but lots of standing room.

Also a rooftop patio just off the pool room with great city views, nice place to tan and have drinks. Take your own or order them.

This is a funky hotel, hot music even in the elevator, the bar is hopping every night, cool doormen, off-beat décor, great staff, way cooler than the regular old hotels.

They are across the street from the stop where the free trolley goes to the Navy Pier, and they are half a block from the red subway line. The blue subway line comes into town from O’Hare, free transfer to the northbound red line at Jackson, get off at the Grand station for the Palomar. Takes an hour, saves a ton of cab fare, and costs $2.25pp, exact bills/change at the ticket machines. Get on the subway at Terminal 1.

Great location, 10-15 minute walk to the riverwalk along Wacker, or the nonstop action along the Magnificent Mile (No. Michigan Ave). Millennium park is about a 20 minute walk. Two blocks from the famous Brazzaz, a Brazilian steakhouse where carvers rotate around the tables with over a dozen styles of grilled meat, filets, ribs, tenderloin, shrimp, sirloin, lamb leg or chops etc on swords, and they carve you off what you want as often as you want, also nice salad bar. There is a Big Bowl 2 blocks away, and tons of pizza joints and other fast food. The high end shopping is on the Mag Mile. Discount shopping at a Target near the Monroe stop on the red line south.

The concierge has free tickets to comedy shows, and he will book it for you. But the show will turn down his request if they are selling well, it works best on off-nights.
Bob7@canoemail.com

2 Thank bob7
Miami
Reviewed August 6, 2010

Got a good deal staying her for 4 nights. It was priced the same as the Courtyard and such so I thought I'd trying something new.

What a nice stay!!

Staff:
Overly helpful staff, doorman addressed me by name, front desk couldn't do enough to help. They even have pre-printed directions to get you to all the popular Chicago sites.

Lots of little extras in the room like cotton balls, q-tips, special charging station for your electronics, umbrella, robes,etc... and a whole list of out of the ordinary free things you can request such as curling irons and heating pads.

Bed/ Room:
Really nice sheets, good, large mattress. Quiet room. VERY VERY quiet at night. Very modern. The room reminded me of the new look that the Courtyards are putting in all their renovated locations.

Lobby/ lounge:
Small but sufficient. Coffee/tea in the morning, tea/ lemonaid in the afternoon, and wine/ sangria (and sometimes hors d'oeuvres) in the evenings. All are complimentary. Morning and afternoon drinks are served with nice extras such as honey, vanilla flavoring, and wide variety of milks and sugars.

Location:
Right next to the red line which will take you with in a 10-15 min walk or bus ride of the museums (Field, Art Institute, Planetarium, Aquarium), Millennium park, and the Sears tower. Right next to Nordstroms...you can walk through Nordstroms and the accompanying mall and end up on Michigan Ave. Fantastic location!

Also close to Benny's Chop House which was really good.

FYI: Dogs are allowed, but you can request a pet-free room. They should advertise this more, as I almost didn't book because I'm allergic to dogs.

FYI: Yes, the sliding bathroom door does have a 2-3 inch gap close to the entrance to the room and it might be uncomfortable for some. Yes, you can easily peer into the bathroom as you enter the room when the bathroom door is closed, but who's looking.

Room Service:
Room service was a little aggressive. The woman emptied my shopping bag from Walgreen's and thew out my receipt and the opened packaging for the products I purchased. She left the products on the dresser. Sweet of her, except I was planning to return the merchandise. She was able to reproduce my stuff from the garbage...sigh...oh well. Needless to say, our room was sparkling every day.
(The hotel is very environmentally conscious so if you want fresh soaps everyday, you need to hide the old ones or notify housekeeping because we never got a new bar of soap our whole stay.)

Customer feedback is welcomed:
I noticed in other reviews that people didn't like using the bedroom slipper-socks, because it somehow seemed less sanitary than using a hotel towel. I see that the hotel now puts a fresh, tagged pair in each room and charges you for the socks if you open the packaging. I thought this was a nice way of listening to customer feeback and coming up with a solution.

Overall...great hotel....would love to stay again. What a pleasure!

• Stayed July 2010, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Debra06
Romeo, Michigan
Reviewed August 5, 2010

We read ALL the reviews on here before we booked our trip to Chicago... WE went with this STRICTLY based off the reviews..... Boyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy, am I glad we did! From the moment we got there to the minute we left, it was AMAZING!

We got there on a Monday, pulled right up, they took everything out and took everything up to the room and parked our car... We went up to the room and there was a NICE bottle of champagne with ice and a card for our anniversary...

The BAR is a GREAT atmosphere.. The 3 amigo's that work there are just GREAT! They really know how to make someone fit right in... The 1 bartender gave us a lesson on Tequila, the other made me try something other than Miller Light (lol ) and the other one made my wife a martini with FRESH mint!! Simply amazing and SUCH CLASS!!! Thanks again guys!

The entire staff was just great. We have never been there before and they told us right where to go, to the T! We had so much fun and felt safe the entire time... What a good feeling!

The rooms are as good as it can possibly get and the bathrooms are just SICK! Awesome shower and GREAT tub.....

We will be back.....

If there was 1 negative, it would've been that they didnt allow us to upgrade or mention anything to us on that, I filled something out online about a deal on upgrading if there were rooms available, I thought 4 sure it would've been offered with it being our 1st time and our anniversary. The person at the counter did say there were suites available.... Again, after I got in my room, I did NOT care.. Im not a picky type of person, they treated me great and that is why I am giving this place 5 stars.....ALL CLASS!

OH, and the location....... PERFECT! Within a 5 minute walk to ANYTHING!

Thanks again for making this 3 day getaway so special....

1 Thank New_Travel83
GMPalChi, General Manager at Kimpton Hotel Palomar Chicago, responded to this review, August 6, 2010
Dear New_Travel83:

Thank you so much for taking the time to review our Hotel. I am so pleased that you had a great time at the Palomar as well as in Chicago. We will be sure to share all of your feedback with the staff and we look forward to welcoming you back in the near future.

Warm regards,