“perfect, perfect, perfect”

Kimpton Hotel Palomar Chicago
Ranked #12 of 192 Hotels in Chicago
GreenLeadersSilver level
Reviewed July 8, 2010

This is the perfect hotel in every way from the arrival to check out. Beautiful surroundings, courteous, helpful staff and a lovely accommodation. Would certainly recommend this hotel.

• Stayed: July 2010

Reviewed July 7, 2010

From the moment my friend and I arrived at the hotel, we were greeted with smiles and wonderful attitudes, The doorman "D" was awesome along with the rest of the staff. They were all extremely helpful. They even pointed us in the right direction for events, restaurants and everything else in between, as it was our first time in the city. The hotel was very clean and the room was nice, stylish and very comfortable. I definitely would recommend this hotel for several reasons, the staff, the decor, and the location are just a few.

• Stayed: July 2010, traveled with friends
Reviewed July 7, 2010

I stayed at the Palomar with my young daughter for three nights June 17-20, 2010 and absolutely loved the hotel. The room was one of the nicest I've ever stayed in (My daughter loved the Fuji jetted tub so much that she wanted to take 2 baths a day!) in terms of decor, design, and size. (It compared favorably to much more expensive hotels I've visited in other cities). We very much enjoyed other amenities of the hotel. The fitness center was very attractive and well-equipped. I loved the roof-top terrace. I also enjoyed the hosted wine reception and the hotel bar and restaurant (loved the artisanal cocktails). We were disappointed that the pool was closed (I would have appreciated knowing that in advance. It may seem odd, but the fact that the Palomar had a pool was an important factor in my selecting this hotel--when traveling with a young child, a pool can be a real life-saver! (Burn lots of energy while taking a break from touring.) I did notice a couple of minor blips with housekeeping (rug on bathroom floor disappeared on first morning never to be replaced; shampoo and conditioner never got replaced even though completely used up), as well. We also experienced a lengthy Direct TV outage due to a major storm. However, I cannot overstate how clean and overall well-kept I found the hotel to be. It is also a great location for visiting the Miracle Mile.

The best part of my stay was the exceptional customer service. I don't usually note service at hotels, but in this case it really made an impression on me. Staff universally showed self-initiative, excellent responsiveness, and were very pro-active in addressing needs and questions. The concierge offered terrific assistance in arranging a swimming outing at another hotel that really impressed my daughter. I was also struck by how the front desk staff remembered previous conversations with me, and the bell staff were extremely resourceful, enthusiastic, and friendly. I am guessing that Kimpton has a philosophy of all employees using independent judgment and initiative. The results are awesome!

I am looking forward to another visit to the hotel. In fact, I have purposely extended an upcoming business trip to the Chicago area just so that I have another opportunity to visit and enjoy the Palomar once again. I expect to enjoy this next visit even more than the first.

• Stayed: June 2010, traveled with family
Reviewed July 7, 2010

A friend and I stayed at the Hotel Palomar for the fourth of July Weekend. The hotel was very nice. The location was amazing. We could walk almost anywhere. The room was very nicely appointed and the bed was sooo comfortable. Eventhough the bathroom door did not close all the way, it was still pretty private. My friend and I were not put off by the door. I really liked the Sangria during the cocktail hour in the living room. But what I liked best about the Palomar was the staff. They were soooo nice and accomodating from my boy D money at the door, to the ladies at reception, to my new friend Greg in housekeeping and my other friend Ricky. Any questions or request we had were answered and fulfilled. They had us smiling and laughing the whole time. We really appreciated all the information they provided us with about where to go and what to do. When I come back to Chicago I will definitely stay at the Palomar again. I am sure there are other nice hotels in Chicago but I am not sure if you would get the same level of friendliness and attentiveness from their staff. If you stay at the hotel and the doorman D is there tell him that G Money sent you. Lol.

• Stayed: July 2010, traveled with friends
1  Thank Tifplace
Reviewed July 6, 2010

I stayed at the Palomar with my boyfriend and his son for the 4th of July weekend and we had a wonderful experience. Most of the hotel staff were well trained and went above and beyond the call of duty to enhance our experience. Specifically, Gad and Ashley at the front desk were an amazing help during our stay. I especially enjoyed the jogging maps provided in the room. Housekeeping was impeccable. Loved the rooftop and common seating areas. Our room on the 5th floor was a little noisy due to the street traffic so I would advise requesting a room on a higher floor. The restaurant was nice with some unique items on the menu, but service could use some work. The bathroom door does cause a minor privacy issue, but it is not enough of a reason to avoid this gem. Having stayed at the Trump in Chicago, I can say for sure that this hotel is an incredible value. We will return.

• Stayed: July 2010, traveled as a couple
Reviewed July 5, 2010

We decided to spend a few days in Chicago for our 25th wedding anniversary. Noticing that Kimpton was opening up a new Palomar in the River North neighborhood, a great location, I decided to check it out, since I had thoroughly enjoyed my previous stays at the San Francisco Palomar. When I called to confirm my booking the day before we were to arrive, I spoke to Amanda at the front desk and I mentioned to her that we were celebrating our 25th anniversary, and said we would appreciate any little special touch they could add to make our stay more enjoyable. Amanda assured me that we would not be disappointed. When we arrived, we were informed that we had been upgraded to a luxury suite. Wow! A lovely three-room suite, tastefully decorated, with the most comfortable bed I think I've ever slept in, and with a beautiful bathroom containing a huge glass-enclosed shower and a soaking tub designed to comfortably accommodate two. Staff was professional and accommodating at every turn, from the bellmen to the front desk, to the staff at the hip Sable Kitchen and Bar. Everything and everyone exceeded my expectations in every way. Thank you, Amanda and Hotel Palomar staff! You can be assured that I will continue to make the Palomar brand and Kimpton hotels in general my first option when traveling.

• Stayed: June 2010, traveled as a couple
Reviewed July 4, 2010

I stayed here for two nights with my girlfriend over the July 4th weekend. The hotel exceeded my expectations and I would definitely stay there again.

Pros:

-The rooms were well appointed and very comfortable (the beds are extremely comfortable).
-Service was excellent from valet to front desk
-Sundeck had a great view and amenities looked nice although we didn't use them
-Compared to other hotels the prices for extras such as the mini bar and parking seemed reasonable

Cons:

-I didn't like the sliding door in the washroom, not as private as I would have liked
-Restaurant was overpriced for the quality of food and service (Don't bother with breakfast)

• Stayed: July 2010, traveled as a couple
1  Thank colindep