“Can't wait to come back to this hotel!”

Kimpton Hotel Palomar Chicago
Ranked #14 of 191 Hotels in Chicago
GreenLeadersSilver level
Reviewed June 24, 2010

We were excited to learn about the new Kimpton hotel and it did not let us down. The room was great (loved the lighted room numbers), the pool and exercise room were fabulous and the service was top notch. What other hotel offers soy milk with their morning coffee? Of course we always try to schedule our activities around the wine hour! We did order some snacks from Sable, the majority of which were quite tasty (avoid the pretzels as this wasn't worth it.) The hotel is very conveniently located. You can walk to Michigan Ave or grab the subway which is just a block away. The free internet is also appreciated as some other hotels charge $12/day! I can't wait to come back in two years for another conference!

• Stayed: May 2010, traveled on business
Write a ReviewReviews (2,819)

Reviewed June 23, 2010

The best customer service I have ever experienced at any hotel. My husband arranged this trip for my daughter and I to celebrate a birthday and graduation. When told of the event, the front desk manager upgraded our room to a suite, and a giant cupcake was delivered to my daughter on her birthday. The staff who worked the breakfast area got to know us in the few days we were there, and remembered our preferences every day.

A special thank you and unlimited praise go to the doorman, Darren. He greeted us by name daily, helped with our bags, and even walked us to the subway as we left. We have never been treated as well at any hotel regardless of price.

The hotel is new; the rooms are awesome as are the common areas. Prices are still great as the hotel builds its client base, but you better start making reservations early - with this level of service the hotel is sure to become the most popular in the city.

Thanks to all the staff for a wonderful stay (and to my husband for choosing this hotel!) We left the Palomar with one thought - "When can we come back?"

• Stayed: June 2010, traveled with family
Reviewed June 20, 2010

The only way I would stay at this hotel again is if 1) I was travelling alone/ with significant other only- will explain below, and 2) if it was a killer deal.
You have to appriciate the attempt at fine decor, but this comes along with one huge design flaw. The bathroom door is a barn style sliding door. It is a big over sized door on sliding track that slides over the smaller door opening. What this means is that the door doesn't close, at the doors resting position there are 2 inches of open space on each side of the door. Wouldn't mind this if I was with my partner only, but I was with extended family. You can hear exactly what's going on when someone is in the bathroom. This means every time I had to go I would have to take the elevator up to the gym for a little privacy. Also the pool was closed on our visit and they said they were working to open it, yet we never saw one single worker. Also we had an intense storm while there, which knocked out the cable for a day and a half. You would think a hotel in Chicago would have strong enough cable equipment to master their nasty weather. Lastly it was mission impossible in this place to get washcloths and soap. We called twice to get washcloths and never recieved them and had to find the housekeeping room ourselves. They don't give you more shampoo or conditioner each day and we also had to help ourselves to those. The housekeeping actually had the nerve one day to move the half empty shampoo bottle out of the shower and put it on the counter as if it was new. Ill trained staff and poor design will keep me away from this hotel again.

AmandaParsonsAGM, Manager at Kimpton Hotel Palomar Chicago, responded to this reviewResponded June 23, 2010

Dear Hppy Travels,

Greetings from Chicago! Thank you for taking the time to extend your feedback. It is very important for us to receive all reviews so we can better enhance the Palomar experience. Please accept my sincerest apologies for a visit that did not meet your expectations.

We are delighted to let you know the pool is now open, as of Thursday morning! The reason you did not see anyone working on the pool during your visit is because some work was being done in the pool area, such as patching and painting (mainly overnight) while other work was being done in the mechanical space below the pool. We are also very aware of the gap in the bathroom door and we can assure you it is a primary focus for us. We are working with our engineers and design team to create a more functional and aesthetically pleasing door for our future guests. I'm so sorry you felt we did not provide ample bathroom amenities. In an effort to support our green standards, our housekeeping team is trained to replace amenities that contain less than half the product. In the future, please don't hesitate to let us know if you need additional products. I can assure you our team makes every effort to provide exceptional service and I apologize for falling short in this instance.

I hope you will consider returning to the Palomar in the near future. Please don't hesitate to contact me directly if I may be of assistance.

~Amanda Parsons
Assistant General Manager
Palomar Chicago

Reviewed June 14, 2010

I have stayed at many highend Chicago hotels, but this one has the cleanest rooms by far!!

• Stayed: June 2010, traveled on business
1  Thank bookseller123
Reviewed June 11, 2010

I stayed at the Hotel Palomar with my family over the Memorial Day weekend. Based on the reviews I read here first I signed up for the Kimpton Hotel membership on line. That allowed us to book our hotel on line and get 2 breakfasts for $1 each. Also, the hotel staff booked our room on a high floor as I'd listed as my preference. The staff at Hotel Palomar was the friendliest and most accommodating group I've ever seen. The only downside with our experience was that many of the mechanical issues listed in earlier reviews have still not been addressed. Our HBO signal kept cutting out and our phone rang busy when we tried to order room service. I spoke to the front desk and they said the call should have automatically forwarded to them. Bottom line: Great service people but they need more repair people.

• Stayed: May 2010, traveled with family
3  Thank Joe J
Reviewed June 9, 2010

I stay in hotels around the US every week. Rarely do I have an experience that motivates me to write a review. A lot of mediocrity out there. However, Hotel Palomar was a stand out. Not only is it brand new and elegant, but the service was outstanding. I really felt valued and accommodated. Never before has someone at the front desk printed out my boarding pass! Also the prices were very reasonable. Kudos!

• Stayed: June 2010, traveled on business
Reviewed June 4, 2010

Stayed 4 nights at the end of May 2010 - 7th floor. Checked in smoothly prior to the check-in time. Hotel is new and clean. Room was large and nicely decorated. Wireless internet was fast. Very friendly staff. Morning cofee and tea was good. Wine reception at 5 pm was very nice. Lots of guests with dogs. Swiming pool on the 17th floor was fine, without strong smell of chlorine and not crowded. The deck on the 17th floor was prety cool, esp. because it was sunny. They overcharged me for parking - added an extra night - but they canceled the charge promptly. I like Kimpton hotels and would stay there again.

• Stayed: May 2010, traveled on business