“Great Hotel, great area” 5 of 5 stars

Palomar Chicago, a Kimpton Hotel
Ranked #10 of 185 Hotels in Chicago
GreenLeadersSilver level
Hollywood, Florida
“Great Hotel, great area”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 12, 2014

Spent one night at Palomar Chicago. Front desk staff and manager were extremely nice. Rooms are very stylish, floor to ceiling windows offer great views, bathroom fixtures and toiletries are very upscale. Many perks for being a Kimpton Rewards member. Rooftop gym was adequate enough. Artwork throughout was really neat. Morning coffee as at all Kimpton properties is top shelf. Perfect location to walk anywhere in River North, Michigan Ave and the Loop. Would definitely stay here again.

• Stayed August 2014, traveled on business
      Cleanliness
1 Thank mekogan
GMPalChi, Manager at Palomar Chicago, a Kimpton Hotel, responded to this review, August 15, 2014
Dear mekogan,

Thank you for your kind survey and thank you for your choice to return for future visits to Chicago. We are happy to hear that you enjoyed all things Hotel Palomar Chicago and that you are a true Kimpton fan! Enjoy the rest of your Summer.

AGM - Palomar Chicago

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (569)
Chicago, Illinois
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 10, 2014

I have no idea why this hotel is rated so highly. It's location is fantastic for getting around the city, but it is right around the corner from the fire department, so we had sirens going all night, all weekend!! Not relaxing. Also I paid for an upgraded "city view" and it faced west giving us a view of a half dozen barren rooftops. Again not pretty. The hotel was expensive so I assumed the rooms would be spacious but ours was small (adequate, but small). The HVAC was noisy and the toilet ran for 10 minutes every time you flushed. I would not stay here again unless I got a really great deal.

Room Tip: rooms on the northeast side would probably be quieter because you are further from the fire station.
  • Stayed August 2014, traveled as a couple
    • 3 of 5 stars
1 Thank shouse333
Dear shouse333,

So sorry to hear that you had a less than wonderful visit - and do not understand why we are rated so high amongst our peers. Please accept my apology for the issues that you experienced and know that we work tirelessly to accommodate all of our guests in the best possible manner by offering the best possible service. I do thank you for your feedback and hope that you would consider us one more time in the future.

Safe travels always,

Verona, New Jersey
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 10, 2014 via mobile

I stayed the weekend of 7/25-7/27/2014 and would definitely return. It was a bit overpriced, but the location is perfect, the room I stayed in was spacious, the restaurant, Sable, was excellent, the gym was serviceable, and the complementary afternoon cocktail hour was wonderful. That they are enthusiastically pet-friendly here makes this boutique hotel even more of a gem -- if I come back to Chicago I may take my little dog along just so we'll have to stay here again.

As other reviewers mentioned, definitely join the hotel's rewards program, as it gives you free wi-fi in your room right off the bat.

Stayed July 2014, traveled solo
Dear Carol B,

Thank you for your praise and wonderful comments about your recent visit. We would certainly love to have you back and definitely bring your little dog along for the trip! Great recommendation on joining Kimpton Karma - is definitely a wonderful program with attractive perks, including the complimentary wifi as you mentioned!

Very best,

4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 9, 2014 via mobile

We were lucky to book this room on short notice. This weekend was especially busy in the city ( Lolla '14). It was clean and spacious. We enjoyed the location as well being in the middle of the action. We don't stay downtown a lot, but the Palomar was worth it.

Stayed August 2014, traveled with friends
Dear Amie L,

We appreciate your review and kind comments. Happy to know that you enjoyed your visit and I wish you a wonderful remainder of the Summer season.

Kind regards,

Montreal, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 8, 2014 via mobile

Beautiful decor, well located, friendly staff that goes out if their way for you, reasonably priced, complimentary cocktails in the lobby every evening is fun, whatever you need they have it or will find it for you. They even put a yoga mat in our room!

• Stayed August 2014
      Cleanliness
Dear joanne p,

Thank you for your note and recommendations of our Hotel Palomar and your recent visit! Glad to hear you enjoyed the yoga mat and that your overall stay was pleasant and memorable. We look forward to your return visit!

Best,

Washington DC
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 6, 2014

We got a reasonably good deal on this hotel thru one of the websites. There were a lot of decent deals out there at other comperable hotels, so I am not sure this was any better than the other guys.

It is a great location, just a short walk to the river and the heart of mag mile. The room was nice: current decor, plenty big enough. Sheets were comfy. There was not much in the way of an information book. Very nice water pressure in the shower. That matters for some doesn't mean anything for others; you know who you are.

Kimpton does have a nice Happy Hour from 5 to 6 if you happen to be around for that. That is worth something. Don't know anything about the restaurant because there are thousands of other places to try. Pool was very standard, so was mini-fitness center.

Personally, if the deal was the same I would book it again but if there was something else out there at the same price for roughly the same location I would probably try that first.

• Stayed July 2014, traveled as a couple
1 Thank DCPaul1
Dear DCPaul1,

I thank you for sharing your feedback from your recent visit with us. I do appreciate your giving us a try here at the Palomar, and although it does not sound like you would, I do hope that you would consider staying with us again so that we can have the opportunity to welcome you back. I wish you safe travels always, and a wonderful remainder of the Summer season.

Kindest regards,

New York City, New York
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 5, 2014

This was my second trip to Chicago. This hotel was amazing. I signed up for their rewards program (just by entering my email) and they ask you all sorts of questions about what makes you happy when you stay. I asked for a high floor, they put me on their top floor! They asked me all sorts of questions that I didn't even know existed- for example what kind of pillow I wanted? Each room came with a yoga mat, they even do running with the manager once a week! The pool was on the roof (I didn't use it but it was a pretty cool view). The customer service was incredible. I had an early morning meeting and needed a good breakfast. I asked them to deliver the breakfast to me at 7am because I had to leave at 7:30am (keeping in mind that the earliest they claimed to deliver was 7:30am). The food, to my surprise, was delivered by 6:58am! Way exceeding my expectations and the breakfast was actually really good. Overall awesome experience. Awesome location- I stayed for 3 nights and spent each night just walking around the hotel because there were so many shops and restaurants around it was fun to see everything. Definitely recommended!

• Stayed July 2014, traveled on business
      Sleep Quality
1 Thank Amanda D
GMPalChi, Manager at Palomar Chicago, a Kimpton Hotel, responded to this review, August 13, 2014
Dear Amanda D,

Thank you for such a wonderful review and I am very happy to know that you enjoyed all things Kimpton, during your stay! Thank you also for joining Kimpton Karma Rewards, and sharing with the community the wonderful perks and benefits to becoming a member. We certainly look forward to welcoming you back to our Palomar Chicago, as well as any of your future Kimpton Hotel stays!

Best regards,