“Great Experience”

GreenLeadersSilver level
New York City, New York
“Great Experience”
Reviewed August 5, 2014

This was my second trip to Chicago. This hotel was amazing. I signed up for their rewards program (just by entering my email) and they ask you all sorts of questions about what makes you happy when you stay. I asked for a high floor, they put me on their top floor! They asked me all sorts of questions that I didn't even know existed- for example what kind of pillow I wanted? Each room came with a yoga mat, they even do running with the manager once a week! The pool was on the roof (I didn't use it but it was a pretty cool view). The customer service was incredible. I had an early morning meeting and needed a good breakfast. I asked them to deliver the breakfast to me at 7am because I had to leave at 7:30am (keeping in mind that the earliest they claimed to deliver was 7:30am). The food, to my surprise, was delivered by 6:58am! Way exceeding my expectations and the breakfast was actually really good. Overall awesome experience. Awesome location- I stayed for 3 nights and spent each night just walking around the hotel because there were so many shops and restaurants around it was fun to see everything. Definitely recommended!

• Stayed July 2014, traveled on business
1 Thank Amanda D
GMPalChi, Manager at Kimpton Hotel Palomar Chicago, responded to this review, August 13, 2014
Dear Amanda D,

Thank you for such a wonderful review and I am very happy to know that you enjoyed all things Kimpton, during your stay! Thank you also for joining Kimpton Karma Rewards, and sharing with the community the wonderful perks and benefits to becoming a member. We certainly look forward to welcoming you back to our Palomar Chicago, as well as any of your future Kimpton Hotel stays!

Best regards,

AGM - Palomar Chicago

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (625)
Chesterland, Ohio
Reviewed August 4, 2014

We travel a lot both for business and pleasure and I have learned to look out for Kimpton Hotels. The Palomar Chicago is just another example of why.

Kimpton Hotels are simply fun to visit. They have off-beat yet tasteful decorating and all kinds of unusual but welcome amenities.

FIrst a tip: Join their loyalty program. Theirs offer immediate benefits including free wi-fi (which is very good by the way) and a "raid the bar" coupon when you show up entitling you to essentially a free drink at the bar or from the minibar in your room. Even if you don't, they have a wine cocktail hour around 5:00 which is not only nice but also a way to meet other guests (or not, depending on your likes).

We were upgraded to a suite on arrival. It was a true suite with separate bedroom and living room areas. The decorating throughout the hotel was both a little off-beat and tasteful and featured many images from the "White CIty" world's fair in the 1890s.

They don't have coffee in your room, but they do have free coffee and several kinds of tea and three or four different newspapers in the comfortable lounge. You can enjoy a quiet cup in the lounge or take it back to your room.

The staff was warm and welcoming.

The location is about two blocks from Michigan Avenue (the "Magnificent Mile") and in addition to the very nice Sable restaurant attached to the hotel there are many nice offerings in the area. If you take the train, there is a red line station almost catty-corner from the hotel.

The Palomar is a terrific choice in Chicago. If it's full, take a look at the Monaco, about a 5-minute walk away, which is also excellent.

• Stayed August 2014, traveled on business
1 Thank ElaineAndGreg
GMPalChi, Manager at Kimpton Hotel Palomar Chicago, responded to this review, August 9, 2014
Dear ElaineAndGreg,

Thank you so much for this detailed account of your visit, and your overall recommendation of ours, and all Kimpton Hotels. We are very grateful for such wonderful descriptions and suggestions for other travelers seeking boutique hotels like ours. One quick note to add on your comments regarding our coffee service - we actually do offer Keurig Coffee Makers upon request for our guest rooms - so keep that in mind if you would also like to have service in your room! Again, your comments and notes are well-received and we hope to see you again for your next visit to Chicago. And I must agree, our Hotel Monaco here in the city is also an excellent choice!

Toronto, Canada
Reviewed August 3, 2014 via mobile

We selected this hotel based on the reviews of Trip Advisor.
We were not disappointed. Although it is not a five star hotel it is a well deserved 4 star one.
The place, although clean and proper looks a little bit dated. The are several details missing such as a knowledgeable concierges to help you finding a restaurant, place to have lunch (restaurant opens at 3pm) but nothing is too important. The staff is very friendly (with one exception in the restaurant for breakfast) and they seem to make a dedicated effort to make you feel comfortable.
It is well located, only 3 blocks to Michigan Ave, lots of good restaurants around and a 5 minutes walk to the loop.
The only annoying thing is the constant sound of ambulances or firetruck sirens. There are hardly 3 minutes without them and boy they are loud!
Since the windows are well insulated this doesn't bother you for sleeping.
What I might say is that the quality of the mattresses needs improvement.

Stayed July 2014, traveled with family
Dear Carlos L,

Thank you very much for your honest feedback and compliments on your recent visit here at the Palomar Chicago. We very much appreciate it and I thank you for taking the time. Regarding your comment about our lack of knowledgable concierges - I am certain you did not speak with either Mark or Bobby, our dedicated, and very seasoned concierge team. I apologize that neither of them were available to assist. I do thank you for choosing to stay with us and we certainly look forward to welcoming you back in the future!

Best,

Paducah, KY
Reviewed August 3, 2014

Spent three nights here recently during a long weekend trip to Chicago. We stayed in a King Spa River Room the first two nights and then for the last night moved into a one-bedroom due to having our unexpected teen-agers needing a place to stay. The front desk was very helpful in accommodating our request. Both rooms were exceptionally clean. I think we preferred the first room as it was more quiet, however. Love Kimpton properties and have stayed in numerous locations. The Palomar was a wonderful choice. Make sure you are a member of the InTouch Loyalty Program so you can get free Internet access. The location was fabulous for walking and dining around the area. Will definitely stay here again. Also, enjoyed a fabulous meal at Sable Kitchen and Bar.

• Stayed July 2014, traveled as a couple
Dear jdvmd,

Thank you for your kind comments and five star rating. We are thrilled to hear that you and your family enjoyed our hotel, as well as the, can't miss, Sable Kitchen and Bar! We appreciate your choice to stay with us and welcome to the Kimpton family!

Best regards,

Reviewed August 3, 2014 via mobile

Outstanding best describes this hotel! I was getting married in Chicago and mentioned this in my reservation. The hotel staff noticed this comment and couldn't have been more gracious and thoughtful in acknowledging it.

The staff: Amazing best describes each staff member I encountered. Everyone is pleasant and helpful. They truly seem to enjoy their jobs. A special kudos to Brandon at the front desk for all his hospitality!

The hotel: the public areas are well kept and clean. Our room was spacious and very nicely furnished. The bathroom is luxurious. It had a deep soaking tub (which I actually used) and a huge glass enclosed shower w a wonderful rainfall shower head.

The hotel is located in a great area surrounded by shops and nice restaurants. It is also a short walk to Michigan Avenue shops as well.

Sable restaurant: a great place to dine. Good energy, fun servers, tasty food and a huge selection of unusual, hand crafted cocktails.

My experience at the Hotel Palomar was outstanding! I will certainly return!

Stayed July 2014, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Robb111962
GMPalChi, Manager at Kimpton Hotel Palomar Chicago, responded to this review, August 8, 2014
Dear Robb111962,

Thank you very much for your comments and review here. Congratulations on your recent marriage! We greatly appreciate your choice to stay with us for such a special occasion, and we hope to see you and yours again real soon!

Best,

Reviewed August 2, 2014 via mobile

From the moment of my arrival until the time of my departure, I found the service to be incredibly friendly and professional. The staff goes over and above to provide extraordinary customer service. The hotel itself is beautiful, clean and very well located. It is an easy walk to the Magnificent Mile and several fun restaurants right near the hotel. The staff at the Palomar truly seem to enjoy their jobs taking excellent care of their customers.

Stayed August 2014
Dear Lisa C,

We would like to offer our gratitude and appreciation for your kind words and I am happy to hear that you were treated very well by our team! Please know that we most certainly do enjoy our jobs taking care of our customers and we look forward to your return visit!

AGM Palomar Chicago
Quincy, Illinois
Reviewed August 2, 2014 via mobile

Was not sure what to expect but other reviews were decent so I decided to give it a try. Hotel lobby is ok, without an attached bar but there is a nice one next door. Room was actually larger than i thought it would be with best shower head ever! The location is great. Wine happy hour pretty cool too. I'll stay here again. I'm usually a more luxury type person when it comes to chicago hotels but I'm giving the boutique hotels a chance. Glad that I have!

Stayed August 2014, traveled as a couple
Dear tim p,

Thank you for your review and I thank you for giving us a try at the Palomar. Glad that you enjoyed our hotel, specifically the shower head in your bathroom! Thanks for giving us boutique hotels a chance, and we look forward to your return.