“Thanks for making our trip special and Excellent location downtown!”

Kimpton Hotel Palomar Chicago
Ranked #10 of 190 Hotels in Chicago
GreenLeadersSilver level
Merritt Island, Florida
“Thanks for making our trip special and Excellent location downtown!”
Reviewed July 6, 2014

We stayed at different hotels during our stay in Chicago. Both were downtown and I picked the Palomar hotel based on Trip Advisor Reviews and it's location. The other hotel we stayed at was for my husbands business trip and I won't mention the name of the other hotel in this review but is listed in the top 20 hotels like Palomar and I thought Palomar had far better service and accommodations. Both hotels were located downtown but Palomar is right in the center of everything and has great views. I started getting communication from Palomar right after I booked our trip and I mentioned it was my husbands birthday. They stayed in communication with me wanting to know what they could do to make our trip special. I requested a room with view, a mini fridge and gold fish for the kids. I also requested a room with double queens. They came through in all areas including room with a view in a quiet location! The work out room is at the top floor of the hotel and has all windows. They have an indoor pool on the very top floor which was one reason I choose the Palomar initially but after experiencing their customer service I am a Kimpton loyalist. Mark the concierge was super helpful and friendly as were all the other front desk staff. We loved the complimentary coffee/tea in the morning. They also had complimentary wine/lemonade/flat bread pizza in the evening every day but we kept missing it because we were so busy sightseeing. I still can't say enough about the central location and how easy it was to get around. Ton's of great places to eat right next to Palomar. It is right next to the Magnificent mile with tons of great shopping. I didn't have much to compare to until I went to other hotel 4 blocks away which lacked in the personal service and little things that make Palomar standout. The beds were very comfortable and the hotel staff went out of their way to provide exceptional service. We also ate at the Sable Restaurant downstairs and the Weber Grill Restaurant across the street.

Room Tip: Great views on top floor and corner room is quiet!
Green Features: Loved the paper cups used in the morning for coffee and tea. Loved the organic tea and the coffee was delicious. They didn't use trash bag liners in the room trash cans we thought this was kind of strange but I guess it is eco-friendly, less plastic.
1 Thank NaturalLiving37
GMPalChi, Manager at Kimpton Hotel Palomar Chicago, responded to this review, July 10, 2014
Dear NaturalLiving37,

I cannot thank you enough for such a wonderful review. It is great to know that you were well-taken care of, from the reservation process, to our concierge communication prior to your arrival, throughout your visit, and through to your departure. Thank you for noticing and appreciating our green efforts and then you for mentioning Mark. He gives his all, every day for us, and loves to know when he has helped to make special memories for our guests.

Best regards, and thank you for your business,

AGM - Palomar Chicago

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (635)
Chicago, Illinois
Reviewed July 5, 2014 via mobile

We booked this as a last minute trip to the city through Priceline. I was very pleased with the location, service and cleanliness. The concierge was very friendly and consistently asked where we were headed, how it was etc.

My daughter complained of the size of the pool but to be honest, there aren't many hotels downtown with a pool. Something is better than nothing!

Valet parking was almost 60 for the night- I hate paying that but it's on par with most of the downtown hotels.

Stayed July 2014
Dear lookin4fun71,

Thank you for sharing your comments and thoughts here on Trip Advisor regarding your recent visit. We certainly appreciate the 5 star rating and I thank you for your understanding with the parking rates and our pool. Although our pool is not the largest, you certainly cannot beat the view from the 17th floor! We hope to see you again soon, and have a wonderful Summer!

Saint Louis, Missouri
Reviewed July 5, 2014

We really enjoyed this hotel as I expected we would. Great location in river north. Surrounded by restaurants of all kinds. The red line train is one minute from the front door. You can walk to the cultural attractions on Michigan ave. The hotel is understated in an elegant way. Terrific doormen and valet attendants. Enjoyed the complimentary wine hour with flat breads. The deluxe king room was surprisingly roomy with floor to ceiling windows. The room and furnishings is very sleek. I especially appreciated the dimmable lights in the large cabinet containing the tv. These made perfect night lights. The bathroom was also sleek and clean as was the rest of the room. The front staff is very helpful with suggestions.....they even gave me a better route home than I was planning on taking. If you plan on eating dinner at Sable, book early, otherwise you can always eat in the bar. We used the free raid the mini bar for a late night cap. The furniture in the lobby is overdue for replacement as well as the leather desk chair in the room. The valet parking is high in keeping with the neighborhood at $58 a day. Overall a perfect place to stay in Chicago and we will most definitely stay here again. We did not even notice the street noise. If you are in river north, there are a lot of people on the street having a good time. One more thing.....we loved the red and tan carpet in the room. Would like to have it in our bedroom at home.

• Stayed June 2014, traveled as a couple
Dear archcity I,

Thank you very much for your greatly detailed review, and I am thrilled to read that you had a wonderful stay with us! Your comments and descriptions are very much appreciated. Thank you for your feedback on the condition of your desk chair and our lobby area furniture. We are aware of these concerns and are happy to report that we are replacing all of our guest room desk chairs as well as the furniture in our living room - this year. I wish you a wonderful Summer season, and safe travels to you.

Miami, Florida
Reviewed July 4, 2014

The room, bed, and location are great! Everyone at the front desk is also very accommodating and welcoming. My only complaint is that the walls are thin and you can hear everything. There was a wedding party at the hotel on the weekend I stayed so perhaps the guests were a little more boisterous than usual. I would not recommend this place to a light sleeper. However, if noises do not bother you much for sleeping, then this hotel is a nice property.

Room Tip: If you are light sleeper, then this hotel may not be the best for you.
  • Stayed June 2014, traveled on business
GMPalChi, Manager at Kimpton Hotel Palomar Chicago, responded to this review, July 9, 2014
Dear lovetoski1973,

I really appreciate your feedback and am so sorry that the hotel was noisy during your visit. We always want our guests to have a restful and comfortable visit, but looks like we were unable to provide while you were here. Please know that your kind words and recommendations do not go unnoticed and if there is anything I can help resolve further, please feel free to contact me directly.

Best regards,

Toronto
Reviewed July 4, 2014

The hotel is beautifully decorated. The rooms are nicely done. The front desk staf was good especially Aaron but the check in could have been better. It wasn't slow it just seemed robotic to me. No questions were asked about my vist, no "is this your first time in Chicago". Just could have been a little more personal
We only stayed for one night and checked out early for personal reasons...but
I have to tell the world about the wonderful service provided by their concierge Bobby. From the first email I sent to the last email I sent yesterday he was gracious, he was attentive and he my tripadvisor friends is the Reason why you should visit this property.
The location is great and the recommendations he made for two restaurants we went to were spot on
Kimpton hotels is lucky to have an individual who represents the brand the way he does.

• Stayed July 2014, traveled with family
3 Thank bruceygirl
Dear bruceygirl,

I must whole-heartedly agree with you on your last comment in your review - we are truly lucky and very appreciative to have such an individual as Bobby Gonzalez, representing our company the way that he does. I thank you for all of your praise here regarding Bobby as a true ambassador of the Palomar Chicago. Regards to your other points, I certainly appreciate your feedback and I must admit that Brandon, Joseph, Abdul, and I worked hard behind the scenes to make your visit a great one, but I understand that we must have fallen short somewhere along the way. I did reach out to you immediately via email after reading some of your internal communications with our team here at the hotel regarding your early departure expereinces, asking you to call me so that I may have the opportunity to resolve and learn from your challenges, but I never did receive a response or call from you? Please know that I would still very much like to discuss your concerns with our hotel that caused you to shorten your stay, so that I can hopefully resolve to your satisfaction. If you should choose not to reach out, I certainly wish you the best in your future travels, and I do thank you again for your feedback.

Best regards,

Kansas City, Missouri, United States
Reviewed July 2, 2014

Great hotel with nice amenities. Pool could have been nicer and maybe had a few more chairs to layout. Bar was a little overpriced, but solid drinks. Workout room was nice. I would consider coming back and I would recommend the 1 bedroom suite which was about 750 SF and a good deal.

Room Tip: Make sure to get the larger rooms.
Green Features: They were okay. Nothing really stood out to me to be honest.
Dear Pat D,

I thank you for your review and very much appreciate your feedback. We certainly do our best to grow and improve from our guests' comments, and I truly do thank you for sharing. We hope to see you again soon here in Chicago and I wish you a wonderful Summer season.

Best,

basking ridge, nj
Reviewed June 30, 2014

My daughter and I stayed for two nights at the Palomar while visiting colleges. We made the mistake of taking the subway from the airport, which was a long and sweaty ordeal with luggage because my daughter did not want to wait in line for a cab. We arrived, exhausted, at noon and thought we would check our bags and come back later. The lovely woman at the desk suggested that we could possibly enter our room early and we were so grateful that it could be arranged. The concierge named Benny G. Was very helpful with suggestions for sightseeing ( the architectural boat ride was terrific) and suggestions for restaurants. Our room faced the street which turned out to be quite noisy with sirens all night long. The hotel itself was in a great location, near lots of stores and restaurants. The staff was super helpful.

Room Tip: Street is noisy so request one in the back.
2 Thank suzyd43
Dear suzyd43,

Thank you for sharing your review here from your recent college visit trip with your daughter. I do hope she is considering one of our great schools! So sorry to hear about your stressful trip in from the airport, but glad to know we were able to accommodate you early and get you and your daughter on your way. I do understand about the city sounds here in River North, but appreciate that you still offered your praise all around. I thank you for your business and your feedback.

Enjoy your Summer,