“An amazing level of service - so impressed and will be back!”

Kimpton Hotel Palomar Chicago
Ranked #12 of 189 Hotels in Chicago
GreenLeadersSilver level
Champaign, Illinois
“An amazing level of service - so impressed and will be back!”
Reviewed April 4, 2014

I stayed at the hotel Palomar for two nights in March with my young daughter for a mommy-daughter weekend downtown. I had called and spoken with Sam at the front desk to talk through my arrangements and she was very friendly and helpful! Upon arrival, the front desk staff was friendly and efficient. As this was a trip focused on my daughter, I appreciated the efforts made by the staff to include her in the conversation! When we arrived in our room, we were delighted to find a pet goldfish - for our stay - waiting for us, along with a hand-written note from Sam to my daughter wishing her a fun trip. Along with the note was a small bowl of gummy bears!! Additionally, they provided a child-size animal print robe for her! She was thrilled!

The room was clean and neat. The bed was just okay. If you are a coffee drinker, you'll need to request a coffee pot, as they are not already in the room. I called at 11pm to inquire about coffee and five minutes later a gentleman, Elias, was at my door with a k-cup machine, coffee, cups, cream and sugar. Be sure to look online at everything they offer - above and beyond what you'd expect. I needed a steamer for clothes that I had packed and they sent that up too! We were pleased to find that the bathrooms also stocked cotton balls and q-tips. Sign up for free to be one of their reward members and you get free wi-fi at their hotels.

The following evening, we ran into Elias on our way in. He asked my daughter how our trip was going and how our day went and listened attentively as she ran through EVERYTHING. A few minutes after we had settled into our room, an employee arrived at our door with a tray. Elias has written us a note and sent up a plate of chocolate chip cookies and some milk!! It was the perfect ending to a wonderful day!!

We did try the restaurant and the food was great and service on par with the rest of the establishment - nothing short of wonderful! Our server put a candle on our dessert just because - happy un-birthday. My daughter was delighted!
The pool on the top floor is amazing at night! The room is lit up with blue lights and a view of the city!!
The wine hour looked fun, but very crowded! Find a seat early if you plan to sit inside. Having said that, there is a lovely seating area outside that is situated under an array of heat lamps for when the weather is cool.

Apologies for the lengthy review, but it really is so nice to be able to practically gush about a place on a review!
Overall, our experience was made so much more special due to the amazing service we received at this hotel. Literally, every employee we encountered was genuinely friendly and helpful - including the staff outside, who I believe are with an external company.
Valet is quite a bit more expensive than parking at the public garage at the end of the block. You may want to look into parking alternatives before you arrive.
If you are visiting the city with children, I would highly recommend this hotel. Be sure to call ahead and let them know you are coming with kids!

• Stayed March 2014, traveled with family
2 Thank swc740
GMPalChi, Manager at Kimpton Hotel Palomar Chicago, responded to this review, April 9, 2014
Dear swc740,

I cannot thank you enough for taking the time to write this wonderful review about your recent stay with us. Your kind words in all direction, are very much appreciated by our team, especially Sam and Elias - whom are both so happy to read that they were able to help make this a special stay for you and your daughter on her birthday celebration. Please know that such feedback is always welcome and we are all just grateful to hear that you enjoyed our hotel and we certainly hope to see you again soon!

Best regards,

AGM - Palomar Chicago

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (625)
Saint Louis, Missouri
Reviewed March 31, 2014

Well located hotel with great bar and restaurant. Very attentive personnel and smiles all around.
Free coffee in the morning or a Starbucks a block away and wine in the afternoon .

Only complaint is you have to
Pay for wifi as At most places.

• Stayed March 2014
GMPalChi, Manager at Kimpton Hotel Palomar Chicago, responded to this review, April 4, 2014
Dear joelpesapane,

Thank you very much for your kind review and five star rating. We are pleased to hear that you enjoyed your visit and were treated well by our team. A quick note on our wifi charges - as a member or our loyalty program, Kimpton InTouch, your wifi access is complimentary at any/all Kimpton Hotels. This is absolutley free to join and is a great perk offered to our members. We do hope to see you again in the future and look forward to welcoming you back!

Best regards,

North Vernon, Indiana
Reviewed March 30, 2014 via mobile

This was our first time to stay at the Palomar, and it was a great experience for me and my family. We have previously stayed at Marriott Magnificent Mile and at the Sheraton Towers when traveling for business, but wanted to experience a boutique style hotel while visiting Chicago over Spring Break.
The Palomar's location was perfect for walking to restaurants, and using the public transit system. Only negative point of location was the sound of sirens in the middle of the night. Coming from a rural area where sleeping in silence is a given, be prepared for the periodic siren or car honk while sleeping. My wife says this is part of the urban vacation experience.
The entire hotel staff was very accommodating. The bell man brought a leopard print robe and a goldfish to our room for my son's use. It was obvious this hotel appreciates families visiting Chicago.
Our 11th floor room was meticulously clean and the housekeeping staff consistently put our room back together each day of our 3 night stay.
The indoor pool really was heated, and served as a great way for us to unwind at the end of each day.
Mentally, I have been accustomed to larger hotels with big, open common areas. The Palomar's reception room was quaint, comfortable, and adequately served it's guests.
Will we stay at the Palomar again? Absolutely, yes!

Stayed March 2014, traveled with family
GMPalChi, Manager at Kimpton Hotel Palomar Chicago, responded to this review, April 2, 2014
Dear Jon D,

I want to thank you for choosing to stay with us for your spring break getaway - rather than your usual choices here in Chicago. And most of all, I am happy to read that you are now a fan! We certainly do love families here at the hotel and are always thrilled to hear when our guests truly enjoyed their visits. It was our pleasure to have you with us and we greatly appreciate your kind comments and recommendations. We certainly hope you will visit again soon and until then, take care and have a wonderful Spring!

chicago
Reviewed March 30, 2014

Booked a room for my husbands birthday. From the get go the service was top notch. We actually live in Chicago and have visited some of the other fine hotels. This one wins in genuine and friendly service. About an hour after we arrived, a large bowl of M&M's was delivered to our room because it was my hubby's birthday. Sweet! Everyone we encountered was so friendly and helpful. Some places "pretend" to be customer service oriented, but I got the impression that all the staff at this hotel is genuinely interested in each customer. The wine hour is a great touch, and by all means eat at Sable, the adjoining restaurant. One of the best meals I've had in a long time, and that's saying a lot in a city with plenty of amazing restaurants. The pool is small but lovely, and a refreshing quick dip. And the location is top notch...trendy restaurants and bars of every genre...something for everyone. I highly recommend this hotel.

• Stayed March 2014, traveled as a couple
Dear travel5760,

Your review is so kind and gracious and very much appreciated. It is wonderful to hear that our team treated you well and that you enjoyed all aspects of your visit, from the hotel to your fantastic meal at Sable Kitchen. I would also like to wish your husband a belated birthday and we hope to see you for yours as well! I bid you safe travels always and have a wonderful Spring here in Chicago. I'm betting you are as glad to have it finally here as we are!

Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
Reviewed March 30, 2014

We enjoyed our stay here earlier this month. The location is good, the staff was very friendly and helpful. We had a great view of the city from our 15th floor rooms, and the complimentary morning coffee and afternoon wine bar were much appreciated!

• Stayed March 2014, traveled with family
GMPalChi, Manager at Kimpton Hotel Palomar Chicago, responded to this review, April 1, 2014
Dear Elizabeth C,

Thank you so much for your very kind review and comments about your stay with us last month. We always appreciate such feedback and are happy to hear you and yours enjoyed your visit. We certainly look forward to welcoming you back and we hope it is very soon!

Peoria, Illinois
Reviewed March 29, 2014

My husband and I stayed at the Palomar at the end of March to celebrate my birthday. Overall, we were very pleased with our stay here and would rank it one of the best hotels we've stayed at in Chicago. There were only a couple things that made me rate it as 4 stars instead of 5.

First, the positives:
-We were upgraded for free to a one-bedroom suite because it was my birthday. We loved our room. The bathroom was spacious and luxurious, we loved having a separate bedroom, and we had two closets, which was nice.
-The wine hour was awesome. They brought around flatbread pizzas as well and we enjoyed the atmosphere.
-Everyone was very friendly and helpful.
-We enjoyed the outdoor heated seating area.

Now the few negatives:
-We had trouble getting anything we requested to our room. The first day, we requested a luggage rack be brought to our room as we were on our way out. First, I think they should just have one in each room regardless. Upon returning two hours later, no luggage rack. So we called down again and it took 20 min. for someone to show up. Then he had a rolling luggage cart. Once we explained to him that we wanted a rack, he brought it back within a few minutes.
-The first morning we were there, I called down and requested a straightening iron. It was listed on the card of complimentary things they would supply. We were on a time schedule to get somewhere and 20 min. later, no straightener. We called down again and explained the time crunch and they promised it within 90 seconds. A couple minutes later, a maid did come up, but she had hair spray not a straightener. Finally a few minutes later we actually got the straightener. Overall I was just very disappointed in how long it took to get requested items and both times, our requests were initially forgotten about.
-The bed is very hard and not comfortable. I miss the Heavenly beds at the Westin.
-Be warned that if you use the jets in the jacuzzi tub, there is a cleaning cycle that automatically runs about a half hour afterwards. We didn't know this. They never said anything and there was no sign. We went to bed immediately after using the jacuzzi and were not happy to be woken up by this loud cycle. Having no idea what was going on, we had to call down to the front desk; the front desk person had no idea what was going on and had to call the maintenance person and call us back. An inconvenience at 1 AM when we are tired.

I want to emphasize that overall, our experience was very positive. I just wanted to be honest and point out the things I think the hotel could improve upon. I would definitely stay here again and hope the next time I do, I'll be able to give a five-star review.

Room Tip: We enjoyed room 1016. Street noise does not bother me much and I didn't hear much anyways. It wa...
Stayed March 2014, traveled as a couple
1 Thank SeeJessTravel
Dear SeeJessTravel,

I want to thank you for sharing your comments in your review here on Trip Advisor from your recent stay. It is great to read the positives of your stay with regards to our team being friendly, our ability to upgrade your room to a suite for your birthday (happy birthday, by the way!), and your overall experience being very pleasant. Furthermore, I would like to thank you for your detailed comments where your stay would have been improved, had we not fallen short in these areas. These are all excellent points and ones that we have reviewed wtih our team to ensure that they are not repeated. We certainly appreciate and welcome such feedback as we utilize it to improve and grow. I wish you safe travels and we hope to see you again soon here at the Palomar Chicago.

Chicago, Illinois
Reviewed March 29, 2014

I stayed here about a week ago and had the pleasure of meeting Joseph at the front desk. I'm actually a local and I live in the suburbs, but was too tired to drive back that night. Joseph was very accommodating and kind got me in real quick. I've eaten at Sable a few times and absolutely love it. I'm in the hospitality industry and I'm very impressed with the service in the restaurant as well as the hotel. The rooms are great, very chic. I love the bathroom amenities that's provided in the rooms as well the house slippers, which are very comfortable. Thank you for a great stay and I look forward to coming back!

• Stayed March 2014, traveled solo
1 Thank chicagobeenz
GMPalChi, Manager at Kimpton Hotel Palomar Chicago, responded to this review, March 31, 2014
Dear chicagobeenz,

Great to hear that we were able to accommodate on your recent decision to stay downtown. Joseph is certainly one of our best and I appreciate you calling him out here in your review. Also is always great to hear when someone in the industry has a positive experience with us - as well as Sable Kitchen. Your comments and your business are very much appreicated. Until next time, please take care.