“Beautiful Hotel - our 2nd stay...”

Kimpton Hotel Palomar Chicago
Ranked #13 of 189 Hotels in Chicago
GreenLeadersSilver level
Phoenix
“Beautiful Hotel - our 2nd stay...”
Reviewed December 26, 2013

We recently stayed at the Hotel Palomar Chicago and loved it; again. We have been fans of the Kimpton brand for greater than 10 years as their properties never disappoint. The Chicago Palomar is absolutely beautiful. It might be our favorite Kimpton hotel to date and we have stayed in 20+ throughout the U.S. This was our 2nd stay at this property. The State Street location is excellent. It’s a quick walk to Michigan Ave and many great restaurants and bars. It’s about 3 blocks from the Orange line, which has a direct route from and to Midway Airport.

Our Spa King Premier room was spotless and spacious with floor to ceiling windows on two sides. We had a nice view of the city (thanks Melissa – I’m so picky and you were so patient and nice ☺). The décor is “Kimpton Cool” and the bed was dreamy. The extra sitting area was a nice space to relax in and watch the snow. The bathroom was amazing. LOVED, LOVED, LOVED the huge Fuji soaking tub. Especially great after coming in from freezing temps! Everything about our stay was stellar and we look forward to returning.

P.S. Consider the deep dish at Lou Malnati’s. It’s divine!

Room Tip: The King Spa Premier rooms are fab…
2 Thank TraceyPhoenix
GMPalChi, Manager at Kimpton Hotel Palomar Chicago, responded to this review, January 2, 2014
Dear TraceyPhoenix,

What a wonderful review and such kind praise! We really appreciate your taking the time to share. A couple of notes for sure: I must agree on our King Spa Premier Rooms...I, too, love their setup and think they are some of our nicest in the hotel. Also, thank you for Melissa's shout out! She is certainly an asset to our team. And an excellent plug for Lou Malnati's Pizza! An institution here in Chicago, to say the least. Finally, and most important, I thank you for your Kimpton loyalty as that is our number one goal. We love to hear when our guests look forward to, and choose to stay with us due to the consistency and satisfaction they have encountered in their Kimpton experiences. We are very grateful.

Have a wonderful 2014!

AGM - Palomar Chicago

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (625)
Saint Louis, Missouri
Reviewed December 26, 2013

I arrived at this property on Friday, December 20, which was right around the Christmas holiday. When I arrived it was about 10 a.m. and I was expecting to have to leave my bags with the bellman, but upon arriving at the check-in desk, my room was ready! This really relieved a lot of stress as I was able to have a secure place to keep my bags and unwind for a few minutes before I headed out.
The hotel is conveniently located steps from the red line station and only a few blocks from Michigan Avenue.
The photos online do not do the hotel justice. The living room area is much nicer than it appeared. It was well decorated for the holiday season and had a very nice fireplace. They had hot chocolate all day long. In the evening they have a free wine hour which is well attended by the guests. In front of the hotel they have a heated "front porch" area with couches and tables. Even though it was cold outside, this was a great place to sit, socialize, and watch the cars go by.

The room was good sized for a downtown Chicago hotel and was clean. I was on the top floor and had a good view. The gym and indoor pool are also on the top floor, so it was only a short walk for me. Every morning I had a free paper delivered to my door for free.

The restaurant attached to the hotel is great, with good food, and excellent craft cocktails. I would highly recommend both this hotel and the attached restaurant.

Room Tip: Get as high as possible to lower the amount of city noise and increase the quality of the view!
Dear ptconner,

Thank you for sharing your comments regarding your recent stay with us on Trip Advisor. We appreciate the 5 star rating and all of your praise! Nice to hear that we were able to accommodate your early arrival. We certainly try to do so in all instances, but sometimes cannot due to business levels, time of day, etc...Also great to hear that you enjoyed our newly heated front patio. Definitely an experiment we've undertaken this winter, but so far, so good! I thank you again for your comments and your recommendations of our hotel as well as Sable Kitchen and Bar. You certainly cannot go wrong there for a wonderful dining experience!

Best in 2014,

Lexington, Kentucky
Reviewed December 25, 2013

This is our property of choice when visiting Chicago. Our arrival was smooth and the room was available a bit early, which was nice after a hectic flight. We received vouchers for free cocktails upon using the Kimpton "secret word." The wine hour was crowded, but supplies were plentiful and the staff kept up with demand. They also provided a continental breakfast in the lobby on Christmas morning, a nice and unexpected touch to accommodate guests and ensure that we could secure sustenance without venturing into the cold. Despite the fact that a good many families were staying, the hotel was quiet in the evening and the only noise was the usual street noise in this location. The fitness room is well equipped. Overall, an excellent property with good service.

• Stayed December 2013, traveled as a couple
GMPalChi, Manager at Kimpton Hotel Palomar Chicago, responded to this review, December 28, 2013
Dear SaraLZ,

I thank you, kindly for sharing your comments and feedback here on Trip Advisor. Happy to hear that you spent the holidays with us and that we were able to offer comfort, relaxation, and a nice atmosphere for you and yours! It is great to hear that we have become your Chicago hotel of choice, and we look forward to your next visit! Thank you very much for your business and a Happy New Year to you and your family.

SIncerely,

Kingston, Canada
Reviewed December 24, 2013

We were in town for just a day this past weekend to go to a Blackhawks game. I chose the Palomar as part of a Flight Network deal and I love this place! The location is perfect...right on State Street, steps away from many restaurants, the CTA, and very close to Michigan Ave. The staff are genuinely nice and very accommodating. Our flight came in at 9 a.m. and they were happy to let us check in early as there was a room available. The lobby is very nicely decorated and I especially love the heated outdoor patio - even in Chicago winter it was comfortable to sit outside. The room was a nice size: wonderful floor-to-ceiling window, modern decor, large bathroom (love the sliding door) and very comfortable bed. Given that our flight got cancelled we had to stay an extra night...no problem! Again, the staff are incredible here and they alone are worth it. This is my official Chicago hotel now. I don't care to stay anywhere else.

Room Tip: The Palomar is located close to a fire station. If you don't appreciate the sounds of big city...
  • Stayed December 2013, traveled with family
Dear Sandy H,

I love to hear that we are now your "official Chicago hotel!" Thank you so much for such a wonderful review and details of your experience and praise of the hotel. Most important, we are happy that you truly had a nice visit - from your guest room, to our heated patio, to your interactions with our team. We certainly look forward to welcoming you back soon!

Happy New Year!

Chicago, Illinois
Reviewed December 24, 2013

We had a nice weekend stay at the Kimpton with our 2 children...great location and friendly staff. The $58.00 for overnight valet was a little too pricy. The hot chocolate and happy hour are nice perks and the hotel was clean. If i could, I'd give it a 4.5 rating, but I'm just not sure what all the fuss is about this hotel. The beds and bathroom were ok, but nothing extradordinary. The room seemed a little worn, but overall very clean.

• Stayed December 2013, traveled with family
Dear tejal d,

Thank you for sharing your comments here on Trip Advisor from your recent visit. Glad you and your family enjoyed our fun perks with the hot chocolate offerings as well as our evening wine reception. I can understand if you were not "wowed" by your experience as many of our other guests are, where "to each, his own" certainly comes into play. We simply try to offer the best service we can and help in anyway possible to ensure that our guests enjoy their visits and feel like family when here. I wish you and yours a very Happy new Year and I thank you for your business.

Kind regards,

Reviewed December 23, 2013 via mobile

From the moment you walk in you are greeted with the serenity that enfolds this hotel. The check in is quick and the rooms (with great views) are only a quick elevator ride away. The room was clean and cozy. Dim-able lamps, very nice touch. The pool is great and the fitness center as good as most small gyms. The hotel restaurant (sable) is excellent and delicious. Roger was a very professional and courteous waiter. Very much looking forward to the coffee, tea, and hot chocolate bar tomorrow morning:)

Only Con: there is no free hotel parking. Nor is their valet service cheaper than just parking around the corner. It would be really nice if they could work out a discount for the hotel guests.

Stayed December 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Joshua S
Dear Joshua S,

Thank you for your very kind review and your five star rating of your vist! We very much appreciate it and I am happy to hear that you had a nice time with us here at the Palomar. Glad you were able to enjoy our relaxing atmosphere as well as dine in Sable with their wonderful menu and cocktails. I do apologize for the high price of parking here in the city. We do try to price our parking within the industry standard in the city, and are actually 5% less expensive than the average cost of parking amongst four and five star hotels in Chicago. Please know that we do appreciate your business and your feedback, and I thank you for staying with us.

Have a wonderful New Year!

Chicago, Illinois
Reviewed December 23, 2013

We live in Chicago but wanted to do a weekend in the city. The Palomar had reasonable room rates ( but the $58 night for parking is not, parked across the street for half the price), lovely décor, an exceptionally nice lobby to people watch, NY Time in the morning, very pleasant staff and well located from Michigan Ave., River North and the Loop.. and the greatest robes.. you have to see them. will stay again.

Dear rick422,

I share your love for "weekends in the city"...I, too, like to stay downtown with my family for weekend trips and I love to hear that you chose us to be your home away from home for this purpose! Wonderful to hear that you were truly able to relax and enjoy your visit - and we certainly hope you will continue to choose the Palomar for future getaways!

Happy New Year to you and yours,