“Great hotel”

Kimpton Hotel Palomar Chicago
Ranked #12 of 192 Hotels in Chicago
GreenLeadersSilver level
Reviewed September 6, 2013

Lovely staff. Great location. Beautiful views. Very nice pool and terrace. Quiet rooms!! Why not 5 stars? Carpet and fixtures need updating. The whole "boutiquey" themed bathrobes have seen their day ... Time to think clean, functional yet refined surroundings as your top priorities as a hotelier. Overall,though, good stay. Would return- especially with their last minute rates.

1  Thank garratys
GMPalChi, Manager at Kimpton Hotel Palomar Chicago, responded to this reviewResponded September 10, 2013

Dear garratys,

Thank you for sharing your comments and recommendations. Nice to hear that you enjoyed your visit and I appreciate your constructive criticism and suggestions on our decor and style. We have always had a positive response to our fun and quirky robes and other Kimpton "touches" - but I can certainly appreciate your opinion as we respect and invite our guests' feedback more than anything. Overall, happy to hear that you would return and we hope you are able to do so soon!

Reviewed September 6, 2013

We have stayed in several Kimpton Hotels and the quality here is just as good as we have come to expect. The King Suite we choose was wonderful. The bed was very comfortable and the lounge area was very spacious. Lovely well equipped bathroom - everything was very clean. All the staff have been very polite and helpful. Excellent location with a great selection of restaurants close by. We will definitely stay here again if we return to Chicago.

Room Tip: There is a little noise from the street even on the 15th floor which you only really hear late in th...
  • Stayed: September 2013, traveled as a couple

Dear Rock C,

Thank you kindly for your gracious review and details of your stay. We are happy to hear that all went well and that you and your family had a wonderful time. More importantly, it is great to see that all of your Kimpton experiences thus far, have been pleasant ones, and we will certainly work hard to continue that trend with your travels!

Very sincerely,

AGM - Palomar

Reviewed September 4, 2013

We had family that came in from Dallas, San Francisco, Ft. Myers, and Northwest Indiana for the weekend. The staff was very courteous and helped with every request. We had brunch in the restaurant and that was superb. The wine hour allowed us to unwind after being out touring, shopping, etc. The rooms were very clean and there were several perks for Kimpton reward members. The beds and pillows were very comfortable. I can't wait to go back.

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank skmccullough

Dear skmccullough,

We certainly welcome you back, anytime! Great to hear that your family gathering from all over the country was a success and that everyone was able to truly relax and enjoy their visits. Your kind comments about brunch, your room, and our service are very much appreciated and I wish you all safe travels - always.

Kindly,

Reviewed September 3, 2013

I stayed at Palomar after a blind selection from a booking site (You pick the star, they list the price, let you know when you book). Rooms are nice and spacious, apparently there are choices of pillows. Concierge can pretty much attend to most requests. Morning tea/coffee got some variety, but the main service should be the wine hour, where you can kick back and enjoy a glass or more wine or sangria. Sable restaurant also put out sample flatbreads once in a while. Just not too please with the valet parking service.

Room Tip: Join the loyalty club to get free wifi and $10 credit for mini-bar
2  Thank Gordon S
GMPalChi, Manager at Kimpton Hotel Palomar Chicago, responded to this reviewResponded September 4, 2013

Dear Gordon S,

Great to hear that your online booking landed you here with us at the Palomar! Thank you for your kind review and I am happy to hear that you were able to enjoy some of our perks as wine hour and local recommendations. We certainly hope to see you again soon and I wish you safe travels always.

Reviewed September 3, 2013

My husband and I chose the Palomar Chicago as our base for a much needed "stay-cation" away from our kids. It was awesome! We live in suburban Cicago and we've stayed at most of the 4 or 5 star hotels in the Chicago downtown area and the Palomar definitely lands at the top of our list. The rooms are gorgeous, beds comfortable, and the halls even smell wonderful! We stayed in a king spa premier room and it was very spacious with an amazing bathroom. The bathtub is a huge Fuji tub and the separate shower was huge as well. There isn't much of a view because of the location, but the location is very convenient to the downtown attractions such as museums, restaurants, and shopping. I have to mention that most of the staff was top notch. Sara, at the front desk, was amazing! She left champagne in our room to help us enjoy our night out away from the kids. We also were able to take advantage of the free wifi for Kimpton In-Touch Members!

To give a totally honest review, I have to mention a situation that rubbed me the wrong way. Palomar has a list of items called "forgot it? we've got it" This is a list of approx 20 or so items that are frequently forgotten at home and they provide them free of charge if you ask for them. So, i called the front desk and asked for Chapstick and a toothbrush.....both of which are listed. The guy at the desk, Randy, I think, said that they don't carry Chapstick, then he asks if it's on the "forgot it list". I told him yes and he said that someone would bring it to us shortly. So, a guy comes up to our room, hands me the toothbrush, smirks, and says "Now, what else did you ask for?" I told him Chapstick. So, he laughed, shook his head, and said "I don't know if we have that, I'll have to check, I don't know" The problem I have with this is that employees should be aware of what is on this list that is prominently displayed in guest rooms and I shouldn't be made to feel awkward about asking for it. By te way, I didn't get the chapstick. However, this experience didn't ruin our stay, it was just annoying.

We will definitely stay here again when we need a hotel room in the city!

Stayed: September 2013, traveled as a couple
2  Thank Tamera B

Dear Tamera B,

I want to thank you so much for sharing your review. I am always happy to hear when our guests have such a wonderful stay that they turn to the online community to recommend and detail their experience. Your praise is very much appreciated. Please allow me to apologize for the situation with the chapstick. There has been some confusion with this on our end, as this is a relatively new item on our list. Our full team should have known about this, and I am so sorry that we dropped the ball with you in this area. Furthermore, the encounters you experienced with regards to this request are certainly being addressed and I want to thank you for bringing them to our attention. I do appreciate your willingness to return, in spite of these encounters, and I can assure you that these challenges will be resolved prior to your next stay.

Many thanks,

Reviewed September 3, 2013

We are total travel & hotel junkies! We'll use any occasion as an excuse to try new hotels and check out new cities. The reason this is key to my review, is because we are known for trying many different hotels, as if were on a search for the ultimate hotel. After our last visit, it'll make our total amount of stays at 3 in the same hotel. We love the fact we can bring out dogs to this hotel with us, and they are treated as if they are one of the family. Thank you so much Kimpton & Palomar team for being the best doggy hotel around!

Dear GirlsGoneThrift,

Nice to hear that your third time with us was another success! I agree on our pet-friendliness and we are always happy to host our furry friends and family! Thank you for such a kind review and remember...4th time's a charm - so we will see you for your next visit!

Best regards,

Reviewed September 3, 2013

Yes, I know you may think this hotel is pricey, but aren't all hotels in Chicago expensive? This hotel has provided us with 2 great experiences. We love the decor, the staff/service, the happy hour, and the location. Immediately upon pulling up to the front door, you begin receiving their excellent service from friendly staff - the valet to park your car, the doorman to greet you, and the bellboy for your luggage. The front desk staff is always smiling and always looks up when you walk by to say hello (instead of ignoring you as many other hotel staffs may).

The one time we had an issue with our shower drain, they made sure it was fixed before we returned to our room. We have not yet been able to try out the restaurant because they are always full when we are there - be sure to make an advance reservation because I've heard the food is very good! We are going to do that next time! I can vouch for their room service breakfast - it was excellent and very nicely garnished.

In fact, we have enjoyed all of the Kimpton hotels we have stayed, and we look for Kimpton when we visit large cities. We joined the free membership with our first stay and now get free wi-fi in our room when we are at any Kimpton. I highly recommend staying here on your next Chicago trip.

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled as a couple

Dear Ticarrol,

I cannot thank you enough for such an encouraging and positive review! Your appreciation for all things Kimpton, your patience with us when we had the hiccup with your shower drain, and your decision to return to, and recommend our hotel, are very much appreciated. I am happy to hear that you did enjoy your stay, and we are grateful to have you as a new Kimpton loyalist!