“Fantastic hotel!!”

GreenLeadersSilver level
London England
“Fantastic hotel!!”
Reviewed August 29, 2013

We stayed here during a hot August and booked two rooms for my husband and I and our kids in their own room. We were upgraded to a beautiful suite overlooking the city! I loved the extra touches at this hotel - fabulous bath robes in animal prints, yoga mat and socks plus a wine hour in the lobby 5 -6. A really lovely sun terrace for relaxing late afternoon and wonderful pool! The staff were fantastic especially Robby and Mark on Concierge who helped plan our whole sightseeing week with tickets and advice! The position of the hotel is really perfect too! Would definitely return or visit other Palomars! My only complaint was there were only two elevators for the whole building and this often resulted in a long wait to get back to the room or go down - but only a minor thing!

Room Tip: A high up room overlooking the city - if you can bag a suite do so as they are really spacious and h...
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
GMPalChi, Manager at Kimpton Hotel Palomar Chicago, responded to this review, August 30, 2013
Dear Ali24,

Thank you for your kind praise of our hotel. We very much appreciate the feedback and I am glad that we were able to upgrade you into one of our suites. Most importantly, we are happy you were able to indulge in our little "Kimpton Touches." So sorry for the long wait times for the elevators. Unfortunately, we do not have much control over this issue, but I do appreciate your not letting it affect your overall satisfaction. We hope to see you again soon and safe travels to you, always!

Kindly,

AGM - Palomar Chicago

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (625)
New Jersey
Reviewed August 27, 2013

I was so pleased when I visited Chicago this month to stay in the Palomar. I chose it because Klimpton hotels are so much fun--their happy hour is great way to end the afternoon. My room was clean and well-appointed...and ready early (I arrived at noon and would have been ok with waiting). The concierge was terrific--I wish I had written down his name. He got me a last minute baseball ticket, recommended restaurants that were perfect for me (I indicated I wanted something that wasn't quite 'a scene' and sent me to the very wonderful old Chicago Gene & Georgetti), helped me w/ my boarding passes, etc. Just great. My only quibble: those elevators. What a nightmare. I was nearly run over exiting by people rudely pushing their ways in. But overall, a treat.

Room Tip: Ask for something away from the fire department. Those engines can be noisy for folks who aren'...
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled solo
Dear Traveller300072,

Thank you for sharing your feedback! Wonderful to hear that you had such a pleasant experience and that we were able to assist with your activities and plans during your visit. Cannot go wrong with a classic like Gene & Georgetti either...So sorry for the near elevator trampling...Glad to hear that you're okay, though. Please come back and see us soon and I wish you a wonderful day!

Toronto, Canada
Reviewed August 27, 2013

We found this hotel on Trip Advisor and decided to book because of all the positive feedbacks we read. It was my wife's birthday and the Sari and Sam looked after us. We received an upgrade for our room and was pleasantly surprise to see a bottle of bubbly and strawberries with chocolate when we walked into our room. The room was huge, clean and modern. Throughout our stay, Sari took care of us and made us feel at home. Thanks go out to James, the concierge for handling our bags, providing direction and advice on where to eat. The attention to detail here made our vacation experience a memorable one.

Thanks Palomar.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear GCC_Toronto,

First off, allow me to wish your wife Happy belated Birthday! I am happy to hear you chose to celebrate it here with us at the Palomar and that your visit was a success. Thanks for mentioning Sam, Sari, and James as well. They were thrilled to read this and we all thank you for taking time to share your feedback. Feel free to make your wife's birthday an annual weekend visit here at the Palomar!...see you next year?

Kind regards,

Switzerland
Reviewed August 26, 2013 via mobile

Friendly, clean, spacious room, nice pool and interesting bar. You can even get a free drink and a delicious free pizza at the end of the afternoon in the lobby. I don't see how they could improve. This is perfect. Thank you.

Stayed August 2013, traveled with friends
Dear mbordui,

Great to see that you had a nice time while you were here! Definitely sounds like you were able to relax and enjoy our amenities. Our team members are always here to help and make sure our guests are well taken care of...We hope to see you again and I thank you for sharing your review!

Ottawa, Canada
Reviewed August 26, 2013

We spent 5 nights at the Palomar this past week, and enjoyed every part of our visit. We found that the hotel delivered in all ways - very nice and helpful staff, a great atmosphere and clean and well appointed rooms. Love the Kimpton approach to making guests feel welcome - we had our two kids with us and took advantage of the full kid package, a goldfish in the room, kid sized robes, and use the pool every day.

Special mention is due to Sara at the front desk who ensured that we found everything that we were after and to Mark for making it easy to set up our days. This hotel continued to surprise as the days went on, we had a problem with our bar fridge, which they were quick to replace, and even Mark the maintenance guy was very friendly and helpful.

Obviously this was one place that we will return to, a great visit overall.

Room Tip: Higher floors are good, as there is street noise in Chicago.
Dear 123Fraz,

Thank you for such wonderful comments about your stay! So glad that your kids enjoyed our fun "perks" and that Sara, and both Marks you encountered were helpful and friendly. We would love to have you back with us soon and I wish you a wonderful remainder of the season with safe travels always.

Kind regards,

Edina, Minnesota
Reviewed August 25, 2013

The Palomar is an excellent hotel located in the block of 500 North State in Chicago. The staff is very committed to service, and the concierge team of Bobby and Mark are very welcoming and knowledgeable. Easy walk to the Museums and Michigan Avenue. Our one bedroom suite was great...Sable is a very solid restaurant, and the bar is fantastic, fun and quite lively. Palomar works for business as well, as access to the Loop is very easy. Definitely will stay here again...

• Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Dan S
GMPalChi, Manager at Kimpton Hotel Palomar Chicago, responded to this review, August 26, 2013
Dear DanS,

Very nice review and we are very grateful for your taking the time to share! Mark and Bobby are certainly commtied to service, as you mentioned, and I am glad you were able to work with them both. Thank you for recognizing them here! Agreed on Sable and I know Chef Heather is very appreciative of such praise as well. Your business is much appreciated and we hope to have you as our guest again soon!

sevenoaks
Reviewed August 24, 2013

Booked this hotel as stayed in Kimpton hitel in San Francisco and San Diego and had a great time. We were not disappointed. I was travelling with my daughter who had recently celebrated her 21 st birthday. They made a real fuss of her and left a handwritten birthday card and chocolates along with some drinks for her. Staff are fantastic. Nothing is too much trouble. The position of this hotel is also great. If you want to avoid the traffic jams the blue line train that goes from the airport is efficient and simple to use. You get off at Lake and either walk for 10 mins or grab a taxi to the hotel.

Room Tip: Higher rooms are probably better as there is some road noise.
1 Thank cazzieash
Dear cazzieash,

Thank you for submitting your gracious review to the Trip Advisor community. First and foremost, allow me to wish your daughter a Happy 21st Birthday! Glad to hear you all spent it here in Chicago and I hope you had a wonderful time. Great recommendation on the blue line access to our hotel from O'Hare Airport. Happy to hear that this was an easy and convenient mode of transport for your stay. I thank you, sincerely for choosing to stay with us based on your Kimpton experiences in California, and I hope that you have joined our Kimpton InTouch loyalty program to reap those benefits. We hope to see you again soon!

Best regards,