“birthday getaway”

Kimpton Hotel Palomar Chicago
Ranked #13 of 192 Hotels in Chicago
GreenLeadersSilver level
Reviewed July 27, 2013

husband surprised me with a birthday getaway at this top notch hotel in Chicago. VERY nice room and had wine in lobby in evening and complimentary coffee in the morning. Room was smallish but still very nice. Really no complaints, except Chicago traffic!

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled as a couple
GMPalChi, General Manager at Kimpton Hotel Palomar Chicago, responded to this reviewResponded July 30, 2013

Dear tocz:

So pleased we could be part of your special surprise birthday weekend. And I could not agree more, Chicago traffic can be brutal.

Take care and see you soon.

GM - Palomar Chicago

Write a ReviewReviews (2,798)

Reviewed July 26, 2013

I've not stayed in a "young" and modern hotel such as the Kimpton brand and I was very impressed! I joined the loyalty program and enjoyed the benefits. The dressing gowns are so cute! The room was spacious, nice bathroom, fabulous view from our corner room, looking down North State Street. Close to everything - including the rooftop bar over the road! The wine tasting in the lounge was a nice touch!

Room Tip: Corner rooms on higher levels offer great views and plenty of sunlight!
  • Stayed: August 2012, traveled as a couple

Dear StrayKiwi:

So glad you enjoyed your stay with us - sounds like you had a chance to enjoy all that Kimpton In Touch offers - wine hour, Free Wi-fi, Raid the Minibar, cool and different robes, great location.

When in Chicago again, I hope we will see you.

Reviewed July 26, 2013

I spent a week at the Palomar recently, organised through my firm's Chicago office. It was a very enjoyable 7 days. I had a good sized double aspect room on the 7th floor - it was great to have the sun shining in, despite the heatwave (yes, the ac is very effective!). The bed was extremely comfortable, the bathrobes were fun, the hair dryer was powerful, good etro toiletries, masses of powerpoints, and a yoga mat, with fitness DVDs available from the front desk. The room had no coffee/tea making facility in the room, but it really didn't matter as the hotel served fresh tea and coffee in the mornings, iced tea and water throughout the day, and wine in the evenings. Staff were great
Not so good points: waiting time for the lift/elevator, and the shower was weaker than I'd expect in the USA, and it's a bit noisy - there is a fire station close by, but it didn't affect my sleep, I was just aware of it from time to time. None of this would put me off returning - and I'll definitely be looking at other hotels in the Group for my next visit to the USA. Thanks

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled on business

Dear JaneHH:

Thank you for the review you posted. We are so glad you had a great experience with us. I could not agree more that the location and staff truly make this hotel such a wonderful place to be - it's in the middle of everything.

We hope to catch up with you on your next visit to Chicago.

Reviewed July 26, 2013

My sister and i just returned from a long weekend in Chicago. We usually stay at the Embassy Suites by Navy Pier but decided to stay more "in town". This was the best decision we have ever made. We enjoyed coming back from a long day and sitting out front watching all the action. The rooms are small but well appointed. The staff are courteous and responsive. As always, love the wine hour and they even serve delicious pizza. We also had brunch at Sable (in the hotel) which I highly recommend. This is out 4th time staying at a Kimpton and I must say we're hooked :)

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled with friends
1  Thank Vanntastic

Dear Vanntastic:

Thank you for the wonderful review - we truly appreciate it. We are honored that you are in love with us - Kimpton is a great hotel company and we love working here and we hope it shows.

We hope to see you again soon.

Reviewed July 26, 2013

The location of the hotel is close to perfect for a weekend visit to Chicago. We arrived just after 3 and our room wasn't quite ready yet, so we enjoyed a delicious lunch at the bar at Sable's and room was ready soon thereafter. The location was PERFECT. Close to great everything - like very short walk close. Perfect for a 3 night 4 day, see as much of Chicago as we can trip.

It was the middle of the Heat Wave and upon reading TripAdvisor reviews, I requested a high floor, but got a little weary walking into a hot room on the 17th floor. The room's layout was extremely comfortable, luxurious and clean. Bathroom in the (Spa Suite) was incredible. The mattress left a little bit to be desired. But the AC was a problem. First, the duct was blowing away from the sleeping alcove towards the living room area, which didn't help anything. We complained each of the first 2 mornings, as our room could cool below 70 degrees as the sun set, but in the middle of the night when the sold out hotel all had their AC going at once, it could not cool the room below 70, so neither my wife nor I slept very well. Aside that, I really was impressed. I would recommend coming back, just maybe not a high floor or Spa Suite during a Heat Wave. It was my first Kimpton experience and I will be back to Kimpton, just wish I returned home more rested.

Room Tip: Away from the elevator and low floor during the summer (heat rises).
1  Thank Mark R
GMPalChi, General Manager at Kimpton Hotel Palomar Chicago, responded to this reviewResponded July 29, 2013

Dear FloridianINYC:

Thank you for your review - and I am so sorry that you had an AC problem in the room during the hot spell last week. Although heat rises, all of our rooms should be able to cool off to the same level, no matter of room floor and location. We will definitely look at the room you stayed in.

We appreciate the honest feedback and hope to see you again soon.

Reviewed July 25, 2013

We really enjoyed our stay at Palomar Chicago. There wasn't anything super spectacular about this Palomar (the Palomar in dallas is quite something), but the rooms were very clean, and hotel staff was wonderful and accommodating. It was my birthday and I had flowers and a bottle of wine in my room waiting for my husband and I. GREAT location to shopping/restaurants/El. Definitely will recommend to friends!

Room Tip: Request a higher floor for a great view, and to be further away from street noise...those ambulances...

Dear MeggyZ26:

I am glad we took such great care of you for your birthday. Thank you for celebrating with us - we truly appreciate your buisness and hope to see you again in the near future.

Reviewed July 24, 2013 via mobile

I travel for business to Chicago several times per year and have tried to stay loyal to the Starwood brand for my SPG status. I finally realized that I could find better options at even better value and decided to break free from the SPG loyalty program and try The Palomar for my most recent visit.

I was beyond satisfied with my choice to stay at The Palomar. They kept in touch with me (via email) throughout the entire time from when booked my stay to when I checked in. I was invited to join their loyalty program ( I did) and prepare for specialized and customized requests for my room -this provided me with the confidence I needed to know they were expecting me and there would be no disconnects with my reservation. There were none.

I had never stayed here before and based on TripAdvisor reviews- I called ahead and spoke with the front desk when I booked my reservation and asked them for their suggestions regarding a good view and a quiet room and they were very helpful.

Not only did I get a great room and a great view- I was upgraded to a suite and basically had an apartment-sized hotel room for my stay.
I had not stayed here before so I can't compare my accommodations to any other room and am not sure if I had amenities specific to a suite only. Truthfully it was more than I needed but it provided a great, homey feeling for me during my stay. Huge glass door shower with great water pressure and a big jet tub ( I didn't get around to using it ) nice Etro toiletries. Great selection of items in the honor bar- yoga mat- animal print bathrobe- ( errr I didn't use it)- great high threadcount sheets ( my guess is 800 threadcount) nice comfy bed- very clean room. Nothing broken or worn down or out.

Guest services, room service, front desk- all flawless and über professional. They lived up to all they promise and more. Simple things mean a lot and they greeted me by name each and every time I spoke with them. They were available to help me with anything at anytime. For example-

I forgot to arrange a ride to the airport for my flight home and called guest services at 1 am ( yes I was out for the evening and came back to my room a tad later than I had expected or wanted ) and asked if they'd be able to help me get that squared away and they did. Then the next morning I had them change my location for the car company and they promptly did that too.

I really enjoyed my stay at The Palomar Chicago. They provide all the amenities a business traveler needs combined with the attentiveness and exclusivity you expect from a luxury hotel AND the personalized service of a boutique hotel. Great place.

• Stayed: July 2013
4  Thank pickytraveler20

Dear LHO2024:

Thank you so much for your review - we truly appreciate it. To be able to compete with and win you over the Starwood SPG program is very satisfying for us, and we want to make sure we always live up to your expectations.

We hope to see you often, please be sure to reach out to me or my team if we can do anything to make your stays more comfortable and personal.