“Great location, friendly and attentive staff”

Kimpton Hotel Palomar Chicago
Ranked #13 of 189 Hotels in Chicago
GreenLeadersSilver level
London, United Kingdom
“Great location, friendly and attentive staff”
Reviewed July 26, 2013

I spent a week at the Palomar recently, organised through my firm's Chicago office. It was a very enjoyable 7 days. I had a good sized double aspect room on the 7th floor - it was great to have the sun shining in, despite the heatwave (yes, the ac is very effective!). The bed was extremely comfortable, the bathrobes were fun, the hair dryer was powerful, good etro toiletries, masses of powerpoints, and a yoga mat, with fitness DVDs available from the front desk. The room had no coffee/tea making facility in the room, but it really didn't matter as the hotel served fresh tea and coffee in the mornings, iced tea and water throughout the day, and wine in the evenings. Staff were great
Not so good points: waiting time for the lift/elevator, and the shower was weaker than I'd expect in the USA, and it's a bit noisy - there is a fire station close by, but it didn't affect my sleep, I was just aware of it from time to time. None of this would put me off returning - and I'll definitely be looking at other hotels in the Group for my next visit to the USA. Thanks

• Stayed July 2013, traveled on business
GMPalChi, General Manager at Kimpton Hotel Palomar Chicago, responded to this review, July 30, 2013
Dear JaneHH:

Thank you for the review you posted. We are so glad you had a great experience with us. I could not agree more that the location and staff truly make this hotel such a wonderful place to be - it's in the middle of everything.

We hope to catch up with you on your next visit to Chicago.

GM - Palomar Chicago

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (625)
Medford, New Jersey
Reviewed July 26, 2013

My sister and i just returned from a long weekend in Chicago. We usually stay at the Embassy Suites by Navy Pier but decided to stay more "in town". This was the best decision we have ever made. We enjoyed coming back from a long day and sitting out front watching all the action. The rooms are small but well appointed. The staff are courteous and responsive. As always, love the wine hour and they even serve delicious pizza. We also had brunch at Sable (in the hotel) which I highly recommend. This is out 4th time staying at a Kimpton and I must say we're hooked :)

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with friends
1 Thank Vanntastic
Dear Vanntastic:

Thank you for the wonderful review - we truly appreciate it. We are honored that you are in love with us - Kimpton is a great hotel company and we love working here and we hope it shows.

We hope to see you again soon.

Huntington, New York
Reviewed July 26, 2013

The location of the hotel is close to perfect for a weekend visit to Chicago. We arrived just after 3 and our room wasn't quite ready yet, so we enjoyed a delicious lunch at the bar at Sable's and room was ready soon thereafter. The location was PERFECT. Close to great everything - like very short walk close. Perfect for a 3 night 4 day, see as much of Chicago as we can trip.

It was the middle of the Heat Wave and upon reading TripAdvisor reviews, I requested a high floor, but got a little weary walking into a hot room on the 17th floor. The room's layout was extremely comfortable, luxurious and clean. Bathroom in the (Spa Suite) was incredible. The mattress left a little bit to be desired. But the AC was a problem. First, the duct was blowing away from the sleeping alcove towards the living room area, which didn't help anything. We complained each of the first 2 mornings, as our room could cool below 70 degrees as the sun set, but in the middle of the night when the sold out hotel all had their AC going at once, it could not cool the room below 70, so neither my wife nor I slept very well. Aside that, I really was impressed. I would recommend coming back, just maybe not a high floor or Spa Suite during a Heat Wave. It was my first Kimpton experience and I will be back to Kimpton, just wish I returned home more rested.

Room Tip: Away from the elevator and low floor during the summer (heat rises).
Green Features: Typical Hang Your Towel signs. Nothing out of the ordinary as far as green.
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Mark R
GMPalChi, General Manager at Kimpton Hotel Palomar Chicago, responded to this review, July 29, 2013
Dear FloridianINYC:

Thank you for your review - and I am so sorry that you had an AC problem in the room during the hot spell last week. Although heat rises, all of our rooms should be able to cool off to the same level, no matter of room floor and location. We will definitely look at the room you stayed in.

We appreciate the honest feedback and hope to see you again soon.

Dallas, Texas
Reviewed July 25, 2013

We really enjoyed our stay at Palomar Chicago. There wasn't anything super spectacular about this Palomar (the Palomar in dallas is quite something), but the rooms were very clean, and hotel staff was wonderful and accommodating. It was my birthday and I had flowers and a bottle of wine in my room waiting for my husband and I. GREAT location to shopping/restaurants/El. Definitely will recommend to friends!

Room Tip: Request a higher floor for a great view, and to be further away from street noise...those ambulances...
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear MeggyZ26:

I am glad we took such great care of you for your birthday. Thank you for celebrating with us - we truly appreciate your buisness and hope to see you again in the near future.

Boston, Massachusetts
Reviewed July 24, 2013 via mobile

I travel for business to Chicago several times per year and have tried to stay loyal to the Starwood brand for my SPG status. I finally realized that I could find better options at even better value and decided to break free from the SPG loyalty program and try The Palomar for my most recent visit.

I was beyond satisfied with my choice to stay at The Palomar. They kept in touch with me (via email) throughout the entire time from when booked my stay to when I checked in. I was invited to join their loyalty program ( I did) and prepare for specialized and customized requests for my room -this provided me with the confidence I needed to know they were expecting me and there would be no disconnects with my reservation. There were none.

I had never stayed here before and based on TripAdvisor reviews- I called ahead and spoke with the front desk when I booked my reservation and asked them for their suggestions regarding a good view and a quiet room and they were very helpful.

Not only did I get a great room and a great view- I was upgraded to a suite and basically had an apartment-sized hotel room for my stay.
I had not stayed here before so I can't compare my accommodations to any other room and am not sure if I had amenities specific to a suite only. Truthfully it was more than I needed but it provided a great, homey feeling for me during my stay. Huge glass door shower with great water pressure and a big jet tub ( I didn't get around to using it ) nice Etro toiletries. Great selection of items in the honor bar- yoga mat- animal print bathrobe- ( errr I didn't use it)- great high threadcount sheets ( my guess is 800 threadcount) nice comfy bed- very clean room. Nothing broken or worn down or out.

Guest services, room service, front desk- all flawless and über professional. They lived up to all they promise and more. Simple things mean a lot and they greeted me by name each and every time I spoke with them. They were available to help me with anything at anytime. For example-

I forgot to arrange a ride to the airport for my flight home and called guest services at 1 am ( yes I was out for the evening and came back to my room a tad later than I had expected or wanted ) and asked if they'd be able to help me get that squared away and they did. Then the next morning I had them change my location for the car company and they promptly did that too.

I really enjoyed my stay at The Palomar Chicago. They provide all the amenities a business traveler needs combined with the attentiveness and exclusivity you expect from a luxury hotel AND the personalized service of a boutique hotel. Great place.

• Stayed July 2013
4 Thank Leanne O
Dear LHO2024:

Thank you so much for your review - we truly appreciate it. To be able to compete with and win you over the Starwood SPG program is very satisfying for us, and we want to make sure we always live up to your expectations.

We hope to see you often, please be sure to reach out to me or my team if we can do anything to make your stays more comfortable and personal.

Edmond, Oklahoma, United States
Reviewed July 23, 2013 via mobile

Location was great! Just one block from Michigan Ave. and close to Hubbard which has great restaurants. It was my first trip to Chicago for pleasure and I will stay there again. It's small so you get extra attention from valet and front desk staff.

Stayed July 2013, traveled with friends
GMPalChi, General Manager at Kimpton Hotel Palomar Chicago, responded to this review, July 24, 2013
Dear Heather H:

Thank you for your review - we agree the area is excellent for dining and fun things to do - we look forward to welcoming you back soon.

Boston
Reviewed July 23, 2013

I booked at Palomar based on Trip Advisor and I am happy I did so. The hotel was clean, modern, updated, and convenient to the areas I needed to go. The front desk staff was very helpful, professional, and responsive. My room's sink wasn't draining, so I notified the front desk. Quickly fixed with no muss or fuss. (Honestly, I kind of like it when I have a problem at a hotel because it lets me see just how they handle interactions with customers.)

The room itself was comfortable. Linens and color scheme was fine, and there were plenty of towels. I liked the flowered carpet in my room, and the dark wood furnishings were nicely done. No issues with the TV or minibar. There were plenty of easily accessible plugs, and even a few powered free-standing USB ports! Wifi worked fine (just join Kimpton In Touch to get it free). Bathroom was spacious with plenty of mirrors, including a full-length on the exterior bathroom door and a magnifying mirror.

Didn't hit the pool, but I did try out the gym. There were a few treadmills, a few ellipticals, a regular bike, a recumbent bike, and then plenty of mats, weights, and space to move for free weights or other workouts. There was also water and towels (I know, you wouldn't think this would need to be specified, but there you go).

Dinner and drinks one night were at the bar at Sable, the attached restaurant. Also excellent service, great food, and the bartender was willing to make special cocktails (yum!!!) based on what you were eating.

One small caveat: State St. is busy. I was woken both nights of my stay by emergency vehicles rocketing by. I would have thought that the windows would be more soundproof, and if I were to improve one thing about the hotel, that's what it would be.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled on business
2 Thank K P
Dear K P:

Thank you for such a detailed and thorough review - sounds like you truly had a blast in Chicago. Thanks for chosing to stay with us.

You are correct about the entire River North area being busy - it is arguably the most vibrant and exciting part of town and has all of the best restaurants, bars, shopping and art galleries in the entire CIty. Our guest room windows are double paned, but even then the noise of cars and sirens and traffic is just a normal part of downtown living.

We hope to see you again in the future.