“Amazing hotel and staff”

Kimpton Hotel Palomar Chicago
Ranked #13 of 190 Hotels in Chicago
GreenLeadersSilver level
Folsom, California
“Amazing hotel and staff”
Reviewed November 8, 2012

We stayed here for 5 nights and were treated like royalty. The hotel is fairly new (2 years old). It is in the middle of downtown, near everything. A ton of restaurants within walking distance. We had the 1 bedroom king room. It was amazing. It had a separate bedroom, a living area and a huge bathroom with a soaking tub with jets and air bubbles. Very very nice hotel. Comfy beds and pillows.

The staff is amazing. They treat you very well and are so sweet. They will do anything for you (within reason).

• Stayed November 2012, traveled on business
GMPalChi, General Manager at Kimpton Hotel Palomar Chicago, responded to this review, November 13, 2012
Dear Jenn H:

Thank you so much for such a wonderful review and for complimenting us. We love to hear all about the great things that we did and how we made you feel. We also love our location, it truly is in the middle of everything.

We hope to see you again soon.

GM - Palomar Chicago

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (630)
Fairfield, Connecticut
Reviewed November 8, 2012 via mobile

We are big fans of Kimpton Hotels and the Palomar is no exception. The location is great, being convenient to Clark Street restaurants, Michigan Avenue shopping, the river, the Red Line and the Loop. And like all Kimptons we've stayed at, the Palomar has its own style, has a friendly and helpful staff, is pet friendly, has a wine hour each day, and is reasonably priced. (We used to stay at the Peninsula but now see no reason to spend all that extra money.). They really know how to do it right.

However, because each Kimpton has its own unique personality, we may try the Monaco, Burnam or Allegro the next time we are in Chicago depending on our itinerary. It's fun looking forward to a stay in a new one.

Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
Dear Bic20:

Thank you for writing such a great review, we truly do appreciate it and take notice of all the feedback we get. We thank you for wanting to stay at all of our Chicago hotels - they are truly unique hotels all displaying their own personalities.

We can't wait to see you again.

New York
Reviewed November 8, 2012

Upon check-in the very gracious Palomar staff upgraded me to a pretty nice suite. I don't know what I did to deserve that but I wasn't asking. The suite was very clean and spacious, the bed was super comfortable and the jacuzzi was a blessing after a long day.

My only complaint was that the WiFi was pretty horrible and my plan to put in a few hours of work before an event went down the drain. Even after signing up for the Kimpton membership for free WiFi, it was just a nightmare. I ended up working on my BB which was very time consuming.

As a business traveler, Wifi is super important. I'm not sure if I could stay here again.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled on business
Dear DRoman:

Thank you for your review, but we are truly so sorry about the Wifi issues. It is surprising that you had such a tough time using it especially given the fact that we really had no issues with any other Wifi in the building at all, nor any other customer complaints. In fact our hotel ranks at the top of our internal survey rankings for Wifi quality. Sometimes, users do have firewalls from their company that prevent a successful connection. Once again, we are truly sorry.

However, I am glad that we were able to have you experience one of our suites and that you found the staff to be very gracious.

Boston, Massachusetts
Reviewed November 6, 2012

I often go with Kimpton Hotels because I know they'll be utterly clean and just a bit luxurious, but not so luxurious that I feel I'm overindulging on my employer's budget.

This Kimpton was as nice as they all are: excellent, comfy bed, nice fluffy pillows, etc. The room had a very workable desk, oriented at an angle so it took advantage of the high-rise view, rather than just looking at a wall.

The pool and fitness center looked great -- next time I hope to have time to do more than just peek at them. There is an outdoor terrace near the fitness center, which would be nice in warm weather.

The restaurant breakfast was good, and service was attentive.

There is a good-sized sitting room off the lobby where free coffee and newspapers are provided in the mornings.

1 Thank EZGtraveler
Dear EZGtraveler:

Thanks for the compliments on the review you just wrote. We appreciate it and hope we can be your home in Chicago on your next visit.

All the best.

Houston, Texas
Reviewed November 6, 2012

There is no doubt the hotel design is beautiful. However, with such an expectation sometimes comes an "uppity" staff. Thank goodness, not here! Flew in from Texas for my father's 75th birthday. Growing up as a resident in Chicago one is not surprised the locals are friendly, but landing in a posh hotel like the Palomar expectations still might be swayed. We were pleasantly surprised by all of the staff who, although maintaining their roles, still went out of their way to make sure we felt welcomed and were accommodated. Special thanks to the early staff at the Sable Kitchen & Bar who took care of my coffee between service times; for Bleu, the front doorsman, who was always up for conversation as well as helping find the night's agenda and a special thanks to Colby at the front desk. He was not only attentive, but creative and has a great sense of humor. We'll never forget the champagne surprise. Thank you very much Colby! Palomar is lucky to have you.

P.S. The animal print robes - totally awesome! Great touch.

Room Tip: Ask for corner rooms. Be sure to say hi to Colby!
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled with family
Dear MaryFrancesB:

Thank you so much for your really wonderful review. We truly appreciate it and are so happy about the fact that you called out Bleu and Cody from our front office team.

Tell your dad Happy Birthday for us again and maybe we can do it all over again nex year.

Adelaide, Australia
Reviewed November 5, 2012

Our stay in Chicago was a pleasant surprise. A great clean seemingly safe city with amazing architecture and easy access to transport.
The Palomar was very well placed, being close to shops and sites.
Room good comfortable standard and quiet without being lavish. Great staff and good breakfast facilities.
General close location to many good restaurants and easy walk to waterfront and magnificent mile shopping precinct.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
Dear Paul C:

Thank you so much for the recent review you left us. We truly appreciate it. We hope to see you again when you visit Chicago.

Morristown, Arizona
Reviewed November 5, 2012

So the location alone is just perfect, but the hotel is all around great. Every interaction with the staff here impressed me. They were real people that were super helpful before, during and even after checkout. The concierge Bobby helped us on our arrival with lunch suggestions, nearby salon & barber, and nightlife thoughts. All of the staff here were just great- wow...from not just asking how I was, but asking about my day & shopping adventure when it was obvious that I had been out enjoying...to a bellman asking if I needed help with directions, me sharing I was taking the train across the street and him suggesting that I walk a few blocks to avoid the train transfer- it was the best walk of my week! Just beautiful!...I left my cell phone & had to return to the hotel to find it after checking out. The head of housekeeping met me to help me look for it with success...there was even a staff pumpkin carving contest on display during our halloween stay- just fun even for us business travelers.
There is a wine reception in the evenings that was a nice way to start the evening.
We stayed in a suite & enjoyed the spaciousness of the room. The decor was nice- which some of the photos make it look dreary. It is not at all- just a clean look & feel to the rooms. It had a huge fuji tub that was relaxing.
I was super impressed with the quality of their room service menu- well done! I enjoyed egg whites with veggies and fresh fruit for breakfast. For lunches I had a tomato soup & great salad- tomatoes, cucumbers, avocado, blue cheese- it was just yummy. I had no reason to go out for great food when it was so good at the hotel- yea!
Again, just a great stay all around! I do recommend becoming a Kimpton member before you go to enjoy the benefits that go with that- free wireless & even a discount on in room massages.

Room Tip: Our room faced another building, so did not have a view at all- I would just ask next time to avoid...
Dear Keleeisenhauer:

Wow - we can't thank you enough for such a detailed and thorough review - I am sure it will help other travelers truly plan their stay in Chicago.

Thank you for calling out Bobby our concierge and the bell and door guys. They are all a true asset to our hotel.

We hope to continue to be your first choice when you come back to Chicago.