“Very Pleasant Stay...Terrible WiFi”

Kimpton Hotel Palomar Chicago
Ranked #13 of 192 Hotels in Chicago
GreenLeadersSilver level
Reviewed November 8, 2012

Upon check-in the very gracious Palomar staff upgraded me to a pretty nice suite. I don't know what I did to deserve that but I wasn't asking. The suite was very clean and spacious, the bed was super comfortable and the jacuzzi was a blessing after a long day.

My only complaint was that the WiFi was pretty horrible and my plan to put in a few hours of work before an event went down the drain. Even after signing up for the Kimpton membership for free WiFi, it was just a nightmare. I ended up working on my BB which was very time consuming.

As a business traveler, Wifi is super important. I'm not sure if I could stay here again.

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled on business
GMPalChi, General Manager at Kimpton Hotel Palomar Chicago, responded to this reviewResponded November 13, 2012

Dear DRoman:

Thank you for your review, but we are truly so sorry about the Wifi issues. It is surprising that you had such a tough time using it especially given the fact that we really had no issues with any other Wifi in the building at all, nor any other customer complaints. In fact our hotel ranks at the top of our internal survey rankings for Wifi quality. Sometimes, users do have firewalls from their company that prevent a successful connection. Once again, we are truly sorry.

However, I am glad that we were able to have you experience one of our suites and that you found the staff to be very gracious.

GM - Palomar Chicago

Write a ReviewReviews (2,798)

Reviewed November 6, 2012

I often go with Kimpton Hotels because I know they'll be utterly clean and just a bit luxurious, but not so luxurious that I feel I'm overindulging on my employer's budget.

This Kimpton was as nice as they all are: excellent, comfy bed, nice fluffy pillows, etc. The room had a very workable desk, oriented at an angle so it took advantage of the high-rise view, rather than just looking at a wall.

The pool and fitness center looked great -- next time I hope to have time to do more than just peek at them. There is an outdoor terrace near the fitness center, which would be nice in warm weather.

The restaurant breakfast was good, and service was attentive.

There is a good-sized sitting room off the lobby where free coffee and newspapers are provided in the mornings.

• Stayed: November 2012, traveled on business
1  Thank EZGtraveler

Dear EZGtraveler:

Thanks for the compliments on the review you just wrote. We appreciate it and hope we can be your home in Chicago on your next visit.

All the best.

Reviewed November 6, 2012

There is no doubt the hotel design is beautiful. However, with such an expectation sometimes comes an "uppity" staff. Thank goodness, not here! Flew in from Texas for my father's 75th birthday. Growing up as a resident in Chicago one is not surprised the locals are friendly, but landing in a posh hotel like the Palomar expectations still might be swayed. We were pleasantly surprised by all of the staff who, although maintaining their roles, still went out of their way to make sure we felt welcomed and were accommodated. Special thanks to the early staff at the Sable Kitchen & Bar who took care of my coffee between service times; for Bleu, the front doorsman, who was always up for conversation as well as helping find the night's agenda and a special thanks to Colby at the front desk. He was not only attentive, but creative and has a great sense of humor. We'll never forget the champagne surprise. Thank you very much Colby! Palomar is lucky to have you.

P.S. The animal print robes - totally awesome! Great touch.

Room Tip: Ask for corner rooms. Be sure to say hi to Colby!
  • Stayed: October 2012, traveled with family

Dear MaryFrancesB:

Thank you so much for your really wonderful review. We truly appreciate it and are so happy about the fact that you called out Bleu and Cody from our front office team.

Tell your dad Happy Birthday for us again and maybe we can do it all over again nex year.

Reviewed November 5, 2012

Our stay in Chicago was a pleasant surprise. A great clean seemingly safe city with amazing architecture and easy access to transport.
The Palomar was very well placed, being close to shops and sites.
Room good comfortable standard and quiet without being lavish. Great staff and good breakfast facilities.
General close location to many good restaurants and easy walk to waterfront and magnificent mile shopping precinct.

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled as a couple

Dear Paul C:

Thank you so much for the recent review you left us. We truly appreciate it. We hope to see you again when you visit Chicago.

Reviewed November 5, 2012

So the location alone is just perfect, but the hotel is all around great. Every interaction with the staff here impressed me. They were real people that were super helpful before, during and even after checkout. The concierge Bobby helped us on our arrival with lunch suggestions, nearby salon & barber, and nightlife thoughts. All of the staff here were just great- wow...from not just asking how I was, but asking about my day & shopping adventure when it was obvious that I had been out enjoying...to a bellman asking if I needed help with directions, me sharing I was taking the train across the street and him suggesting that I walk a few blocks to avoid the train transfer- it was the best walk of my week! Just beautiful!...I left my cell phone & had to return to the hotel to find it after checking out. The head of housekeeping met me to help me look for it with success...there was even a staff pumpkin carving contest on display during our halloween stay- just fun even for us business travelers.
There is a wine reception in the evenings that was a nice way to start the evening.
We stayed in a suite & enjoyed the spaciousness of the room. The decor was nice- which some of the photos make it look dreary. It is not at all- just a clean look & feel to the rooms. It had a huge fuji tub that was relaxing.
I was super impressed with the quality of their room service menu- well done! I enjoyed egg whites with veggies and fresh fruit for breakfast. For lunches I had a tomato soup & great salad- tomatoes, cucumbers, avocado, blue cheese- it was just yummy. I had no reason to go out for great food when it was so good at the hotel- yea!
Again, just a great stay all around! I do recommend becoming a Kimpton member before you go to enjoy the benefits that go with that- free wireless & even a discount on in room massages.

Room Tip: Our room faced another building, so did not have a view at all- I would just ask next time to avoid...
  • Stayed: November 2012, traveled on business

Dear Keleeisenhauer:

Wow - we can't thank you enough for such a detailed and thorough review - I am sure it will help other travelers truly plan their stay in Chicago.

Thank you for calling out Bobby our concierge and the bell and door guys. They are all a true asset to our hotel.

We hope to continue to be your first choice when you come back to Chicago.

Reviewed November 5, 2012

Staff was excellent, very helpful.
Hotel is clean and centrally located.
Street noise, fire engines in particular, might be an issue for light sleepers.
Restaurant in the hotel was great, ate there twice.
Room was large enough to stretch out on the floor, which I like to do after a long day.
Each floor had different art work opposite the elevator doors, so as the doors opened on each floor, you got a brief view of some new art.
Concierge very helpful, got tickets to sold out Second City performance for us.
Recommend the river architecture tour.
If you plan on going to any of the more renowned dining establishments, be sure to reserve ahead of time. Some restaurants were booking several weeks (or more), in advance.
Had a very special dinner at Takashi restaurant, highly recommended.
Oh, the hotel has a wine tasting every evening in the lobby area, a nice touch. You can actually have a nice social time with other travelers, compare experiences,etc.
Overall, we had a great time in Chicago and enjoyed our stay at the Palomar Chicago.

Room Tip: Higher floors may have less noise.
  • Stayed: October 2012, traveled as a couple

Dear texypoo2:

Thank you so much for the great review - we are so pleased we were able to help you have a memorable experience in Chicago. We too love the nightly wine reception, as it also allows us to meet our guests.

We hope you will come back and visit soon.

Reviewed November 5, 2012

We recently spent 3 nights at the Palomar hotel. This was almost perfect. First, a great location close to the Magnificent Mile and close to the Chicago River. Next door, you find plenty of good restaurants, bars and jazz clubs. It's a kind of boutique hotel with great staff. Very efficient, very customer minded and very helpfull. The room was quite large, with a nice view over the city on the 17th top floor. We had a corner room....There is a pool and a gym at the same floor with scenic views . Breakfast is good and lobby bar is very popular and seems trendy. There is a free wine reception every evening. A place to recommend and great value for money.

Room Tip: 17th floor...next to the pool...next to the gym....
  • Stayed: November 2012, traveled as a couple

Dear mannecker :

Thank you for the very kind review you left for us. We appreciate all of the great tips for other TA reviewers and we look forward to your return one day.