“Nice hotel”

GreenLeadersSilver level
New York City
“Nice hotel”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 8, 2012

Liked the hotel despite very noisy wedding party next door - they partied mostly in the hall and the doors are NOT soundproof. Beautiful pool and wonderful breakfast room service. best blueberry preserves ever. Was not crazy about dinner at hotel restaurant - too many flavors mangled together - a sort of amateur approach to cuisine. Martini served in a cordial glass - why? Ruined the martini for me. Good location. Internet free but cords and plugs too short, and impossible to adjust without moving major pieces of furniture so couldn't use my laptop easily. Had a surge protector which also had a short cord so I spent most of my time picking it up from the floor and trying to keep my devices plugged in. These kind of details should have been trouble shot long ago. Probably would stay again, but I would not eat in the restaurant again.

• Stayed February 2012, traveled on business

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (617)
CHICAGO
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 8, 2012

Although we live in Chicago we stayed here recently to attend our Company party and give our children a night of "luxury". It was the night of the "surprise" snow storm and after 2 hours getting to the hotel from the near north side we were all more than ready for a relaxing evening. Being centrally located we could walk everywhere we needed and return to an amazing suite, and I mean amazing. Contemporary styled, comfortable, clean, and extremely spacious. The service was amazing, the staff were very friendly and accomodating. It all just had a great feel about it. We had room service which was fantastic and we also ate at Sable for brunch and the food there was outstanding. I would stay here again in a heartbeat. I love Kimpton....and if there is one in the city we're travelling to, we search it out. I hope they go international...they would be so popular!

• Stayed January 2012, traveled with family
NW Indiana
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 8, 2012

Had a great stay here on Sat., Feb.4. Rooms are very nice and modern, bed was great. Love the wine reception from 5:00 to 6;00. Had a great breakfast in their restaraunt Sable on Sun. morning. Our 3rd time staying here, and we will certainly be back. Staff could not be more helpful.

Room Tip: Corner rooms have great views and seem a bit bigger.
  • Stayed February 2012, traveled as a couple
Rumford, Rhode Island
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 8, 2012

I haven't been to a Kimpton Hotel that didn't under-promise and over-deliver and this one is no exception. Many have said the obvious highlights. I will try to speak of some distinctions:

1. Small, intimate lobby that caters to customer service.

2. Wine hour, plenty of good coffee and tea each morning, nice seating and fireplace. Cool.

3. Hallways on each floor are wide and give you a feeling of staying in something other than a hotel. Unique.

4. Grocery store across the street and down one block. Plenty of restaurants, bars, coffee shops with 3 minute walk. Church just a 5 minute walk away.

5. Restaurant is excellent, nice bar area too. Off to the side in another area so it doesn't crowd or blemish the reception area. Good move.

6. Beds are great, pillows excellent. Big flat screens, plenty of desk space.

7. Love the plug carousel for charging all the things we carry these days. Smart move.

Paid $161 with AA discount for a weekday! I will stay here again.

• Stayed February 2012, traveled with family
1 Thank DeansDesk
GMPalChi, General Manager at Kimpton Hotel Palomar Chicago, responded to this review, February 10, 2012
Dear DeansDesk:

Thank you so much for your review and detailed explanantion of why you truly enjoyed our hotel and Sable our restaurant. It is always appreciated.

Sometines as an operator it would be helpful to know why some TA reviewers give us a four star review when all of the comments and ratings they give are basically positive and five stars. We try to learn from these reviews and the feedback sometimes does not match the ratings.

DeansDesk - thanks again for your feedback.

Warm regards,

Bloomington, Illinois
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 7, 2012

When visiting Chicago we usually stay at the Hotel Monaco but on our last visit we decided to inquire about the Palomar. Upon visiting the lobby the front desk personnel offered their assistance. After telling them we were just checking the place out for a possible upcoming visit and telling them we usually stay at the Monaco the lady offered to let us view a room. We were allowed to view a corner spa room. It was excellent. Our next trip is scheduled for Feb 17th with a reservation at the Palomar. My only critique is the reservation process. I wish there was the ability to reserve a corner room or specify upper floor. Both of which are desired for the upcoming visit but we will just have to take our luck on what we get. I look forward to writing a great review after our upcoming visit.

Room Tip: Join the In Touch program, you get a few nice perks.
  • Stayed January 2012, traveled as a couple
2 Thank cssccssc
Chicago, Illinois
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 5, 2012

Although I have lived in Chicago for years and occasionally spend a weekend downtown, I was unaware of this little gem. The hotel is well-located to attractions, shopping, and restaurants. The decor is elegant and modern. The lounge area with the compimentary wine hour in the evenings and the coffe/tea service in the mornings is a nice touch.

We had booked a one-bedroom luxury suite and a double queen room for six women celebration a special birthday. One woman in our group is a frequent guest at this hotel so she was able to procure a very good rate. She also asked that special note be made of the birthday celebration and asked for wine and a small cake to be delivered to the room - not necessarily complimentary but to have these items available. By the day of check-in she had not heard back from the concierge and expressed her disappointment at the front desk. They quickly made amends by first, delivering wine, nuts, fruit, and chocolate-covered espresso beans. Then at 5, two excellent cheese plates were delivered. When we returned to the room after dinner, a small strawberry shortcake cake was waiting for us. We we also given an extra cot at no extra charge for the suite.

The service, decor, and charm of this hotel will have me back for a repeat visit.

• Stayed January 2012, traveled with friends
GMPalChi, General Manager at Kimpton Hotel Palomar Chicago, responded to this review, February 7, 2012
Dear singermom4:

Thank you so much for the wonderful review you left for us. I am glad we were able to make the birthday weekend a great success for you and the other ladies.

I hope we can do it all again very soon.

All the best,

Los Angeles, California
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 5, 2012

I stayed at the Palomar in January and thought it was a very clean, modern, and conveniently located hotel. Hotel staff was very friendly and helpful. The best part of my stay was stopping in the bar that's attached, Sable, and trying their drinks. Best cocktails ever! The only con to this hotel is their room service. I ordered from them twice, and both times I was very disappointed. I ordered fish tacos and it was like they chopped up some dried up fish sticks and put them in a tortilla. The tomato soup was way too salty and I thought I was going to have a sodium overdose. So in summary, I would definitely recommend Hotel Palomar but just make the effort to go out and eat.

• Stayed January 2012, traveled solo
Dear Kimberly Y:

We really appreciate the review you wrote and we are very glad that you enjoyed the hotel and Sable. Their cocktails are really some of the best around. Sorry to hear that you did not enjoy the in-room dining as much.

We look forward to welcoming you back to the Palomar Chicago soon.

Warm regards,