“Tasty Meal (Without Reservation!)”
Review of Sprout - CLOSED

Neighborhood: Lincoln Park
Cross street: Southport
Transit: Fullerton Red and Brown Line
Reviewed September 30, 2012

We have been to this restaurant on a couple of previous occassions and have had spectacular experiences. This was another very good experience, although a few steps short of spectacular. Still, it was a tasty dinner.

One thing I really liked: we did not make reservations anywhere for Friday night dinner (because we weren't sure what time our plans with a friend would end). I was able to call Sprout as we were leaving a bar, and we got a table without a problem. So, that was nice -- I like a fancy place that has some flexibility for walk-in tables.

Service-wise, we had a pretty good experience. Our server was very friendly and super-knowledgeable about the menu. Service fell a bit short, though, with timely clean-up of plates after each course (I HATE waiting and waiting for dirty plates to be cleared at a fancy restaurant), food being presented to the wrong person (again, when you're spending $30 on an entree, I think the staff should present it to the right person), and extremely lukewarm, sat-out-for-hours coffee being served at dessert (replaced with a new pot quickly, but after the dessert had been eaten).

Food-wise, it was another delicious experience. The menu had been changed since our last visit -- good to see variety. There were appealing options for appetizers, mains, and desserts. A pumpkin soup as an appetizer was incredibly satisfying, and the fish I had with my main was perfectly cooked. My partner had a scallop appetizers that was gorgeously plated and tasted incredibly good. His main course, a lamb, was tasty but not show-stopping. For dessert, my partner's chocolate dish was delicious; my lemon dish was a bit underwhelming. Overall, a pleasing meal...by no means nothing bad, but a few plates that were better than others.

The space continues to be cool. We sat in the front room, which is sort of an enclosed patio. It's a fun atmosphere. There was a brief miss in that the wood railing next to the plants, on which I rested my arm, was soaking wet from the watering of the plants -- no big deal (water dries, after all), but an attention-to-detail issue that a restaurant at this price point should not overlook. The restroom was similar -- it needed a scrub and supply refreshment in a big way.

So, not the drop-your-socks-off experience of previous visits for brunch and dinner, but a good meal nevertheless. We'll go back, if not quite as fervently as before.

Reviewed September 9, 2012

Have eaten here three times. The food and service have always been outstanding. We had the tasting menu this last time, and enjoyed it immensely. The food is very creative, but not over the top. The staff are helpful and courteous without being too familiar or too formal. My second time there was with a friend who is also a foodie. He was very much impressed.

That being said, it is a bit north of the loop, but not too far of a trip.

If you like imaginative food, you will not go wrong here. If you are looking for platters of food, or steak and potatoes, you will be disappointed.

Reviewed September 2, 2012

It's a little far from downtown, 20 minutes. This is gourmet american and new. The chefs/owners focus on enhancing natural flavors and not covering/confusing the taste of the fresh fare.

Reviewed August 12, 2012

3 of us ate there on a Saturday night. We did make reservations a week or so in advance. We each ordered an appetizer, entree and a dessert so we could share and taste different things. For the first course, we had the veal, foie gras, and a licorice salad with feta and pears. Each was delicious. The veal was so tender... For dinner we had salmon, halibut and chicken. Both fish were done to perfection with all kinds of other things on the plate. The chicken was probably my least favorite but was still good. Dessert was a zucchini cake with beets and chocolate ( very different combinations but good) served with carrot ice cream, a chocolate cake which was to die for with chocolate ice cream with potato chips crushed inside, and some kind of blueberry thing with blueberry sorbet. When you look at the menu you have no idea what anything is so don't hesitate to ask your waiter what everything is. Ours was extremely knowledgeable and happy to answer all questions. Also, the chef is wonderful if you have any allergies or food issues. I can't eat onions and they were very happy to alter all the dishes.

Reviewed July 28, 2012

Walked in on a Thursday night-- only a few tables occupied, kinda quiet. Felt like everyone could hear my whole conversation. First course was so-so-- I had just had scallops and the girl & the goat and these scallops paled in comparison, foie gras was decent. It got much better though. We moved on to halibut and lamb, both exquisite, but the absolute best part was the coconut dessert with frozen juice shavings on top-- I loved it so much I asked for more of the frozen juice to put on top-- which they very nicely obliged. the combination of the coconut mousse with the watermelon slushee was divine.

A bit pricey, but a great meal.